HOOKS THAT STRAIGHTEN OUT, WHAT TO DO NOW

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by james.jimenez, Jul 17, 2014.

1. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

So I ordered a ton of hooks from one particular distributor/manufacture. While I was fishing the Cedar River I found that the hooks would begin to straighten when fighting small/average size fish. I am very disappointed in my purchase but I have sooooo many of these hooks it's crazy.

My quastion to you all is do, I continue to tie on these hooks and use them for practice? To chop them up as a loss and purchase more hooks. My Next shopping cart is packed with new fly tying tools, hooks, and materials. Now I am just waiting for the wife to give the go ahead with my next purchase. This time I am looking at buying Tiemco and Umpqua. Not because I would know the differences between hooks but because I hear other tiers using them when they tie.

2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Yep what he said, depending on hook size you can use them for shanks on flies with "stinger' hooks and articulated flies.

3. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Simple, just fish for even smaller fish!;)

Seriously, I had bought some store branded hooks for steelhead flies and had them straighten.
    Looking at the package closer I saw that they were non forged whereas the comparable Tiemco was.
    Long story short the Tiemco didn't straighten.

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Tiemco makes some nice hooks. They also make a wide range of hook gauge, from very light wire to very heavy. Light wire hooks from any manufacturer will make it easier to keep your dry flies floating but the tradeoff is they bend out fairly easily. I went through the same learning curve with tying chironomids. I liked the way my bugs looks tied on (Tiemco) light wire hooks but they were bending out on fish bigger than about 15". Now I tie chironomids on 1-X heavy nymph hooks. It's heartbreaking (and very preventable) to lose fish to bent hooks and broken tippet!

5. james.jimenez

Here is a video of one of the fish that began straightening out one of the hooks. It measured aprox. 14 inches on the net ruler. With the size of river I was fishing it was a pretty good size fish, but on the small side compared to a place like the Yak. I do not believe I would have gotten the fish was any larger or had to play it with lighter tippet. I have contacted the manufacture and they acknowledge that there was an issue with their earlier hooks. They have offered to send me some of their "new and improved hooks" but I have so many of their "old not good hooks" that it will be a while, if ever, I give them business when it comes to purchasing hooks.

6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

The only hooks I've had problems with are Tiemco(not light wire). After getting two batches of them that bent out, and one batch where the eyes all fell off while tying them to my tippet, I will NEVER buy that over priced junk again. The ones I buy now you get twice as many hooks for the price, and have never gotten a bad batch.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Use the hooks for tying display patterns.:)

8. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

James, what brand of hook are they? Not to ruffle feathers, I'm just curious

9. james.jimenez

Really not sure how to address this because I really don't want to put this info out there. I am just looking for suggestions on what to do with my be a TON of bad hooks. Who knows maybe they will make good on their part and help me out on some replacements. Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. I me pan no disrespect with the way I have chosen to answer this.

Olive bugger likes this.
  10. james.jimenez

Hook manufactures/distributers name may or may NOT rhyme with names like; "Babela's", "Teamco", or "Upinqua" or "Mal-Wart"!!

JK

These names may or may not be them OR I just couldn't think of many funny names that rhymed with the major hook manufactures/distributers.. I blame it on being tired and awake at 1am here in Korea..

11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Are you sure its not from a bad cast or two. I've also seen the opposite bend from a bad whip cast, where it bent the hook gap closed.
    With light wire hooks it just happens, almostno matter the brand it seems.

12. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

James,

My take is that you are stronger than you look!!!!:D

GAT likes this.
  13. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

if it was EVERY single hook on EVERY single fly that was straightening out, then that would be a major concern but if its just a few then that really wouldn't bother me that much.

every hook brand that makes light wire hooks are going to have a few straighten out at one time or another. nothing is perfect

so out of the ton of hooks you ordered, how many actually straightened out?

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I would tie flys on them to give to give to people I don't like.

15. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

I agree that most light wire hooks will straighten under the right conditions. If it happens more than once get rid of the hooks.
    When I first started tying a experienced mentor told me to buy premium quality Japanese hooks. I strayed a few times and regretted it.
    With all the time, effort, and expense we expend fly fishing why save a few cents with hooks that you are not 100% confident in. As a WAG 90% of my hooks are Daiichi with the final 10% mostly TMC. There may be a few specialty hooks in there but thats about it. These companies take pride in making very good hooks and stand behind their products. I buy hooks in bulk and have 6 to 8 thousand hooks today in my fly tying bench. There are zero bad hooks in this inventory and can't recall the last time I found a hook with a flaw. Once in a great while I will break a tip when I smash the barb but this is like 1 in 500 or 1000 hooks. There are other fine hooks on the market but I have 100% confidence in trout sized hooks from these companies. _DSC0989.JPG