How do you set up your nymph, indicator when using a switch rod..

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I use a scandi line and a corkie works great from a drift boat

2. EASY bro.... wait this isn't piscatorial pursuits???? damn wrong site

3. hellomyles

hellomyles Member

Ambush is the way to go on a switch rod for throwing indicators. My .02

4. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I'm toneing it lol...I am not looking at it for steel..I've got a 4wt meiser switch, little bro to..well shit..I got a few meisers...I'm in a major winter steel funk and don't feel like joining the gong show on a river up north so have been hitting creek mouths etc on the Fraser some Harrison etc. looking for trout, bulls, whitefish..hell anything that would take a bug...Have noticed with the warm weather we've been having some pretty decent hatches happening and started searching fruitlessly for my summer stuff...

Looking or asking and seeing the responses think my scandi head should work but will look at a couple of the other lines too...I want to be able to put on a small indicator and toss out a small stone, pt etc. when I see something happening...but also be able to switch back to the swing with fry patterns etc. when the pink fry start moving here soon.

With the bigger bro to this one meiser switch I can overhead pretty decent though this one doesn't seem to like it much with a polyleader on it...which I think has to do with the polyleader more then anything else..or at least hope so...

Maybe I'll get lucky and hook into a lighting bolt and get out of my funk...but for now...it's been kind of a blast to put down the bigger sticks and do some small fish hunting....been awhile since I've put an indicator on anything but a single hander so looking to see what others might suggest..

Thanks!!!

5. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

I use both the Sage indicator 320grn line and the Rio AFS 5/6 on my 7110 switch. I prefer the AFS for its verisitility. The AFS can toss a thingamabob, lead and flies no problem.

As far as set up, for steelhead I like to use a hand tied leader - 4' of 20# / 3' o 15# / 18" of 10# / triple surgeon knot an addional 18" of 10# or 8# leaving a long tag (3") end on terminal side to add an upper fly. I imagine for trout I'd just use lighter test lines in the same set up.

6. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Airflo Ridge indicator taper one line weight heavy, level 12lb flouro mono leader two flies #7 shot

7. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Why don't you just stick the indi rig it on the end of a skagit line ?

8. Robert B. Meiser

Robert B. Meiser New Member

Paul,

You and I have discussed this topic numerous times over the past months ...

In truth you can use any correctly matched floating Scandi head for indy nymph presentation with the short two handed rod, and I have sent you an ideal line for this with the recently sent rod.

This line will swing fish as well as it will indy fish <> If that is what you'll wish to do with it.

... But if you wish to indy fish this line <> You do not use Poly Leaders: You use conventional tapered mono leaders.

If you indy nymph with a single handed fly rod you'd not use Poly Leaders <> So why would you use them with a two handed rod ?

If you are having problems with delivering Poly leaders with this rod/line you are probably using Poly Leaders that are too heavy and/or too long for the line to carry.

The line sent is of the correct length and perfectly grain matched for the rod, and for your swing fishing; you can use Poly Leaders of floating all the way to extra fast sink, but it would be best to use Poly Leaders under 10' in length and under 65 grains in weight.

Meiz

9. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Yeah, Yup gotta cha....polyleaders are new to me as odd as that sounds..have used t-6 and 8 so long....The line is fantastic bob..and you know me so to say that it is a sweet match...I'm thinking though maybe my indicators are two big?
    (handed rod over for pic only)

10. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

May also need to use a thicker butt section to turn over the indicator, 20-30# mono works great. If you keep the indicator within a foot or so from the mainline and leader connection a smaller butt section works but doesn't allow for much depth adjustment.

11. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Thanks G-man! Always there with the eye-candy~

I'll second the Ambush - it's a great line for throwing heavy bugs and indicators, poly tips, etc. Very good lenght for light switch rods.

I used an 8wt Ambush and 10' fast sinking poly on the TFO 11' switch for big pinks in the Skagit last summer and it rocked.

The line is a cross between Scandi and Skagit - tapered like a Skandi but with a heavier tip to enable throwing big bulky indicators, weighed flies, etc with ease.

Brian

12. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Indicators w/ a spey rig??? I have to agree w/ Sean, my meat pole is a single hand 8 weight XP.

13. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

weak! i was stoked to try it out. curious what rod you threw it with? thanks dude.

14. sean sick avatar....

15. treefrog

treefrog Dan Hall

I use an Elkhorn switch rod (11' 5/6) http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/flyrods/spey.cfm with a Beulah elixir 5/6, 295 gr line, and I take off the 10 ft floating poly leader when indicator fishing replacing it w/ a 3 ft butt section of 20 # Maxima leader to which I attach 10 pound Vanish flurocarbon (6 to 8 ft) to #4 DB Stonefly then attach to the bend of the #4 hook 18 inches of 8 or 6 pound Vanish flurocarbon and tie on a smaller nymph. I use the 3/4" Thingamabobber on the Maxima section. I use the uni-knot or Duncan Loop knot (same knot) to each fly, leaving a loop so the fly freely swings during the drift. Everyone has their favorite tippet material, but I have used Berkley Vanish for years. It is inexpensive and hasn't failed me any more than other 'premium' leader materials I have tried.