How far to travel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Bradfield, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Why drive when you can walk?

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well I really can't walk to far. So I have to drive. But I only fish that river in the winter time. It's way to damn many out of state people there in the Summer.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Just givin' you a hard time, OMJ! ;)

Old Man likes this.
  4. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

My average river trip is around 2.5 hours to the first spot and i usually spend another hour or so in the car drivng to different rivers. I plan my day trips where i can get a few good hours on a river and then ill hit another one close by the second river is usually one that i have never fished before just looking for some new waters. For lakes the max i have driven is 3 hours and that was a 2 day fishing trip at pass lake while i spent time with my uncle.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I know it. I can take it.:p:p

6. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I usually have pretty limited time to fish, so I try to limit drive time to around an hour each way.

7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

One advantage is that i don't often fish in the dark. So the dark hours can be used for transportation. That being said, I'll drive 6 hours in a single day to get to and from a place I want to fish. Makes a 12-15 hour day. I find I've lost the motivation to day trip like that often, and I get dangerously tired driving home in the dark after a days fishing that started at "0-dark-thirty"

If I am staying someplace a for more than a day...well, that puts most of the western US in range. Realistically 16 hours in one direction (for a multi day trip) is probably as far as I would drive.

8. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

For a single-day trip, I'll drive 2.5 to 3 hours each way. That puts the Elwha, West End, Yakima, Leech, and Coldwater within range. That much driving for one day of fishing is not my favorite however. If I can camp and fish a second day, that is my preference. For a multi-day trip, I'll drive at least as far as 8 hours at a stretch, especially if it is going to be five days or more.

Steve

9. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

64 mins from the left stall of my garage to the roadside put-in at Pass. 71 mins while the bridge was out.