Pattern How large of a chironomid do you tie

GAT

Dumbfounded
I think you guys mean "buzzers" not "bombers" :)

The vast majority of midge emerger patterns I use are on the smallish size. I'd say sizes 16-20 is the norm. The only stillwater where I use a size 8 is at Mann. I have no idea why the midges are so large over there.

Teenage Entomologist

Gotta love the pteronarcys.
I think you guys mean "buzzers" not "bombers" :)

The vast majority of midge emerger patterns I use are on the smallish size. I'd say sizes 16-20 is the norm. The only stillwater where I use a size 8 is at Mann. I have no idea why the midges are so large over there.

High Desert lakes have an unusual amount of minerals that can support large trout and many insect species. That's what I have come to realize.

GAT

Dumbfounded
High Desert lakes have an unusual amount of minerals that can support large trout and many insect species. That's what I have come to realize.
Nahhhh.

I think the real reason is due to the discovery of uranium in the Steens Mountains near Mann. Obviously residue from the uranium has leaked into the lake and caused the bugs to mutate into an abnormally large size... the radiation effect :)

Teenage Entomologist

Gotta love the pteronarcys.
Nahhhh.

I think the real reason is due to the discovery of uranium in the Steens Mountains near Mann. Obviously residue from the uranium has leaked into the lake and caused the bugs to mutate into an abnormally large size... the radiation effect :)
Alkalinity is also an important factor.

Some weird things come to mind when radiation/ harmful materials combine with trout. The double-jaw effect:)
image.jpg