Homestretch tying II - Leeches

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

The mini leaches worked and so did the chiro's like when the guide switched Ira's mini leach to a chiro to prove it!

My style would be a double eyed "level" mini leach that mimics the damsel nymph before it crawled out of this shuck from Crane!
    WFF trip Crane prairie 012.jpg

The 3 days before the guide day at times my boat and ropes were covered with damsel nymphs. The fishery used to be famous for it's damsel hatches and migrations before the sticklebacks invasion although I never fished it back then. The year before on Crane they still had ice over half the lake at the opener so this may of had an impact on the stickleback population and who knows they might rebound this coming year and wipe out the damsels again but there was a very noticeable change in the whole system (thank God) Hopefully it stays that way.

I also have something against using leaches or buggers (although I speed troll large bead chain buggers) It is my last resort of fly choice because it just seams to easy or basic although I know they will work when fish are found that is why I came up with my Bloody Mary, it's mine, and it works! I prefer to fool myself into thinking I matched the hatch! One of the main reasons I even fly fish. If I see leaches swarming the water and crawling up my ropes you be knowing I will have leaches that I tied years ago with simi seal and Canadian mohair's in sparse leach style. Like I always say "heck even Denny Rickards can catch a fish on a leach" I would much rather fish a nymph and think I matched the cali hatch or traveling caddis hatch.

I know this isn't popular thinking, and I know how well mini leaches work under indi's but I like to invent my own crap and fool myself into thinking I did something all by myself! This of coarse is a flaw in my "thinking" when it comes to fly fishing, even in the 80's when everyone was tying on the teeny nymph for steelhead and trout I never tied one on my tippet, yet I still caught a ton of fish!

Don't get me wrong Trout, I love those leaches and know you are one hell of a fisherman! and you make a great point of "you can't always fish chiro's" I'm just hard headed!!!

troutpocket, Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.
  2. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I also recall the guide asking me if he could have a couple of patterns at the end of the day. Mids did work that is true, but when he switched me over it actually gave you guys a chance to catch up to me.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  3. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

troutpocket and Mark Kraniger like this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...=51177&title=balance-damsel-by-iraf&cat=18820

The picture doesn't do it justice, but this is the balance damsel I tied for the damsel swap. I caught fish on it at Grimes.

mat1226 and Mark Kraniger like this.
  5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Yep, something of that nature with red double eyes. It will still be a leach though and on your balance style so don't think I don't know it's original origin ;-) Heck now I will have to tie one tomorrow!

How could someone not use one after seeing all those damsels!

6. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Mark stop talking about Crane!!!! You are killing me. I will be back for a better part of a week again this summer and all your talk is getting me fired up! Stop please! I can't take it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. jwg

jwg Active Member

you can get bead chains in various colors including red at Allen Flyfishing:

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/beadchain-eyes/

Jay

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

The place is addictive isn't it! It would be great to know when your over to meet-up and chat at the camp ground. It would also be nice to have someone with another power boat to bounce info off for a week with two parties fishing. The problem is you guy's were fishing my "favorite corner" HA.... must know your stuff at that huge lake!!!

Sorry for the hi-jack trout! And yes I will have to fish some mini leaches their this coming spring. I think the fish might be getting used to all the chiro's being thrown at them. One thing I noticed and so did the guide is that there wasn't as many chironomid hatches last year! could be the damsels eating them. Pieces of the puzzle???

Mike Ediger likes this.
  9. generic

generic Justified

Uh... that was too easy. :D (Geez, and to think I sent him to some "girly" web sight.)

10. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

We don't have dates set yet, but I will let you know.

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You probably want to avoid the same date as a B.A.S.S. tournament held at the lake.

12. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

They haven't had the Tourny there in A few years Gene. You can find that info on the Oregon bass club website. The only reason I go to that site is to stay the f#$% away from them and see what other fishery they want to destroy next!

13. jwg

jwg Active Member

Mark have you finalized the design of the Bloody Mary?

Were you the one putting ice dub white tails on your micro leeches?

jay

14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Thanks, Mark. As you know, it really, really pisses me off that the ODF&W allowed B.A.S.S. tournaments at a trophy trout lake that was seriously damaged by the illegal planting of bass. Talk about sending the wrong message to the criminals!

triploidjunkie likes this.
  15. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

This might sound a little crazy, but has anyone tried using a riffle hitch type knot to get a regular style fly to hang horizontal?