Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

How Many Strung Rods In The Boat?

Tags
in rods
4K views 43 replies 36 participants last post by  mtskibum16 
#1 ·
I tried up to four rods last spring. Not sure if that was optimal. Do you take one rod with a floating line and change between dry fly fishing and a chironomid setup? Or two rods strung with floating lines, one for dries and one for chironomids? I'm pretty happy having my old Fenwick fiberglass 7 1/2' 6 wt strung with a fast sink WF6S for dragging buggers between spots or other deep fished nymphs from an anchored position. I'm less certain about having a rod with a sink tip line. Back in the days before beadhead nymph patterns, the sink tip got a lot of use. It seems less necessary now.

I'm going to make a rod rack for the new pram, but have yet to decide how many rods it should hold. How many strung rods do you take out on still water?

Sg

#30 ·
In the rowboat/pram, if I am by myself, 3 or 4. Some stay in a tube til I decide I need them.

For sure a Type 5 full sink and a floating rod indicator setup.
good to have another floater with the expected emerger on (midge or callibaetis) and ready to go.
lastly, clear intermediate. don't fish this one much and would sure like to hear from those who do. What am I missing?

jay

#31 ·
In my boat, I keep 6 strung up most of the time.

I have three indicator rods ready. One for my 18 to 30 foot work, one form my 12 to 18 foot work and one for my under 12 foot work.

The other three, are a clear intermediate, a type 5 and a type 7.

Most of the time they are strung and in rod carriers that can fit a reel, but it has not been unheard of for me to have to put 6 rods away at the end of a trip.

I'm very tempted to add a 7th rod for dry fly/super shallow work where I'm not using an indicator, but for now I actually force myself to remove the indicator on my shallow water set up, when I need to do this. I don't like doing this for dries though, because I always use fluorocarbon tippet and I have to remove that when I fish dries.

#44 ·
In my boat, I keep 6 strung up most of the time.

I have three indicator rods ready. One for my 18 to 30 foot work, one form my 12 to 18 foot work and one for my under 12 foot work.

The other three, are a clear intermediate, a type 5 and a type 7.

Most of the time they are strung and in rod carriers that can fit a reel, but it has not been unheard of for me to have to put 6 rods away at the end of a trip.

I'm very tempted to add a 7th rod for dry fly/super shallow work where I'm not using an indicator, but for now I actually force myself to remove the indicator on my shallow water set up, when I need to do this. I don't like doing this for dries though, because I always use fluorocarbon tippet and I have to remove that when I fish dries.
Honestly, I expected all 6 to be indicator setups. :D

#35 ·
I have a Spratley with the cutout in front to accommodate he 10'. But I get somewhat concerned with the reels stacked at the back. They bang into each other. I saw on another forum where guys have put rod/reel supports on the rear platform to rest them in and at the same time keep them separated. Have any of you seen this or have a suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.