How Many Winter-Run Steelhead???

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Ben Waldschmidt, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

I was just wondering how everyone's success has been this season for winter steelhead. Approximately how many days on the river, and how many fish were brought to hand during that time? Not looking for anyone's secrets to success, just curious to see how all of you have done.

Me:

Trips to the river since December: 3 per week, average
    Fish to Hand: 0 (one grab in beginning of February)

(Let's try to keep the NFR stuff out of this one)

Ben

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Ben, great thread. I have pondered posting this one for some time. I have fished for steelhead ten days. I have had one solid take, one hooked and one landed (all the same fish). Hatchery hen on the Elwah in a nice stretch that I've fished for silvers in years past. She was small, but chrome bright and got some stone shampoo. That made nine other days of beautiful scenery and casting practice. Some spent with quality WFF members, some spent pleasantly alone.

3. filson

filson Steve Wilson

I've been 4 days for winter Steelhead. Landed 3, lost another 2.

4. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

3 days and I hooked two, only brought one to hand, as far as fly fishing goes....:clown:

5. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Damn....If you can can count early season (fall) two...this year 09 one...a couple takes or swirls....Fished hard early...have been pretty burnt lately, though this is probably the best time..mojo isn't flowing for me at the moment..

But I will say at least the ones I have gotten have been memorable...

Believe me this ain't diddly compared to some I know!!! bawling:

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I've gone out zero times, and caught no fish. Probably because there are no winter run steelhead here :(

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I really don't keep count of days or fish anymore. Have a pretty good log that my Dad has kept that dates back from the 60's until about the 90's. I just go out to fish anymore, don't care about the numbers. But have had about 15 or so to hand (gear and fly) and about twice as many days fishing (give or take).

8. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    5 days (6 if you count a blown out day on the duc), 1 hooked and lost. in those six days i watched my buddies hook another 6 between us.

9. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Seven days I believe.......Three brats on the Snoq. earlier in the year. One nymphing, two swinging surprisingly.

10. Tyler Watters

Tyler Watters Stickin' pigs.

One day on the Hoh. Two landed(both hatchery), two lost. Beginners luck.

11. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Anywhere from 2-7 days a week (depending on desparation to actually hook a steelhead this year). I stopped med Feb. for sturgeon (I think). Only had had one hit (sorta), this was on the opening day (for everyone). It was on the Cascade, I saw two nice chromers just chillin out, so I crept up the river about 30 feet or so and casted out and let my fly drift down to them. The bigger one charged it like a freight train, the day was about to be awsome, and then my buddy got exited (really exited) and jumped towards the water edge and pointed over the fish while yelling "IT'S GONNA BITE, IT'S GONNA BITE". Well needless to say the fish turned tail and ran, my buddy was about one hair strand from walking home, but I ain't that mean.:rolleyes::D That was it all season.

12. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Interesting thread! I can't count how many times I've been out...maybe 20 times and my first two steelies to hand, both on the swing.

13. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

Days fishing: 11 (since January 1st 2009)

Steelhead on: 15

Steelhead Landed: 9 (1 hatchery, 8 natives)

14. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

17 days out. I have hooked over 30 fish. Best day was 5 Fish.

15. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    My goal this winter was to cover a lot of ground, rather then stick to the local fisheries that I have beaten over and over again for the last several years. I fished as far South as the Siletz in Oregon all the way up North to the Skagit and Sauk with many days on Portland Metro area, SWW and OP rivers as well. I did not catch fish in all of the new fisheries I fished, but I did in several and learned a bunch in the process. The best part of the season was the end. Most of my boys did not start hitting fish until late March and it has not stopped since. My last three outting I am 3/5 with the spey and the two fished lost were at my feet. One of the landed fish was an 09 summer and a great way to switch seasons.

I spend around 25 days on the river with a few part days on the river here and there as well. December before the ice and March-Early April were the best months.