How did you learn . . .

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Salmo_g, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

George Cook and his posse'...epecially the little guy they named the "wombat" after.

:cool:

2. pescador do mosca

pescador do mosca "An under forty victim of fate..arriving too late"

Bought Rio's first video and my first rod and attempted to teach myself, didn't work to well. The rods sat for a bit and then attended a class by Simon G. and my whole game turned on. I am hooked and will never look back. I got the bug, I'm infected, I have been lost to the darkside!!!

To second the other posters, practice time cannot be understated!!! You must practice the right way though and if you are getting frustrated, take a break, then hit it again.

Remember, it's supposed to be fun, you are not supposed to get tired, you are supposed to laugh when you blow a cast, casting in itself is fun besides catching fish, the list could go on...

:thumb:

3. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Home Page:
    Mike Kinney.

I've been heading down to Aaron's for the last few years where i have been lucky to cast with Mike. Even better....Mike now works at AATF. :D Between Mike, Aaron and others, I have learned an amazing amount about spey casting and fishing. I've also been fortunate to have a number of people share their knowledge regarding lines, grain weights, etc... (thanks Bert!)

Getting some basic instruction (before bad habits form) is helpful. And - practice, practice, practice.

People in the Northwest are extremely fortunate to have great opportunities to learn to Spey cast. In this area there are so many spey events, great instructors, and weekly 'days on the river' - both in Carnation and Monroe.

4. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

George Cook gave me a course first. I borrowed a buddy's Bruce and Walker and tried to incorporate Mike Maxwell's stuff without being smart enough to go learn from Mike Maxwell. That's probably a good thing for both of us. ;) I could have won some jousting contests in Old England with that giant piece of hickory. Plus I had no idea what I was doing. Should have listened to George a little closer huh? So that was the end for awile. I refused to drop my one handers and 7 thousand spools of lines, head and tips. When I picked one up again I had forgotten everything. (I still do that from time to time now for 20 minutes or so.:D ) I mean everything. Scott O'Donnel gave me the basic course again. This time I actually pulled my head out of my butt and kept practicing and fishing the spey. Those were Sage brown 9140 days. That was "the" rod when it came out. Then I got into Scott Arcs when they came out and windcutters. Then I got into heads, slick shooter type running lines and Mesiers MKS rods and haven't looked back since in winter. I'll stick with that setup for a few years at the very least. I don't have the money or time to stay "cutting edge" these days. I'm sure something "better" will come out tomorrow morning, but I'm passing for some years. I like the rods, style and system I've got now and will stick with it. It works well for me in winter and spring. In the summer I still prefer the smaller hike in rivers where trout and char and incidental catch stuff keeps it interesting with lighter one handers, but I'll spey a full floater or lighter tip on the Sky and the Cowlitz and all the other hatchery highways for summer runs. I caught fish before the spey, but not nowhere as many with one. That's a fact in my fishing world. Now because of coaching, I'll hit anywhere the fish are supposed to be from California to BC if the window opens. Depends on time, money, if I'm in the state, you know the factors. I even bought a C&D Tracker 5/6 for trout spey-rodding last year. I'm done, I surrendered to the spey gods with the head down and the white flag up years ago. Coach

5. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

The Wombat is a bad ass Cast! I do it all the time after watching the Rio Video.

6. Skilly

Skilly Member

Struggled on my own when I lived in Prinevill, when I moved to Winlock and the Cow one of the local guys ( Spey God) Gene Gene the casting machine felt sorry for me and took me under his wing. Now I can fling this thing.:thumb:

Skilly

7. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Dec Hogan. I took a guided trip with him on the Skagit several years ago with the express purpose of learning to spey cast. He was a very good teacher. I since have followed up with guided trips with Ed Ward and Brian Silvey. Evereytime I fish with one of these guys my casting gets better. Other than that it's just time on the water.

GBeeman

8. Ed D

Ed D Member

Took a class through Puget Sound Fly Co. Great investment! I'd hate to go through that learning curve w/out some more formal help
    -Ed

9. PT

PT Physhicist

Self taught. Too proud to admit that I don't know it all and get a lesson.;)

I did fish with JD Love and he helped out a bit. But, I think he realized my bad habits were etched in stone so he kept saying nice cast.

First rod was a Loomis I bought quite a few years ago from Mike at Ted's. After wasting money on "a few lines" I finally got it lined properly. Again, too proud to ask someone that could have dialed me in the first time. Lots of trial and error on rods and lines. Lucky enough to spend 100+ days a year on the water flailing away. I'd consider myself a better fisherman than I am caster and that's ok with me. A couple different casts is all I need to get my fly where I want it to be.

Having said all that, I think it's time for a couple lessons. My joints aren't getting any younger and the easier I can make things the better off I'll be.:thumb:

10. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Steve Buckner

Jim Rusher

James Mello ( :p )

Simon Gawsworths Modern Spey Casting DVD

Steve took me aside last year on the O.P. and spent time showing me the ropes on his rod. I fell in love with the two hander that moment. I don't know if it was Steves cute butt in his Simms waders or the 14 foot rod. :p :p :p

11. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Whoa guy! :eek:

12. Gary Thayer

Gary Thayer Member

Took semi-private lessons from Aaron, he is dedicated to producing competent Spey casters, plus offers a variety of rods to train upon. I feel I benefited from these lessons in a relatively short time to a point of competence where I could feel comfortable on both banks of the river using the Skagit system.

GT

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I guess I really am the 'old greying guy' around here. Back in the mid-1950's from "Mr. Coles" on a green heart rod. If you've never used one, trust me, they're just as heavy as you think (but at 10 or 12 anything would be 'heavy':hmmm: ). Silk line and all.

Second introduction was Sage's intro of the 9wt "Brownie" back about 1984-1985. Purchased the rod direct from Sage as no one carried (or would order for that matter) in California. Gather it was #4 in the open production run. From that point on it was 'self taught' with a good dose of real instruction from Steve Choate and Way Yin at the Charity Spey Casting Clinics.

14. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Yep your the oldest for sureiagree :p

Started in 2001 with spey rods, but was doing some basic spey casts with single hander in the 90s. Took one lesson in 2002 at a spey clave since then all books, video, internet sites, and self teaching.

:beer1:

BG

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Thanks Hal, I appreciate your support; that said, 'dirt is older,' but not by much.