Trip Report Home

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Ali Baba, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ali Baba

Ali Baba Active Member

Fall is my favorite time of year and a very special time of year at home. Being in an agricultural community the sights and smells of harvest start picking up between the hum of trucks full of apples and the smell of hops blanketing the valley. Working in ag it also means that I start getting slightly busy with harvest related stuff, but as if to accommodate my schedule and to keep me sane new easy access fishing opportunities also pop up, which makes it possible for an hour of free time to yield enough results to keep it interesting. I had many such days over the last month, but one really stands out for the quality of the fishing and the company. Growing up in the area there are spots i have been fishing to close to twenty years with people that are some of my closest friends to this day. Seeing how the spots have improved over that time frame is also very encouraging to see. On one such night in the past few weeks I go to return to one of these holes with my friend who taught me to fly fish many years ago and even though many things have changed in our lives it was like we were 13 all over again and for whatever reason the fishing gods smiled upon us this night. The night started out as any other with a quick something to take the edge off at the truck and rigging our rods, with a bit of debate regarding what would be successful. My buddy ties on his go to crawdad steamer while I opt for the more t raditional double nymph rig. We make our way across the river being careful to to have the water sneak over the top of our waders as we cross in the one possible spot. We saunter up stream a bit and spread out about 50 feet apart as per usual. About the third cast I hook up and land the fish in the picture below and over the next 45 minutes we each proceed to catch three more all larger than the one in the picture. One of the better 45 minutes I have had in a 100 yard stretch of river and more than enough for me to keep coming back.

As we get further out from that great day I have not had the opportunity to get back out there with my friend, but I know it will happen again even if it is later than would be ideal. So to all my fellow fly fisher folks out there I hope you have an opportunity in the near future to have as good of a time by your own definition as I did that night and that you share with us on this site a bit more instead of the constant liberal v conservative and other bullshit battles that dominate the forum.

Cheers,

Sam

IMG_20170927_180401154 (007).jpg

2. Big Rob

Big Rob Active Member

Outstanding!

3. caljah

caljah Member

Great write up. Thank you

4. HungryNookie

HungryNookie Active Member

This is why I live in 509.