Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

How do you protect cameras & such while fishing?

2K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  gt 
#1 ·
I see all these great photos of trips & fish and I dont think they're all taken with disposable cameras. So how do you protect your cameras, etc when on the rivers? I've seen dry bags at fly shops and wonder if those are a good option or should I get a pelican case. I'd like something light to take my Nikon digital in a boat or along while wading.

#3 ·
My point and shoot nikon digital goes into a pelican case or otter box, one or the other, can't remember the name. got it at rei, they come in various sizes, big to small. works like a champ. the dry bag is an option, but i would not use it for my camera. no protection against dropping, getting stepped on, etc.
my .02

#4 ·
Depends on what camera you have and what your intended uses are. I have a digital SLR...the dedicated underwater housings for it cost more than the body (in the neighborhood of $2000), which vastly exceeds what I'm willing to pay or carry (weightwise). I do use a pelican case (1300 case), which fits the camera with lens mounted, plus a few cards, lenscloth, batteries, lens hood inside. That costs about $70 but it's literally bombproof.

For a smaller point and shoot, dedicated housings are available for some and range from $50-$200 but will allow you 99% worry-free use of the camera above and underwater (think snorkeling, diving, sticking the camera underwater to get exciting underwater release shots with your dangling legs and fins under a float tube!). Most Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc. bodies are covered. The cases allow most, if not all functions to work.

Of course, if you're just looking for storage while not in use Pelican makes a great little drybox for P&S cameras that run under $20. Micro case series, I believe.

Have fun.

#5 ·
I have a Nikon D-50 SLR so it looks like I'll be getting a Pelican case. Thanks for the advice I really do appreciate it! Wow, and I thought shooting got expensive with all its required accessories. If only I could be happy playing checkers I'd be a rich man...

#8 ·
If you don't need the hard-core protection of the pelican case, check out this bag from Sundog. It is a mix of a dry bag and a fitted/padded SLR case. I may pick one up myself. I did a quick search to find where to buy one, but didn't have any immediate luck. Sundog is located in Issaquah, and they have contact info on their web site, so they may sell direct.

http://www.sundog.com/product/rrtelezoomcase.shtml

#9 ·
Mike,

When I attended a Nikon photography class many years ago, I was impressed with their many examples of fantastic shots. They stressed that the way to get good photos, among other details of course, is to have an "ever ready camera philosophy." The ever ready camera doesn't have a case. Cased cameras don't take pictures.

So it comes down to how much insurance you feel you need for your camera. How often do you fall in the river, capsize your boat, drop things - like cameras - overboard, etc. I realized that I left my camera cased and in dry bags so much that I would forget to get it out and take any pictures. For the last two years, I've carried a shirt pocket size digital. It's on a strap around my neck and lives in my shirt pocket while fishing. It could take a swim, but only if I do, and I don't fall in that often.

Since your camera is an SLR, it's larger and bulkier, but the handier you keep it, the more photos you're going to take. Assess your level of risk and your risk tolerance, and keep that camera as handy as you're comfortable with.

As a side note, I used to use nice camera cases for storage and water tightness, but after doing the "risk assessment", I now just keep them in zip lock plastic bags when not actually using them. Plenty effective unless they're going to remain immersed for a serious amount of time. And cheap to replace every once in a while.

Good luck and good shooting.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#10 ·
After ruining a few good cameras, I finally decided to get a Pentax Optio WPi, which is a waterproof (not just water resistant) camera (the current model is the WP10). This mainly solves the problem you're facing. This camera is very compact and it takes very good photos. You do have to worry about accidentally dropping it into the lake, so you should tether the camera to you somehow or attach a float the the handstrap so that the camera doesn't sink to the bottom of the lake.

Rex

#12 ·
Here is a review that I wrote about an EWA Marine "soft" UW camera housing:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/ewa/

A lot of people are sketched out by the Ewa Marine bags, but for some uses, I think they work quite well. I wouldn't carry my dSLR in an otter/pelican box, because I wouldn't want to carry something that large and hard in my backpack. The Ewa (and those like it) doesn't offer much "bonk" protection. But you could easily stick a camera in an Ewa bag and then stick the shooting match in a small soft case. I think you'd still be happier than using a big otter box.

That having been said, I have a huge pile of cameras, and I never take anything larger than a Canon G6 with me on most outdoor adventures. Usually I take the even smaller Canon SD300. Plenty of quality there for snapshots, small enough that it doesn't burden me down. And a small pelican/otter box is cheap and doesn't take up much room.

#13 ·
I have a small Canon that I keep in a Pelican case. This keeps it protected and dry unless I drop it. I also have a Canon Power Shot A-70 that I bought the underwater case for. It set me back about $150 but I can take great underwater pictures to a depth that's well beyond what I need.

Gbeeman

#14 ·
I agree with Salmo g. the camera has to be readily available and easy to use. I have a Fuji point and shoot that hangs around my neck and drops into a pocket of my vest. It is always available, I can't drop it and I can take it out, turn it on, point and shoot with one hand which leaves the other hand to handle the fish. Using an SLR is great, but then I am on a photography trip not a fishing trip.

#15 ·
Starman77 said:
After ruining a few good cameras, I finally decided to get a Pentax Optio WPi, which is a waterproof (not just water resistant) camera (the current model is the WP10). This mainly solves the problem you're facing. This camera is very compact and it takes very good photos. You do have to worry about accidentally dropping it into the lake, so you should tether the camera to you somehow or attach a float the the handstrap so that the camera doesn't sink to the bottom of the lake.

Rex
I agree on this one. I got sick and tired of ruining my cameras especially when I take a dunking in the rivers, which I often do. This one's Waterproof, not water resistant!!!

I ended up buying the Pentax Camera from Costco. Not only is it cheap ($250) but it takes awesome pictures (6mp) and really clear videos. Backed up with Costco lifetime warranty, wherein I can return/exchange/upgrade at any time, it can't be beat.

Tight lines

John

#16 ·
what's the sense in paying as much for a waterproof container as you did for the camera? the camera becomes disposable at that point. a good zip lock while its in the daypack or pontoon pocket and then around my neck whenever its in use. most of the time its inside my waders and handy to use with no danger of dropping. the only one i ever ruined was my wife's (of course) and I forgot it was in a lower jacket pocket and waded in too deep. then i left it in the car overnight and it froze. i don't touch her camera anymore and that was 12 years ago! the vast majority of my fishing is lakes these days. i'd be a little more wary of moving waters due to falling, but i'm getting too old for that kind of thing anyway. i don't wade where i might get dunked anymore.

#20 ·
I personally use an Olympus Stylus 410. Yes, its only water-resistant but I think it takes great shots (Megapixels ain't everything baby). I have used it while kayaking, rafting and in torrential downpours. It has been slimmed by nice fish more times than I can count. I clip the wrist strap to my vest with a climbing carabineer. It is clipped on at about chest level so its never too far away. I can also unclip and hand to my fishing partner easily. To keep it out of the way I tuck it into a breast pocket on my shirt while its still clipped on. Never dropped it yet, or missed a good shot in the 3 years of owning it.

#21 ·
I've pretty much stopped bringing a camera along on my fishing trips. I spent more time worrying about getting the 'right' shot or about protecting it when I wasn't using it than any benefit I derived from the pics I took. Plus, time spent fiddling with a camera is time not spent fishing.

K

#22 ·
nikon d70 travels in a pelican case with all its lenses. when the action starts, the camera with appropriate lenses goes in a rolltop dry bag.

i have searched and searched for a dry bag that would provide easy access but have not found anything appropriate. so for now, the rolltop dry bag is the best i have found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.