How about a Junior Fly Swap?

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by yngfishinful, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

So far I count 5, possibly 6. Is your suggestion to tie up one pattern (6 flies) for each catagory? That would mean 36 flies.:eek Or do you mean that each person would pic one pattern from any of the catagories?

2. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

Alright, here it goes.
    I suggest, that each tie one fly of their choosing from each catagory. (Also, need feedback on possible max hook size limit.)

example:
    1 dry: Elk Caddis
    1 nymph: Prince
    1 wet: Bugger
    1 terr.: ant
    1 streamer: black nose dace
    1 saltwater: clouser

Depending on what catogories we finalize, it would be a max of 6 flies. Getting rid of the saltwater and terrestrial catagories don't hurt my feelings any. So maybe 4 flies a piece.:dunno My concern with the max hook size is if anybody other than me is tying 2/0+ marabou flesh flies for Alaska.(July 22 - 29) I mean for the streamers anyhow.

3. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

I am in, I am 15. I will do the terrestrial if you guys dont mind. Good I dead man. Thanks

4. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

Cool, I'm certainly glad I talked myself into posting the idea. How many of us is that now? 7?

:beer2

5. Jay Allyn

So each person will pic a catagory and tie a fly from that? At least that's what I'm getting from Madison Angler. It doesn't really matter to me, I wouldn't mind doing a great SRC fly for the salt (also works on silvers and chums), or I could do some salmon or steelhead flies. What do people want?

6. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

Now I don't know how many flies you guys would want to tie, but what I'm saying is this:
    Each person selects one fly of their choosing from each catagory. Lets say we agree on 4 catagories... each person would send in four flies.
    EXAMPLE: Lets say I might choose these, again saying their are four catagories, and these are it.:dunno
    1 Parachute Adams= my 1 dry fly
    1 Prince= my 1 nymph
    1 Wolly Bugger= my 1 wet fly
    1 Black Nose Dace= my 1 streamer

You guys need to start suggesting the catagories you would like and any other concerns. Please/Thank You
    :)

7. Jay Allyn

How would we split that up if the count is 7? Seven catagories? But then what would each person recieve? The way you are thinking only will work 1 on 1 unless multiple flies (7) were tied for each catagory. How about we just pic one or two themes and tie 7 of the same fly for that catagory?

8. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    im with ffjunky on this one, 7 of one catagory, that is how a normal swap works, u pic ur fly, tie one or two for everyone, simple as that. Im in for streamers then, but i think we should just get to choose the fly, no matter what catagory, for example, i use many flies that don't have any catagory, rather how u fishes them determines what they imitate. A bugger fished dd or in small strips coud look like a dragon fly nymph, while one fished fast may look like a minnow. If u do it at a medium pace (if u have heard the song by adam sandler u will find that funny) it could look like a leech (longshot, but maybe) hellgrimate,tadpole,ect... Anyways, i say, tyer pics pattern, tie 2 for everyone casue i dont think there is gonna be alot of ppl, thats it, no catogories, cause what if someone has a killer nymph, and so does another swap participant, it isnt fair to both of them. I think we should leave it simple as that.

9. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

I understand what your saying about tying one for everyone, but I still am a little slow:beathead, so can you do so some kind of list for me? Thanks

10. Jay Allyn

Each person would tie 14 flies. Either 14 or the same fly, or 7 of 2 different flies. If we decide on a catagory (nymphs, dries, streamer, steelhead, etc) then they would have to be of that catagore.

Since the theme of this swap would be only us youngin's I think we should be able to tie what ever fly (or 2) we want, that way we can show off our tying skills.

11. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

10-4, sounds good. My vote for the two catagories are dry fly and nymph. We also still need to find a moderator and a final count on how many entries we have. Thanks junky for helping take charge.:smokin

12. Jay Allyn

I can be the mod, I've done it before. I count seven so far? I think we should close it at seven, that way we stay at 14 flies.

My catagory votes: nymph and salmon/steelhead

So far: Nymph 2, dry fly 1, salmon/steelhead 1

13. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

No objections on you being the mod. Lets say we close it at noon tomorrow.?. Nymph and salmon/steelhead is fine with me. I am going home for the night (I check this at work every hour or so.) I'll check in, in the morning. Its quittin' time.:beer2 :beer1 :rofl :smokin

14. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

No objections on you being the mod. Lets say we close it at noon tomorrow.?. Nymph and salmon/steelhead is fine with me. I am going home for the night (I check this at work every hour or so.) I'll check in, in the morning. Its quittin' time.:beer2 :beer1 :rofl :smokin

15. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Hey, If you guys send me some flies. I'll buy you beer
    :beer2

ya little shits. :thumb