Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

How do you set up your nymph, indicator when using a switch rod..

Spey 
7K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  surfnfish 
G
#1 ·
Curious to see what lines you all use when doing indicator/nymph fishing with the switch or spey? I mostly swing but want to try a few bugs on the little guy...I imagine a scandi head would work fine with a mono leader....Do you tie your own for this or just use a store bought and add tippet, swivel, split ?

Also while i'm at it..how do you tie on your droppers? saw a cool way yesterday by running the line through the fly, come back and double surgeons knot...bring it semi tight to the fly and you have one on the loop and line for a dropper..pretty cool...can put a split shot on the secondary line if you can only fish one fly...and it will tic tic tic along pulling your fly down..

#34 ·
You know that soft seam on the other side of the river that you can't wade to.....well if you could cast over there say 50 feet, you could never get a drift with the faster current in the middle and a single hand rod correct? Well lets say you could make that cast and then be able to vertically stack mend another 30 -80 feet of line in a vertical line down that seam while holding your running line up out of the faster middle water(added length of two handed rods benifit) and stack mending it all the way down the seam..it is more like running drifts with a float rod set up.....hence why it is looked down upon. It's a little hard for me to explain but you really can fish a lot more lines and drifts that previously you would not even try to fish. It (for me) is a lot less work to use a two-hander when nymphing a long leader, lots of weight, and double junk set ups, and i can fish pretty much everything i want with less effort of moving my postion and wading a bunch. For me it is far more efficient that a single hand rod. Exceptions are small water, and fishing in really close to you. Not enough room for the big sticks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.