Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

How to write thank you card?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Robert Engleheart 
#1 ·
My wife gave birth to a child yesterday, this is my first son. I want to make a 'thank you card to express my deep love and gratitude to my dear wife, and thank all the friends who care about me. So can you give me some thank you card ideas? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I go to a place called "Packaging Specialties" and they have blank cards with matching envelopes that fit your standard 4 x 5 photographic print. I keep a few photos around to make cards with, but you can certainly make a custom image for almost any occasion. The cards will also fit through a printer for that "custom look" if your handwriting is crap.

#5 ·
Just tell her how much you appreciate what she's done, what a good mother she is and how you're glad you chose her to be with you on this path.
Congratulations on the new member. Here's something I stole off the internet, IIRC a guide in Idaho wrote it; one of those that makes you think "that's exactly how I feel".

"Dear Jack,

Merry Christmas. I know this being your first Christmas you are a little young for this, but some day you'll read this or will have had this read to you. Since you've come into this world it hasn't taken me long to realize that you will probably teach me more about myself, and life, than I might ever teach you. But I have one gift that I would like to give to you. I think this is probably the best gift that I can pass on, which is why I want you to have it.

Right outside your door Jack is this big beautiful wild exciting world full of mountains, rivers, woods, marshes, canyons, swamps and creeks and they are crawling with things to explore. The list of creatures, sights, sounds and dramas that will unfold right before your eyes are endless. And it is all right beyond your backyard waiting for you, if you go.

I know this world today is full of distractions that might seem more real, glitzy and exciting, but there is more imagination, creativity and adventure to be found outside than living someone else's false reality. All caught up inside of video games and some cyber Internet world. Instead of sitting inside trying to discover a made up world in a computer, there is more fascinating events unfolding in the real world, in nature every second. If you take the time to go look for it, it is all there.

Go wonder and explore the woods. Use your own mind and let your imaginations and dreams guide you. Build forts and tree houses. Catch crayfish in the creek. Follow animal tracks. Find snakes. Watch a hawk soar. Find shapes in the clouds. Play Tarzan or pirates or what ever you want. Go by your self and choose your own path or take a gang of buddies and lose yourselves for the day exploring what is over the next hill. There will always be another hill to keep exploring. Bike, hike, climb, run, hunt, fish, trap, observe, study, learn, swim, jump, paddle, ski, snowshoe, swing….just do it all son. Whatever suits you; just take the time to enjoy the wildness and the spectacular scenery and places that there are.

I hope for your sake that when you are old enough there are still plenty of wild canyons and rivers to float and explore. Camp with your buddies, laugh under the stars. Go to sleep with the last sight of the day a shooting star by a sliver of a moon under a starry sage smelling desert sky. I hope there is still plenty of wild steelhead to make you realize that standing in the rain and cold is fun. They are the embodiment of a river itself. Liquid power turned to flesh and I hope you get to feel that in your hands. I hope you take the time to see the sunrise over a marsh and watch and listen to the sounds and sights of waterfowl making their epic migrations. The flight of teal and pintail would make any fighter pilot blush. Our technology has nothing on their acrobatics and grace. I hope there are tons of wild trout sipping mayflies to test your patience and presentation. And when you crack the code and the 20incher rises without hesitation, you'll know what it is all about. The point is son, the list of sights, sounds, smells and things to doe see are endless. They will surprise and startle you, some might even scare you, but you have to go outside and be a part of it.

I have spent my life trying to be out there every chance I could get. Even though I have spent most of it out there, I wish I could've spent more. I'm not telling you all this because I necessarily want you to follow in my footsteps, it's just that I know how much wonderment and amazing things are out in that wild world where the pavement ends. It would break my heart to think that you would never have that opportunity. So that is my gift, I encourage you to go outside, open up your mind and creativity and enjoy it all. Be a student of the natural world. I know it has made me really happy and is a ball. So go on your own adventures, and if you are really lucky you'll have a couple good dogs to tag along with you. I know I'll try and keep up with you if you want company. I do hope you go explore and play in the outdoors and have your own adventures. Maybe even do something that I never did, like hear a wolf howl. Boy that would be amazing, it is out there. Who knows maybe we'll hear it together, I sure hope so. Merry Christmas Jack now go see what is past the backyard.

Love,

Dad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.