How to fish these conditions

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by golfman44, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I totally agree James W. a drift boat with 2 buddies can be an impediment. I fish alone generally and will float alone. It allows me all the little pieces that I would like.

Last year I floated with another board member on a heavily pressured river complete with guides and sleds. He is quite adept at finding little pieces. By the end of the week, I felt as though we had put together enough little pieces that I really looked forward to fishing the stretch we fished most this year.

Due to different conditions this year, I didn't, but I was able to fish a section where the fish were more prevalent and with many little pieces. It produced fish daily. More and more I have become convinced that exploring and finding smaller holding spots is the key on heavily pressured rivers. It's also a bit more interesting than the large bars, although there are some large bars that I'll always fish if open.

Go Sox,
    cds

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Hey Charles, Theo who......?

3. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

When encountering these types of conditions, the majority of my fish come out of pocket water and anything with bubbles on top obscuring their view up and your view down. I hate tips, so it'll be dry line with weighted marabou...if that fails, nymph it with the same fly. If that fails, move on & repeat...even doing this, I have a tendency to cover a ton of water simply because I work through the water pretty quickly.

4. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

yep, find new water, steelhead arent all in the same places. Found some top secret water this weekend on a well known extremely pushed water and found great success

5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

wouldn't fish at all.. drive somewhere else catching one more fish isn't worth the hassle of the crowds

6. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

Conditions:
    Gin clear water- bring some tonic
    Water temp low 40s - Good temperature for a cool drink, see above.
    Mid October Columbia trib - cannot compute
    Sunny as fuck -bananna boat
    Lots of pressure - Start talking to yourself in the lineup, end with a yelling match with yourself in the lineup.

KevinLS likes this.