How do you take pics alone?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Panhandle, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Couldnt have rephrased that any better myself! Its a real pain to do it and I feel that I will harm the fish more if I attempt. Besides, who are you trying to impress. I dont feel I need proof to make myself any better of a fisherman than I already am. JMHO:thumb:

Jake

2. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Get some friends....

3. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    iagree thats what i was thinking!

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    For the most part I take 2 types of fishing photo.'s. I take pictures of what I see while fishing and of fish that I catch. I have an auto focus digital that I carry with a strap around my kneck and the camera in the front pocket of my waders. After slliding the fish into some thin water I take a photo with the camera about ear high. The photo.'s generally come out. If they don't, I haven't handled the fish much. If they do, then I have documented the catch, along with the date. Don't sweat it either way. I figure all the great steelhead photo.'s are taken by gear guys 'cuz they catch more, and usually fish as a team out of a boat.
    You can also practice by focusing the camera on your reel after laying it on the stones prior to entering a run.
    You are there to fish, a good photo. documenting the catch, or of the scenery is only icing on the cake.

2-2 at the stretch,

cds

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:

I totally agree with the gigharborflyfisher!! "taking a photo" probably not equal to "harm a fish", if you get the job done right. I think use the net, the rubber net, is the key. I saw some people didn't bother carry a net in trout fishing. They end up fighting the fish too long, squiz the fish, beached fish or even thow a fish on land. I consider this is more harmful to the fish than proper handled photography.

On the other hand, some angler net the fish quickly, calm it down in the net when prepare the camera setting. I think this is much mild stress to the fish. Usually I put the camera (P&S - Pentax optio 30 is what i use) in my front pocket. You only need one squiz to turn it on. Cradle the fish out of the net, get one shot. Dip the head into the water for another shot.

Also, for another reason, if everybody stop taking fish photos... the praised gallery would become very boring... I really enjoy and appreciate (i have to say) some of the anglers here take a lot of different fish photos from different drainages (gighaborflyfisher is one of them!). The photo gallery could be a very valuable source for scientific research or worth further investigation.

Just my opinion for your reference...

Adam, you can figure that out! You are a smart guy :thumb:

6. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I've killed three cameras taking them fishing and sooner or later I'll probably kill the one I just bought.

7. Bryan Lowrie

Bryan Lowrie New Member

I usually fish alone so as a result my camera stays on my chest for the most part because like Salmo g says- "Its a pain in the ass to do" and you have to think about the well being of the fish. On the other hand sometime things work out and it can be done quickly with no harm done to the fish if it is cooperative. Set your rod down beside fish, take a couple quick pics and release the fish. This isn't the norm though in my experience. Sthd pic is from last Sept and Cutt pic is from last months 2wk trout trip to the Charlottes.

8. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I just use a quick release around my neck and put the camera in my front pocket. Easy not a hassle at all !!!

9. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Spot on Bryan, It's just that simple.
    I have spent many years fishing without a camera, Sometimes it is nice to see that fish again. Memory has a way of distorting things, you know.

10. Abel1

Abel1 New Member

Come on! Many times you do not have a fishing partner to take that HERO shot?
    F..k Off! It's never about you dude? It's about the FISH..... If I had only taken more pictures!

11. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

I go ashore, and get that camera under the water and snap, snap!

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Calvin and Joe, you guys bring up a good point. Where does one go to make friends? :ray1:

13. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

I fish alone a lot and end up with a lot of scenery pictures. I have a "weather proof" camera and hang it inside my waders with a shoulder stap through the lanyard. It's easily accessible for quick shots. For fish I release the best I'm willing to try is a pic of them laying in the shallows. Sometimes they turn out ok, sometimes they're crappy. If I keep a fish then I can use the timer for that hero shot of a mighty hatchery fish.

14. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I go to Montana to make friends !!:beer1::beer1:

15. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

As far as water resistance I slip my little digital inside a sandwich zip-lock bag and in my front chest pocket for quickie shots. Nothin like a quickie!