Hooked on Dollys

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Simplebugger, Nov 11, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

There's a popular section of the Metolius called the Dolly Hole. We were all crushed when we found out that there are no dollies in the Metolius and they're actually bull trout. We refused to change the name to "the bull trout hole"... too wordy ... so it's still called the Dolly Hole even if there isn't any.

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

Puget Sound's anadromous bull trout are primarily piscivores and, while they are sufficiently opportunistic to eat eggs washed out of salmon redds as well as the flesh of rotting salmon carcasses, they will be perfectly willing to take a crack at anything looking like a baitfish fluttered over their heads. Sea-run cutthroat will also gobble down a floating egg but are quite susceptible to more sporting presentations, including dry flies.

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

While I know with certainty that the char I'm catching on my "home waters" are bull trout with the fly rod in hand I still often refer to them as "Dollies"; hard to break decade long habits.

Regardless of what we may call them they are a wonderful fish for the fly angler that can at the same time provide some great and challenging "trout" fishing. Our rivers would be a lot emptier without them.

Curt

Chris DeLeone and Chris Johnson like this.
  4. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

I used to "scoff" at Dollies while out steelhead fishing on the Skagit system. Now I go out and intentionally fish for them. Maybe I'm progressing through the "5 stages of fishing". Or maybe that says something about how good the steelhead fishing is.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Funny that you talk of beading when trolling is obviously your method of choice.

Irafly, Steve Unwin and Patrick Allen like this.
  6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I've seen Bull Trout tossed up on the bank on both the Sauk and the Skagit. What a complete waste.
    Some idiot can't seem to figure out that they've existed along with salmon and steelhead for a lot longer then we've been here.

I find them to be a really unique fish and always enjoy encountering them. Even though there may be a healthy population, I personally wish they were all catch and release where they are open for harvest.

Great looking fish by the way.
    SF

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

WHAT!? In Oregon all bull trout are protected and must be released unharmed. I thought that applied to all western states.

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I'll try egg patterns and even indicators when fising around spawning salmon. It can be too easy to foul hook the spawners otherwise. Dead drifting flesh flies, or a flesh fly with glo-bug dropper is a good option. But my favorite is getting them to go rip a bait fish pattern off the surface. You can wake it above the spawners and not mess with them, and those 'surface' takes can be fun.

9. Ryan Higgins

Ryan Higgins Active Member

There are a few select waters here in WA where retention of Bull Trout is legal including the Skykomish and a tributary of the Methow.

10. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Those are some nice bulls man. 30" is a great fish anywhere.

I've always viewed bull trout as being just as cool as a steelhead and I never understood some people (especially the gear guys) negative view of them. They are just as wild and far more predatory then a steelhead and grow to some impressive sizes. I've seen 35-40" Bulls chase down and engulf 15+ Cutthroat attached to a fishermans line in Blackfoot country.

FinLuver and mtskibum16 like this.
  11. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

Bull Trout can't jump....

But I agree with you 100%. Bull Trout are one of the coolest most iconic fish of our region. 100% native's as far as I know.
    I don't think there should be ANY retention allowed on them (nor on Coastal Cutthroat either, for that matter).

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Can't jump? I have evidence to suggest otherwise. Especially on the Pitt River in BC. Had plenty do some out of water maneuvers on me there.

13. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

I can't for the life of me think of one that has jumped out of the water while fighting it. I've caught Dollies skating flies on the Stilly before so I know they can willingly swim to the surface. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Whitefish jump either. Hmmmmm

14. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Ten years ago before I moved east of the Cascades, catching bulls and searun cutthroat feeding around spawning chum was one of my favorite ways to spend a fishing day. Good to hear it can still produce! That's a quality fish!

15. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

Evan,
    My post was in reference to the prior post by Troutdopemagic which I quoted comparing them to steelhead...
    In the "relative" is where I was going ...