NFR How the Seattle Seahawks Solved Peyton Manning

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I think the author read my pre-Super Bowl comments to a Yahoo article about the game responding to a Denver fan who thought Manning would shred our D all night long.

2. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Charles, did you see the article/interview where Wilson was talking about being restricted to a preset number of throws? It makes a little more sense when you see him scramble and not dump the ball off when you take into account Carrol limits the number of times it goes air born.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    When I was in Newark on a work trip last week, every single person I talked to said that Manning was going to torch the Seattle D. Including my coworkers.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I'm confused. So the Seattle win was due to better players? Or was it because they didn't spend $18MM on a quarterback? Or was it because there weren't any fantastic or genius coaching decisions? Or was it because Wilson managed to not turn the ball over despite never throwing on time and being underpaid?

Your buzzkill kinda sounds like you think they somehow managed to win in spite of themselves. For someone who said he'd be reluctantly rooting for the 'chickens', maybe we'd all be better off if you stuck to supporting your Sox.

K

5. PT

PT Physhicist

I'm sure Pom Pom Pete told Wilson not to throw to open receivers if he'd met his quota of passes for the game. Ya, I'm sure of that.

I'm sure Pete has no confidence in him. Just like in the NFC Championship when he threw that TD pass on 4th down. I'm sure of that, too.

Patrick Allen likes this.
  6. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I don't buy into the idea that the Seahawks won because they aren't overpaying their QB. Rather than basing the team strategy on a single player, they based it on an overall philosophy, and then found the people that best fit this philosophy. Making intelligent choices based on current ability rather than reputation and then being able to hone these skills as a team is where I think the genius comes in.

Lots of teams overpaid their QBs this year - how did that work out for them? There's always going to be teams that take this approach, yet I think that the top two teams (49's and Seahawks) took the opposite approach - one that I think a lot of teams will emulate.

In terms of Russell Wilson, I'll just have to disagree. Never throws on time? He's led his team to 28 wins in two years. Can't say that's all down to Bennett, Avril, or Harvin. Seemingly refuses to throw? He had 0 interceptions in the playoffs, following the team philosophy to not turn the ball over. Didn't make many plays? I think I was watching a different game.

One safety, two field goals, one rushing TD, two passing TDs, one kick off return, one interception pick 6, 5 points after. I think that would be the definition of a complete team effort.

Salmo_g, Brett Angel and Kent Lufkin like this.
  7. PT

PT Physhicist

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The writer must be from New York or Denver. Only rush four guys and still get to Manning. Well I guess it worked out for the boys.

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I think the Denver offensive line threw the game.... they betted against themselves in Vegas.

Say it ain't so, Joe... say it ain't so.

:)

10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Good assessment, in my opinion.

I think it is also worth noting that in this game (as in many games) the leading scorer was Steven Hauschka, the place kicker. He also was key in preventing kick-off returns, by putting the ball high and deep, giving the coverage time to converge on the ball deep in the Broncos' territory, or kicking it out of the end zone entirely, thus giving Seattle an edge in field position. He's one of the best in the biz, and will be a free agent this year.

D

11. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I agree. I thought Wilson played a helluva game. Geez, Charles, what more could you want than a 123 passer rating, 2 TDs and no INTs? With the beat down the Seahawk defense gave to the Donks, he did way more than was necessary. Who knows how much more he might have accomplished if the damn defense had let him spend a little more time on the field.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    They won because they have better players. They have better players because they have drafted very well and they have been able to go out and sign free agents to supplement the positions they have not addressed in the draft, particularly d-line and wideout. Their depth on the D-line was hugely important expecially since the Broncos were behind and had to throw.

My point was simply that the seahawks coaches didn't play any defenses much diffrent than the Pat's had 2 weeks earlier agains the same team. The differece was that the Seahawks had better players, and a lot of them.

As far as my chriticism (or percieved slight) of Wilson, watch the games people! He has some huge strengths, mobility, arm strength, leadership to name a few. The single most important thing he does is that he rarely turns over the ball.

He doesn't throw the ball on time much or throw anyone open. This isn't really debatable if your eyes work. He also doesn't turn it over....which is awesome.

As far as salary goes, my beloved Pat's went through the same thing during Brady's 1st couple years. It's a great position to be in to get quality QB play for next to nothing. Enjoy it. It will end some time as Wilson's contract comes up and he improves. At that point the game changes a bit, but if Schnieder continues to hit with his drafts the team will win. The days of signing 2 pass rushers in the off season will end though.

Go Sox,
    cds

Gary Knowels likes this.
  13. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Yes, both the Niners and hawks are greatly benefitting from the new rookie salary rules, but here is the real truth!

14. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Charles, I think your assessment of the difference between the Pats and the Hawks is fine. But I really don't get your emphasis on "throwing the ball on time," while at the same time acknowledging Wilson's low turnover rate. The difference between a ball thrown 'on time' (by which I presume you mean at the point that a play, as written up in the playbook, says the receiver should be in position) vs. one that is thrown late, when the receiver is open, often is an interception. The Legion of Boom prey on that "throwing the ball on time" training by many successful quarterbacks with noteworthy results.

In my opinion, a ball that is thrown 'on time' is one that is caught by the intended receiver, whether at the point drawn up in the playbook or not, or is lobbed out of play, before the quarterback is sacked. Wilson is better at both than most QBs in the league. It is a strength that the Seahawks rode all the way to a championship.

D

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I couldn't agree more about Hauschka. Letting him get away would be a serious mistake. Of course, there's bound to be some other kicker out there who's just as reliable but willing to work for less to get a spot on a championship team.

K