How do you transport your pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by dogsnfish, Feb 5, 2013.

?

How do you transport your pontoon?

1. On top of truck/car

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Inflated in back of truck

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Deflated in back of truck or in car

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Trailer

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. dogsnfish

dogsnfish Active Member

I am thinking of stepping up from my float tube to a pontoon that is 9' or 10'. I have a full sized pickup with a canopy on it, so I am wondering how others transport theirs to the water. Putting a fully inflated pontoon in the back would be tight as far as width, but I could just inflate it when I get there. I've considered putting a rack on the truck and putting it up there, but the thought kind of scares me. I have also looked at catarafts and that would take a trailer. Anyway, just curious what others do.

2. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

I haul my 8' pontoon on top of a Scion Xd.

I think Even Burke hauls his 2 man pontoon on top of Scion Xb.

What scares you about putting it on top of the canopy?

M

3. gofish101

gofish101 Member

I partially deflate the bags and throw them in the back of truck on top of a pram when I head over to Kelowna. When my brother and I go fishing we'll throw 2 pontoons (Skykomish Sunrise) partially deflated in the back of the truck and strap them down. Be forewarned make sure you deflate them generously going over the Coquihalla (Pennask Summit) as you get pretty high up. Always found using a trailer would hinder you getting into some spots ie. Prosser. I have a 6' 4" box on my truck and couple of years back we had 3 pontoons in the back of the truck strapped down and no problems. If I had a canopy I would remove the toons from the frame throw the frame in with the toons on top partially deflated. Once you get the hang of setting up you should find it takes only a couple of minutes.

4. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

An 8-9' pontoon will ride fine on a pair of Yakima-style racks. I carry a 10'-6" long x 60" Scadden on mine.

5. Panther

Panther Member

I have carried my 9 foot Renegade pontoon on top of my truck for very short distances of a half mile or so. I worry though that if I take it on a highway and travel at 55-65 mph, the wind will carry it away. Is this a legitimate concern?

6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Partially-deflated in my truck.

7. PT

PT Physhicist

I've put 10's of thousands of miles on my trucks with an assortment of inflatables on crossbars attached to the canopy. 8' Buck's to an Aire Puma. What is there to be afraid of? 80 mph on the highway isn't a big deal unless you're using dental floss to tie it down.

Answer to your poll question is E.

8. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Not if you tie it down. I used 2 straps, 1" material with cam-ratchets. Never an issue.

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Looks like I'm in the minority transporting mine by trailer. I guess I have always been the odd guy out.

Attached Files:

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Crap Dave, guess I need two quotes

11. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Nothing will ever come close to "give me something to throw".

12. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I've been transporting my 9' Bucs bronco on the roof racks of my 4-Runner for almost a decade. I use 4 straps, one at each corner, that run around the supports of the roof racks and the frame of the boat. I cinch they down pretty tight. When heading up to altitude from Olympia, the air expands and they do get tighter. When heading down from the mountains, the change in pressure causes them to soften and the boat slides a bit back, but it is still held in place by the 4 straps. The only trick, if there is a trick, is lifting the boat onto the roof when I'm by myself.

I keep my pontoon fully inflated in my garage. My thought is that I am more likely to use it if I don't have to go to too much effort to prepare it for the trip.

Steve

13. dogsnfish

dogsnfish Active Member

Just the idea of it flying off at 60 or 70mph. But it sounds like that is not much of a problem and that may be the easiest way to go. I often go alone, but the pontoons I am looking at are not that heavy. I can just lean it against the back of the truck and then push it up. Thanks everyone!

14. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Sky Seat Post 002.JPG
    Dale, if you have tubular racks like Yakimas on the shell, I've an easier way that won't scratch up your shell. I can load my Scadden 10' er by myself or with help, load it with 2 frames doubled up on the tubes (about 110 lbs.). Cut some tubing that'll slide inside your rack tubes (in my case I used 1/2" PVC, EMT or copper would work also) about 24" long. When loading/unloading remove the end cap on the racks and slide the short tubing inside about 1/3 of total length (18" in my case). This extends the rack rails away from truck/shell. Solo, I stand pontoon on side, grab by the middle or balance point and lift sraight up, top bladder going over the extended tubing. While it hangs there, grab the bottom bladder and rotate upwards, sliding upper bladder onto rack. Remove tubing extensions and apply hold-down straps. Attached picture shows my Skykomish frame doubled up for stillwaters or Class I & II waters.

15. dogsnfish

dogsnfish Active Member

P7100031.JPG Thanks Robert! Great idea. BTW, you have great taste in trailers. Here is my "mobile fish lab."

Ron McNeal likes this.