Hoh

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by theonethatgotaway, Jan 11, 2012.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

That last sentence nails why this may be won by the folks who want to C&R their share. The verbage is if the other party lacks the infrastructure for the harvest. Since we don't have a problem with that, it *must* be challenged in court.

2. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

So if I understand, we should all be reporting retention of our one allotted wild fish regardless of actually keeping said fish? That small act would skew the data and allow the tribes to harvest less? Lets start a movement. Guides could certainly explain the benefits to their sports and punch the cards for them. Every recreational fisherman in the state who buys the card could punch out on the Hoh regardless if they fished it or not.

3. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Hmmmm, its good to see everyone wants do do something, its not surprising folks are unclear on whats best. Many guides have been maxing out there native cards forever trying to skew the data, the creeling kind of balances it out, and only a percentage of the cards are checked any way. My feeling here is that most of the data we have on these systems is so bad that it can't even be called "science'. I have decided not to contribute to more bad data so I just tell the truth to the State and let the chips fall where they may.
    As for the Hoh netters, say what you will but they have shown incredible improvement over the last few years on their adherence to fishing days and their willingness to work around sport anglers, I am not saying its a good thing but as a guy who has to work with them every day I have to give them some props for their improvement.
    I have observed a big difference in fish behavior in the Hoh when boats are not present, and I believe you could probably establish a "no fishing from boats zone" without pissing off too many locals if you were willing to compromise a bit, it would probably save a few fish.
    But you WOULD have to compromise, and help out local businesses with some incentives. It would be worth trying simply as an exercise in cooperation if nothing else.( we are going to need some team building if we are going to make any progress)
    As far as the crowding issue, there have been tons of fish the last few years and epic fishing weather, ask any guide anywhere what the biggest cause of crowding is and he or she will tell you, GREAT FISHING. For those of you who have not been fishing the hoh very long trust me, it will suck again soon no matter what we do, and after a few shitty seasons almost everyone will go home.
    Don't get me wrong, I think there is a lot to do and I think everyone should make an effort to make positive changes and I applaud everyone who is doing so.

4. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

I don't know anyone who owns a boat myself included that wants no fishing from water craft.....bunch wussies!!! Stop crying.....

5. sleestak240

sleestak240 Active Member

Home Page:
    Bhudda, I own a boat...and I like the idea and think it would be beneficial in certain areas on the Sol Duc and Hoh. We're not talking about a blanket closure. A guide who has spent countless days on the rivers of the OP has said it might prove to be beneficial (although certainly not the answer to all of our woes). What's your beef against the concept bhudda?

6. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

The concept itself!! You gonna give up driving because of better air quality? Air is important ya? No?...or just on certain hwy's???....my opinion is people who really are catching lots of fish think conservatively for fish,people who done catch fish wanna cock block everyone who is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!period.......

7. sleestak240

Home Page:
    I think my reading comprehension skills can interpret your mangled statement here.

I can assure you that isn't the case, advocates of this idea catch plenty of steelhead from these rivers (both from boats and on foot). We're considering ways to reduce the impact of displaced pressure on the fisheries of the OP...not "cock block" other fisherman. But now I think I'll term this the "bhudda cock block concept" since you've presented it as such.

If you we're so confident in your ability to catch steelhead you wouldn't have to try and puff up your chest on the internet and offend people who are trying to enact change. Stand up and pat yourself on the back...we're all in awe of your prowess. Clearly the concept behind this is beyond you.

8. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

So what would be a reasonable proposal for no fishing from boats on the Hoh?
    It's of course gonna upset gear fishermen more than fly guys.
    If I had my way I'd institute no fishing from boats seasonally on certian sections on several rivers. Also ban motors in more places.------ All just a spey guy's prejudiced desires.
    If there is to be any quality in the fishing experience on these rivers something will have to be done. Without some measure there will be (already is) a natural selection for fishermen that like or can tolerate crowded conditions. Also, once gear fishermen take over a section of river, forget about swinging flies. (Not bashing gear fishermen, but fly guys are left out when conditions reach that proportion). I think many gear fishermen would actually go for some kind of measure to thin out the herd.
    I'm assuming letters to the Commission would be the appropriate starting point?

9. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Sleestak,you don't catch alot fish huh:) figures...goodluck in your fight,you'll need it.

10. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

They are already incentivized by there being good fishing. Poor fishing = empty rooms in Forks, guides sitting at home, no one in the cafes.... The vampire thing isn't going to last forever, the runs of fish could. I guarantee that the sport fishery realizes more real dollars into the hands of more people than anything else in Forks.

11. Albula

Albula Member

The mere fact that this element exists proves that the path to any real progress is going to be a long and frustrating one.

12. sleestak240

Home Page:
    Right on pal. Keep on posturing...you're clearly driving your point home with your well articulated statements.

13. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

I own quite a few boats - a 17' sled, raft, watermaster, kayak, etc etc. I love 'em all and enjoy taking them fishing.

And I agree with and would support the "no fishing from a boat" ban on the Hoh. Just like I would for other overpressured rivers with wild fish, especially smaller waters like the Klickitat.

Boats have their place, but on rivers like this they should only be used for transportation.

Yeah, I probably don't catch a lot of fish. And I"m guessing there's no spirit name for morons either.

Cheers,

Brian

14. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Benjy, personally I agree with you. But generally when you are trying to negotiate with someone its by offering them something they don't all ready have. We all ready have good fishing (for the moment). I was thinking if you wanted to get peoples attention to offer support for other fisheries projects that are in the works and highly valued in the area. Some thoughts, help support a limited entry guide license system, help support the relocation of the brood stock program to the Bogie, the new fall king program...and on and on. These would just be steps to gaining trust locally. I think an awesome first step might be to adopt a boat ramp, go in with a group and pay a local company to repair a DNR boat slide twice a year.(Right now a lot of this repair work is done by volunteers, like myself, with picks and shovels) It would help demonstrate you want to help and have some interest in meeting people and staying in for the long haul.

15. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

A regulation prohibiting fishing from a boat in the sections of Olympic Peninsula rivers where selective gears rules are in effect sounds reasonable to me Anyhow, that is my 2 cents on the matter.