Hohdown, March 19

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jeff bandy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Daryle, sorry to hear about your fall from glory. Hope the walker isn't permanent. Maybe next year.
    Jeff

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    This is a heads up for all of you. I've been going back and forth on this. I've done a yearly trip on the Hoh at this time (usually the last week of March/first week of April) every year with my Dad since 1979. With his illness I opted to move it back to fit whatever week the Hoh Down was. I'm not a trout fisherman unless I'm with my PHWFF soldiers. I do the Cow on day or weekend trips. I can't burn up my last 2 floaters to fish the Cow or Yak. I truly enjoy cooking but I hope you all realize I don't come to these just to cook. I've always been a camp cook since I was 10 and its easy for me. So if the Hoh blows out and is still blown out as of Tuesday I will immediately start refunding payments via paypal. There's nothing that'll change my mind on this. I have a special love for fishing the Hoh this time of year. I will probably head over on my vacation at end of March with my son if river is back in shape.

On a lighter note if by a miracle the river starts dropping and looks like it'll be around 2500 cfs Thursday I will proceed as planned. Getting gear ready this weekend and staged to load Wednesday night and do buy up of foods Thursday morning. Will delay my arrival Thursday but what I'm cooking won't take long anyways. I'm still a go for the Hoh if she's fishable. But my trip was the Hoh Down and I'm not settling. Just won't be the same for me.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:

No worries Jerry. I'm right there with you. I have enough funds to make ONE MORE trip for the winter steelhead season. I can't spend that money going anywhere but some place I really want to be, with good conditions. If things don't work out, anyone who paid me money for the beers should contact me and we'll work something out. Since the beers have been made and have been paid for, I don't have extra money to send back to people. But I can borrow a counter-pressure bottle filler from my buddy and bottle up some brews for the donaters.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    We did a trade Evan but I'd love to pay you for some brew to help offset your costs IF the Hoh blows out.

5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

"if by a miracle the river starts dropping and looks like it'll be around 2500 cfs Thursday I will proceed as planned."

How about 3500 cfs and on the drop? 2700 is the March average since 61.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Jeff that's the average. They've had some HUGE floods in March. Throws average off. We're talking flyfishing and 3500 is some heavy water. 2500 is where its coming into shape. Id be game at 3000 and dropping. 3500 is pushing it.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Still dropping a bit. Still watching the weather. Still making sacrifices to the fishing and weather gods. If any of you are missing small animals, I'm sorry. I really need this river to drop into shape. One must do what one must do.

8. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I will be praying to the weather gods all day tomorrow. I think that will be the make or break day. But then again Monday also doesn't look good. I really hope they are off on this one. I wonder where the neighborhood chickens are? Time for some old fashioned shit.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Jeff and I spoke today. I'm making preparations to jinx myself. Let's pray it pays off. I also sacrificed a beloved Fenwick to the River Gods. Let's pray they accept my offering!

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    If jinx works I may not be able to make Bacon Bomb. Long story why. But I'm sacrificing A LOT on my nerves to get this river down. Ed I'm in same boat. I really need this river in too.

BTW my weather reports are changing for the better. :)

11. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

It is easy for them to just always predict rain in forks.

12. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Jerry, I fully understand why the Hoh is so special to you. I have not nearly earned the deep seated reasons, it is special to me because it is just flat out fantastic place to spend time with friends on the water. If not now, I'll get out there when I can. I've had the luck of being out there a few days already. I'm still saying my prayers and doing some other things that can't really be typed for public consumption...but if they work for the river then they are well worth it.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Well, if people want to bag it this year for the Yak, I'm all for it. I still have my week coming up to put a few days in (who needs to do chores around the farm anyways?).

Now, if people want to cash out now, let me know now. You can do it via PM. Then I'll go to paypal and send you cash back (or if you did a check, will just burn it). I've spent no money yet, so I'm out nothing.

15. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

A good part of what I've been looking forward to is your fabulous cooking, Jerry. Ever since that first bite of rib eye two years ago I've wanted more. I just can't stand the thought of it being three years in between your rib eye perfection!! I had a good excuse last year (my first child was born March 25th), but this year all those months of salivating might be for not. Couple that with all the amazing beer that will (I hope) be there, I would go to whatever river you feel so called to. If that will only be the Hoh, then so be it. If it is not to be this year, then I will just have to wait.
    I still might go and play come hell and high water since I took time off work and have the hall pass, but as with most things, we'll just wait and see....