How many steelhead on a guided trip?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by 2LazyH, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Geeze 81! Care to stretch that story out a bit:eek:

True not a numbers game. We all hope to hook up, but the reality is that many get skunked. I think about hiring a guide like paying for a consultant, try to get every ounce of information (hands on) that I can get for your money. I bet we all miss a lot of education because we are too distracted by hoping for the tug.

I crave the information, but I actually hate fishing with the guide. I love steelheading for the meditative peace. and it is too distracting fishing and trying to talk to the guide.

I wonder what I could learn from a guide if I spent the time never touching the rod?

Joe

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    How many flies at a picnic?

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Personally, after flying in from S. Cal tomorrow for the Hoh event, I'm just hoping for a "tug". It can't be about the money in my opinion. It's about the experience (for me anyway).

4. PT

PT Physhicist

Do you have a seat in someone's boat for the weekend? If not let me know.

5. ZigZag

ZigZag Member

portland oregon, Chico California, Tahoe, Reno NV.
    I just watched Drift so forgive me "Good steelhead fishing can be defined as fishing great water well, thats all you can expect from the sport." John Hazel. IMHO I would prefer to show up on guide day, ready for the challenge. I want to have my guide put me on the tough water and let me fish.

6. FT

FT Active Member

All I can say is it ain't trout fishing, and especially not like the trout fishing I experienced for the 12 years I lived in Montana. It is steelhead fishing and fishing for them is not at all like trout fishing. So you may fish for a week with a guide and not have so much as a pull, and the guy that fishes the very next day after you leave might hook and land 3 or 4 of them. Many of the best steelhead fly fishers over the years have written about going weeks and sometimes months without a pull. In other words, your question doesn't make sense to any of us who fish for steelhead most of the time.

7. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

having few fish in the river can make it tough for beginners. How can you know you're doing things right if the fish aren't there, letting you know you're doing it right?
    Therefore I suggest you fish with more experienced guys. Buy the food, pay for the gas, and be grateful to do it.

8. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

These kind of questions annoy the shit out of me. Trout or steelhead, a guide can't guarantee fish-- In particular steelhead. Guides are there to offer insight, advice, and direction-- in terms of where to cast and when. If the fishing sucks, it sucks. That's no fault of the guide. If the experience sucks, you may want to look at your unrealistic expectations. A guideā€™s primary job is to provide you with a quality of experience, not #'s of fish.

I just paid many hundreds of dollars to have a guide drift me down a river I'm unable to navigate. The guide had no advice to offer in terms of, "You're doing this right and this wrong," but was cool as shit and could row what I couldn't. I caught no fish, but consider the money spent, and the trip well worth the money.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

There is no number. If you have to catch fish for it to be worth the trip, make sure you are taking that trip to the fish market.

10. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Are you serious? Have you ever fished for steelhead?

11. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

Great point, whether it be steelhead fishing or big game hunting, success rates are dependent on a multitude of factors including angler skill, guide experience, the abundance/dearth of the quarry, etc. Not something that one can quantify with any degree of reliability as one would with business metrics like click through rates, coupon redemption rates, you name it.

12. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

I spent a day last week on a local PDX fishery with a very good guide that knows every rock, seam and bucket in the system. With 50+ days on that river since the new year he had brought 15 fish to the boat. I was lucky enough to bring in # 16. Catching fish was the last thing on my mind when booking the trip. Having the input of a guy who spends 4-5 days a week on the river under all sorts of conditions is the reason for booking the trip.

13. 2LazyH

2LazyH New Member

Thank you all for your feedback on my question, I appreciate the comments. I have done some steelhead fishing both in Idaho and in some tributaries to Lake Erie (without a guide) with success. I do understand the role of a guide for I have been guiding fly fishing for the last 11 years and big game hunting. I have hired guides in New Zealand and in Islamorada.

ZIG ZAG...I have yet to see the film "Drift" but I loved the quote you posted from it, that sums it up.

Thanks Again!

14. mike kinney

mike kinney Member

If I get a call for a trip and the first question is how many fish am I going to catch,then I usually tell them they called the wrong number.Then I send them to some one I don't like.( Some of you know who that is) MK

15. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Have fun :) The OP fishing experience is nothing like those eastern US streams or Idaho! :)