Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

How to get little blond girls to love fishing

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  bobframe 
#1 ·
My 9 year old caught this tonight at our pond on McChord. Yeah its stocked but she doesn't cares. Measured 18 3/4 inches. Unfortunately we are not "allowed" to catch and release, not that it matters, I couldn't get her to put it down anyway.

#6 ·

Just have to get them out! Now she (my niece Hannah) even has her own fishing rod! Next year I'll build her a pink fly rod or pick up one of the new TFO kids rods! :thumb:

#7 ·
Yeah, thats Chloes new thing. She wants a fly rod so she can start fishing like Dad. She's pretty easy to take fishing. Baits her own hooks, casts really pretty. Damn near brings a tear to my eye. She's been fishing since she was 5 or 6, but now she is getting to the point she only needs me to help land em and get em off the hook.

#9 ·
I'm a failure...my daughter's first time was also her uncle's first as well...probably one hour to long in the boat. Uncle Mike had a blast since he got his first trout on the fly. However, Nena...she's not excited enough to want a second time. I need to find a stocked pond a.k.a a 'sure thing'.

#12 ·
Agreed. I have on of those 'little blonde girls' (but mine is just 6). I bought her one of this little pink push button Barbie rods a couple of years ago. She caught some little flounder on it first time we went out in the Sound. Little kelp greenling, black bass, and quill rockfish have since been caught, as well. She has a good time, and those little fish put a big bend in her rod. She got a little pink fly fishing vest for Christmas, and she was jacked! She pesters me about learning to tie flies, and I bought a 5' two piece 4 weight blank (doesn't that sound like a fun stick?!?!) to build for her. I haven't built a rod before, and I've been procrastinating . . . need to get it down for this spring/summer!

Thanks for sharing the pic of your daughter, RobGriz, and her great fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.