Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

How do you take pics alone?

6K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  7919 
#1 ·
Alright, I took my camera with me yesterday and intended to take some pics. What I found was that just having the camera with me distracted me from fishing. When I did catch a fish, I found myself struggling with the mechanics of locating the camera, and basically struggling/fumbling to achieve this "multi-tasking fishing." I was more worried about dropping my camera in the water or harming the fish. Kudos to you who can pull this off---its a real talent.:D

#2 ·
That's one reason why I don't have many fish pictures. It's a pain in the ass to do it, and the fish never benefit from the activity. I've got a bunch of photos of steelhead laying in shallow water near the beach, and the vast majority don't come close to meeting the bar of decent, let alone good, photography. They're kind of a record of "I came, I caught, I conquered." And it takes good time away from fishing. Sometimes the opportunity to hook fish is short lived, and taking pictures just shortens that window of opportunity. Maybe inappropriate here, but the phrase, "are ya' gonna' fish or cut bait?" comes to mind. Reword to say, "are ya' gonna' fish or take pictures?"

And then there's the day your fishing buddy is along. Then what do ya' get? A mug shot of you and your fish, aka "hero shot." How many of those can you look at before ya' gag?

Don't get me wrong. I love to see fish. And when I see a photo that is actually good, I'm envious.

Sg

#9 ·
iagree Listen to Salmo_g and don't get involved with anything that needs maintenance, polishing, or takes away from actual fishing time. Lessons learned!:thumb: Work is bad enough. today I have to go to work. Rain in the forecast indicates fishing later.
I hardly take any fish pictures any more, but the fish don't seem to mind.

#3 ·
Adam,
I find myself in the same boat.....while I will take a few pic's I seem to reach a point where I just want to fish and spend less time trying for the pic so I take a few and then forget about it.....now I haven't figured out how to do it when I Carp fish but I think I will see if "Backyard" will rent out his personal photographer.........:)

#4 ·
I try to keep the camera in an upper pocket of my vest, slip my hand through the lanyard before I take it out of my pocket.
As for getting my hand on the fish, tough. I have been able to get my foot in the picture and keep the fish in the water, safely for the fish, also was able to lay down by the creek and tail the fish for a shot
Almost wish I had a third hand or some way to hang on to my rod.
Your a smart guy, you'll figure something out.
Gary

#7 ·
I wear my camera on my chest using a Bino Buddy. That system for binoculars. That way the camera is always tight to my body and doesn't swing away from my chest if I lean over, and it is really handy if I need it. In the winter time I just unzip my shell and it is at the ready.

If I cant take the picture in 20-30 seconds I don't bother, unless it is a fish I plan on keeping.

#8 ·
Get a wide angle lens (it will capture everything and then some) ..... learn how to use the time delay. find a rock to set the camera on, and your dialed. may not be the best shots but it's something. Works great during steelhead season, especially when you BONK em first.:thumb: Good luck

#10 ·
If you want to photograph fish alone, there are several keys to making it take as little time as possible. This applies differently for rivers, small streams, lakes and the salt. The first key is to put you camera somewhere that you know right where it is and is easily accessible (front pocket of a vest or waders, ect...).

Second if you can carry a net it generally helps a lot to keep the fish in the water and calm, while you get ready for the photo.

Part of the key is also in how you fight the fish, it is best to try to land it in an area that will make photography as easy as possible, it is a good idea to take the sun /shadows into account as this will determine how you photo turns out.

When you get the camera out, use the wrist strap if it has one as it provides a safety like from dropping it in the water. If you can afford a waterproof camera, they are great investments when fishing. Pull the fish out of the net quickly (a relaxed grip helps a lot with this part) and snap a couple of pics and release it.

Despite what people say this all really is not that difficult or time consuming and can be done with out damaging the fish.

#20 ·
Second if you can carry a net it generally helps a lot to keep the fish in the water and calm, while you get ready for the photo.

Part of the key is also in how you fight the fish, it is best to try to land it in an area that will make photography as easy as possible, it is a good idea to take the sun /shadows into account as this will determine how you photo turns out.

Despite what people say this all really is not that difficult or time consuming and can be done with out damaging the fish.
I totally agree with the gigharborflyfisher!! "taking a photo" probably not equal to "harm a fish", if you get the job done right. I think use the net, the rubber net, is the key. I saw some people didn't bother carry a net in trout fishing. They end up fighting the fish too long, squiz the fish, beached fish or even thow a fish on land. I consider this is more harmful to the fish than proper handled photography.

On the other hand, some angler net the fish quickly, calm it down in the net when prepare the camera setting. I think this is much mild stress to the fish. Usually I put the camera (P&S - Pentax optio 30 is what i use) in my front pocket. You only need one squiz to turn it on. Cradle the fish out of the net, get one shot. Dip the head into the water for another shot.

Also, for another reason, if everybody stop taking fish photos... the praised gallery would become very boring... I really enjoy and appreciate (i have to say) some of the anglers here take a lot of different fish photos from different drainages (gighaborflyfisher is one of them!). The photo gallery could be a very valuable source for scientific research or worth further investigation.

Just my opinion for your reference...

Adam, you can figure that out! You are a smart guy :thumb:

#12 ·
I also agree with SG. I carry a camera most of the time when I fish, but as my trip posts show, I mostly take pics of flowers, scenery, fishing partners, etc., and only occasionally of a fish. When I do take a pic of a fish, I do it like Gig suggests, keep it in a net and in the water until I have the camera turned on and in my right hand, then I lift the fish in my left hand or lay it in the shallow water and snap. My primary concern is for the fish and if it is reluctant to cooperate or is going to take more than a few seconds, then I don't need the picture.
Dick

#13 ·
I have the waterproof Olympus so there is no need to worry about dropping it. With one push of a bottom the self timer is set to go. If available i set the camera on a log or rock and stand in front on the camera. You can later crop the picture to make for a better pic if needed! If no rock or log is available you can always take a pic of the fish in the water next to your rod! Also keeping the camera around you neck will make for easy access...

#14 ·
I used to carry a camera along but I found out it a hassle taking pictures of fish. So now I just think of the fish I catch and they pop into my brain. I don't need the hero shot. So now I just take pictures of where I've been fishing. So you can all wonder where I've been.

#15 ·
Panhandle, I have fished years without using a camera much. It was always just something more to carry. When my cell phone came with a camera it was very easy
to take a picture and I took them as I so fit. I am now using a digital. Just keep in wader pocket and try not to make the mistakes I did and forget to put your pocket back inside of your waders prior to wading deeper.
Good luck.

#19 ·
For the most part I take 2 types of fishing photo.'s. I take pictures of what I see while fishing and of fish that I catch. I have an auto focus digital that I carry with a strap around my kneck and the camera in the front pocket of my waders. After slliding the fish into some thin water I take a photo with the camera about ear high. The photo.'s generally come out. If they don't, I haven't handled the fish much. If they do, then I have documented the catch, along with the date. Don't sweat it either way. I figure all the great steelhead photo.'s are taken by gear guys 'cuz they catch more, and usually fish as a team out of a boat.
You can also practice by focusing the camera on your reel after laying it on the stones prior to entering a run.
You are there to fish, a good photo. documenting the catch, or of the scenery is only icing on the cake.

2-2 at the stretch,

cds

#22 ·
I usually fish alone so as a result my camera stays on my chest for the most part because like Salmo g says- "Its a pain in the ass to do" and you have to think about the well being of the fish. On the other hand sometime things work out and it can be done quickly with no harm done to the fish if it is cooperative. Set your rod down beside fish, take a couple quick pics and release the fish. This isn't the norm though in my experience. Sthd pic is from last Sept and Cutt pic is from last months 2wk trout trip to the Charlottes.

#28 ·
I fish alone a lot and end up with a lot of scenery pictures. I have a "weather proof" camera and hang it inside my waders with a shoulder stap through the lanyard. It's easily accessible for quick shots. For fish I release the best I'm willing to try is a pic of them laying in the shallows. Sometimes they turn out ok, sometimes they're crappy. If I keep a fish then I can use the timer for that hero shot of a mighty hatchery fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.