Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

homemade WRAPPER--pics !!!

Rod Building 
3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Boondock 
#1 ·
I just completed my home-made rod wrapper. I used pretty much all scrap material from other projects. The only things I had to buy was the thread tensioning stuff (which I found at McLendon Lumber/Hardware store) I know I sorta went overboard with the number of thread holders, but hey, it looks cool

I bought a Rainshadow RFX8+ blank at the Flyfishing Show, I'll start building it, when the components arrive.

See less See more
#5 ·
Boondock very cool. I remember a long time back looking for those tensioners..McLendon..geez, I never even thought to look there.

You may want to consider adding a third, free standing, post to your wrapper. It may help with wrapping the ferrule areas of your blanks.

#7 ·
In this picture, the post on the left is what I meant by freestanding. It's not attached to your main base unit and can be used on either side, at any distance from the base. It just helps balance a longer blank section.

Also, when you are wrapping very near the end of a blank section you may not always be able to use your two primary posts conveniently, so you use this freestanding one and just 'one' of your base posts, with both post positioned off to the same side releative to your thread line.

#9 ·
that should do ya. i don't see how the wrapper dloop posted can work. not enought thread ;)

i actually wrap better on my lap, but you can't get up when the phone rings and have to time the toilet breaks. my only tool for years was a dictionary and a shot glass for the thread. now i have a cabelas model that has two supports that clamp whereever you need them and a clamp on thread holder/tensioner. very flexible but yours looks better. did you get a drying motor yet?

#10 ·
Tony, I quickly grabbed a picture off of Cabelas to simply show what was meant by a third post, not as an example of a good thread system.

Boondock, what you built is awesome. Be sure to tell us how it works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.