Hosmer Lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Richard Olmstead, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

I don't know if stocking records are readily available from the state in OR as they are in WA, but it seems like they must have put a butt-load of rainbows in the lake early this year or late last year. It seemed like almost every fish I caught was a 10-11 inch cookie-cutter rainbow, with a few cutts and one Atlantic thrown in the mix. At last light the water was alive with rises all over the lake.

The Atlantic took a small caddis on the surface and made one amazing aerial, before submitting rather meekly to be stripped into the net. Once in the net he became a wiggler, however. Fortunately, he threw the fly and held still long enough for a quick pic while in the net.

D

aplTyler likes this.
  2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I checked. Yes, they have recently stocked the lake with rainbow and cutts... here's the kicker.... evidently the wise ODF&W are turning the lake into a catch and kill fishery because the only fish you must release are the Atlantics.

Obviously, as the Atlantics die off, the only remaining fish will be those you can take. So much for the famous Hosmer Lake. Evidently it is destined to become nothing more than a flyfishing only put and take lake.

Sad. Very sad.

dryflylarry likes this.
  3. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

Gene,

Retention of Brook trout has been allowed on Hosmer for awhile... I doubt the only goal of ODFW's was to make it a catch/take lake. That said, most fly guys that I know release nearly all of their trout so I doubt it'll affect the lake too terribly much. Heck, fish are more likely to die due to the stress of being caught 15 times a season or due to a bad foul hooking.

I think the original point you made about the Atlantic's being a kind of pain (or pet/non essential project) for the department is probably more responsible than anything else for the other species being stocked. Tight budgets don't exactly help the case to keep them being stocked in two lakes only either, especially if one of the lakes is better known for it's kayaking than anything else these days.

Either way, I'd get there and fish it this fall. Most of the Cutthroat and Rainbow were cookie cutter (bows were all 10-11", Cutts were either 10" or 14" with few in between) but with a few seasons, I think it'll make a fantastic fishery with more diversity in one lake.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Hey Richard,

I may have missed you during the same time-frame. I was there on July 10-11th. It was my first visit. I too LEARNED about the "kayak hatch". Every stinking floating device from Bend must have been there. It was somewhat of a disappointment. The first day I was there it was 85 degrees and 75 the next. I got out of there after the 2nd day. It was interesting to find a spot that looked promising in the channels, then, suddenly have a couple kayaks just run right on past and usually thru your fishing area.... I tend to think most of them were simply unaware of what a fisherman is and does. Or, they were plain stupid or didn't care a bit. I finally started "waving" kayakers around me and directed traffic.
    It's too bad every kayak in Bend now goes there. Let this be a warning to you all! Fish mornings or evenings. When I was there my luck wasn't with me and I rose a good number of fish with a beetle or blue damsel and simply didn't hook up worth a dang. It was just one of those unlucky times. Of course, every 5 minutes a kayak would cruise on thru your area you were fishing. Too bad. I may go back, but I am thinking there are better places around there.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Larry -
    We arrived midday on the 11th and camped in the South Campground (nearest the boat launch). You weren't the solo guy with the camper in site 15(?) who offered us your site as you were getting ready to leave, were you? We were looking for 4 sites together for our field trip group.

The other thread points out that they had stocked 2500 9-10" rainbows and a bunch of similar sized cutts this spring. I think that made it difficult to hook up with the larger fish. I talked with only one guy who had caught a nicer 20" bow.

D

dryflylarry likes this.
  6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Richard, YES! That was me! Ha. Small world eh? Things slowed down the 2nd day before I left fishing wise.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Here's the deal. Those who stay at the resorts in and around Bend want to go fishing and they want to keep what they catch. So, the guides have a tendency to push for catch and kill. Knowing this, it makes me wonder if some pressure was applied to the zone biologist to start planting Hosmer with trout that can be caught and kept.

It wouldn't be the first time a ODF&W biologist was swayed by guides.

The next shoe to drop is to remove the flyfishing only regulation. Most fly anglers are not into killing trout and if those few who are want to keep a fish for dinner the brookies at Hosmer, are certainly available.

This all just seems damned odd to dump a ton of planters into a flyfishing only lake. Who are the fly anglers who wanted the lake planted with trout that are meant to be caught and killed?

Damned odd.

8. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

Excellent report! I was thinking about exploring that lake myself in the next couple of weeks, but am deterred somewhat by the reports of kayakers and small fish. It seems that things have changed a lot since Steve Raymond wrote his nice essay on Hosmer.

Rex

9. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I just caught one in East a couple of days ago around 13" and it fought worse than the Tui Chubs in there. It was a slug.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The original strain of Atlantics were much better fighters than the ones they plant these days.

Kcahill likes this.