How much Coat-it will i need for my beat up old driftboat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by northidaho, Apr 25, 2013.

1. northidaho

northidaho New Member

Anyone have experience with this stuff? I wanna coat the bottom and about 4 inchs up the sides on a older 16 foot Drift boat i bought. Would a 8lb kit be enough or should i buy more ? Thanks in advance ! =)

2. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Where did you find it?

3. northidaho

northidaho New Member

The coat-it? Or the boat?

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I'm a wooden boat builder. That's not a product that's commonly used in the greater boat building world. I'm not sure if it's good stuff or not, it's just not something that I have experience with. I do, however use lots of epoxy with a graphite additive. It's great for adding durability to the bottom of the boat. It's not something that I would use to stop leaks though. For a 16' I would start out with a gallon and a half and go from there. Expect some serious sanding and fairing.

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Patrick, I think that Coat-It is an epoxy and graphite product.
    Do you know if epoxy/graphite can be applied over old gel-coat, if I fill in the pukas and deeper scratches before I prep-sand the hull?
    I was thinking of doing that to the bottom of my glass mini-drifter.

6. Patrick Gould

I guess my reply was confusing. I meant to convey that I haven't used the particular product, but the concept of epoxy with graphite is standard.

You can do the epoxy/graphite over the gel-coat, but you'll need a barrier coat first. Interlux or Pettit are good brands of barrier. Any decent marine store will have it.

7. northidaho

northidaho New Member

I saw a older glass boat with a layer of it on the bottom the owner told me he just sanded the old gel coat down a bit and it stuck to it just fine. And everything I read said the same. I think ill start with the 8lb kit and see if its enough. I found it on this website called creativewholesale and its on sale for 40% off at the moment. Home Depot also sell its but you have to order off the website in 2 packs they woulnt let u order just one for some reason. The coat it is epoxy graphite and Kevlar mix .

8. Frank R

Frank R Member

I would be cautious about any water-based epoxy products.

I epoxy coated my garage floor last year. In doing my research I read reviews on the kits available at the big box stores. There were a lot of claims of it peeling up after a short while. I went with an industrial/commercial epoxy coating instead.

9. Patrick Gould

Sanding will give you a good mechanical bond, give it a try. It'll definitely give you at least a few years. If I were doing it for a customer I would use a barrier coat.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  10. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I have a wooden drift boat (Ray's River Dory kit) and every couple years I flip it over, fill holes with West System epoxy mixed with micro fibers to a putty consistency. Then I go over it with a belt sander and then roll on 3 or 4 coats of WEST mixed with graphite powder with a foam roller. Very durable and easy to do! Rick

11. Fleshfly

Fleshfly New Member

Be advised that Coat-It or Glove-It are going to create an ongoing maintenance issue as the stuff doesn't last more than a year or two depending on usage. Some guides end up reapplying it 2-3 times a year. If you can wait a short time there is a new silicon epoxy product that I just heard about that's suppose to be much slipperier than either of the two previously mentioned products and outlast them 5-1. I believe you be able to either have the new distributor install it or buy the product and do it yourself. I'll see if I can find the name of the distributor and post a new response.

12. northidaho

northidaho New Member

Oh ya I sanded most of the old gel coat it was pretty bare already ,
    I'm not to worried on how it looks just wanna cover the bare glass on the bottom.

13. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Thanks. I am going to go the cheaper route and just fill in the pukas and sand the bottom for a good mechanical bond.

14. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

I covered the bottom of my 8' alum pram and needed 2 cans of the 2-lb kits. That was a very thin coating on the bottom and I had to roll it out. Although expensive its a great product in my opinion.
    http://www.tapplastics.com/product/fiberglass/epoxy_resins/coat_it_epoxy_sealer_with_kevlar/30
    Coat-It Epoxy Sealer with Kevlar®

A waterproof epoxy sealer for aluminum, steel, fiberglass, wood, and concrete. Apply with brush, roller, or squeegee. The 10 mil prime coat is flexible and non-shrinking in one application. Pot life of 30 minutes. Cure time: 10 hours @ 70°F. Use above or below the water line. Use with or without fiberglass reinforcement. Coat leaky ponds (cement or fiberglass). It creates a hard black surface that is scratch-resistant and durable.

• 2 lb kit covers approximately 20 sq ft.
    • 8 lb kit covers approximately 80 sq ft.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Ok, why are you putting it on a glass boat? Re gel coat it instead. That stuff was meant mostly for sticky aluminum boats. Makes them glide like a glass boat does. But if it's a glass boat use gel coat to match boat.

Most marine stores carry it. I know Sportco does too and think they will ship. But imho make the glass boat while again with gel coat.