Hohdown, March 19

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jeff bandy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Launching is easy. Pulling out is the pain. ;)

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Let's call it trip planning. Floating down to the Oxbow just can't be the last float of your trip. The Anderson bar is just down the river a touch. I think that the launch or take out fee is still only $5. I've seen crazy fishy fools here launch in rougher situations, and photos of some that were even more calculated craziness. Hand launching/loading with many hands would be light work.

3. theonethatgotaway

theonethatgotaway Member

Mumbles, I always called that place Allen's bar? Anyway, I was there yesterday and you can still launch/retrieve off the sandbar there.

The oxbow launch didn't look too good when I drove by yesterday. It doesn't look that bad from the top, but from the bottom not so good. There were some cut logs and drag marks indicating that somebody had pulled a driftboat out over a makeshift bridge. They probably didn't look very closely at the launch before deciding to take out there because that wouldn't be fun.

[​IMG]
    Hoh River Oxbow Launch

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Look at it this way. If the launch is unusable, we won't have all the guides dropping there at o-dark in the morning. Also no drunk kids driving in at 60mph in the dark to pull out. Just ask PT about that.

5. Ed Call

Allen's bar, you are right, my apologies.

6. Nick Cameron

Nick Cameron New Member

fished the hoh yesterday and got my ass kicked, maybe i'll have more luck with a big group of random, intoxicated people. count me in. I plan on showing up thursday evening with good whiskey, a bunch of bear meat, and an 8wt rod. Would love to have a seat in a boat in that's possible.

7. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Nick, I've always got my ass kicked by that river. The Hoh Down is the consolation prize. Once you've had Jerry's eats, and chugged down some beer things are OK in the world again.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Ah good. The flood washed out the wall. There was actually a drop off and a small dirt wall. In the pic that wall looks washed away. Which would make it a tad easier to do a take out. I'm all for launching in weird places. Its the takeout that I prefer to just load and go.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    My raft will do just fine there

10. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Ive never floated the Hoh, can I do it in my scadden 9 foot toon?

11. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

No problem. Guys do it in watermasters. If you haven't floated it before, you should go with someone who has. Follow them down. Mumbles did this in his small toon and it worked out fine.

12. Ed Call

Yup, followed Jeff Bandy, a very skilled oarsman, and learned a lot about myself, my craft, reading lines, good prep work. There were a couple of guys there in 8' boats. I had a 9' boat and at least two other guys in 9' boats were there. A 9' boat should be a great craft for that river. Water Masters, Scadden river boats, similar craft all would excel on the Hoh. Easy to pick a good line, maneuverable in tight spots and when in doubt, a small boat is easy to line through anywhere you are not ready to row.

13. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Sweet. I have put a lot of hours into rowing the toon on rivers, but I have only really floated easy rivers like the NF Stilly and the Kettle and parts of the Nooksack

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    The Hoh is an easy float with the exception of the Oxbow. Other than that, it's just a matter of taking the right braid at each split.

15. PT

PT Physhicist

About 300 yards below the Park Line put in you'll run into this. It's a complete blockage of the river. You can portage but you might want to have more than 2 of you if you're in a DB or raft.