Huge Mistake

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Todd Burt, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Todd Burt

Todd Burt New Member

Thanks for the words SpeySpaz

2. Todd Burt

Todd Burt New Member

Thanks for having my back Big Tuna...I'm still learning much about pursuing Steelhead via the Spey Way. From my perspective, I'm putting a puzzle together and I may never complete it. The allure of chasing Steelhead is what keeps my drive forward.

BTW-Just for the record I had 2 legitimate Steel grabs, and one more that may have been a Dolly. The first was the day prior at Minnie. I was swinging low and slow into the Steel zone and two quick pulls... attempted to set the hook riverside..headshake..(felt so cool) and he or she was gone.

I don't feel bad about this grab. I idid everthing correctly in terms of setting the hook....It just didn't set. My hook was out of the junction connector as well. Not sure, but I'm not sweatin that grab.

3. Todd Burt

Todd Burt New Member

Thanks for the words doctash. I had my Simms fingerless gloves on. I was deliberate placing the line on the fabaric, but DID'NT give it a test tug. I pulled the fabaric down over my second joint of index finger. I was attempting to air out my fingers as well and only had my index finger(between the index finger joints-Not a good spot) pinching down on the cork. I've been persistant with pinching/holding the line with my index finger and back over the ring finger, like you mentioned above. Just not on the swing that counted.

Marching forward.

T.

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    A pull there, if your sure it was steel counts as positive reinforcement. Try to recount the things you did correct.

Check and sharpen your hook.

Go Sox,
    cds

5. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Live and learn! Even the ones we miss are worth it.

6. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    We often fixate on what we have done wrong or should have done because of the sometimes vast amount of time between encounters with steelhead. Even with more years experience I think we all still do it. I do it all the time and still do not learn from the lessons I go over year after year. Sharpen hooks, tie a new knot, less mending, more mending, more pressure on the fish, less pressure on the fish, etc. You have to look at each experience as a learning lesson. Remember you were doing a lot of things right that got you with that brief hookup. The experience of bringing it all together is the fun part. Three days on the Hoh, awesome!

Take Chromeseeker's words lightly, he drives many miles for skunks too :)!

7. bconrad

bconrad Active Member

The tug can be the best and the worst feeling in steelheading, it just depends on which side you come out on :) I've spent plenty of time obsessing about what I did wrong when I miss a fish, but the more I fish the more I think it's all just blind luck sometimes. Assuming, of course, that your hook is sharp.

8. Todd Burt

Todd Burt New Member

Thanks for the word bconrad. Yes indeed, I sharpened my hook and it was tacky on my thumbnail a few swings prior. I had my fly swimming nicely and didn't have any rock ticks, and or bumbs prior to my Pull/Tug swing.

9. Todd Burt

Todd Burt New Member

Thanks for the words Steelie Mike. I agree, striving to put it all together.

10. Todd Burt

Todd Burt New Member

Totally worth it> Thanks.

11. Todd Burt

Todd Burt New Member

No doubt in my head that it was Steel. My good buddy just told me:

"Sometimes a rock feels like a Steelhead, but a Steelhead never feels like a rock".

OCJR2

12. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Sometimes the fish wins. If they didn't, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun when you do.

13. attack

attack Active Member

you want to feel better? i just returned from 7 days on the hoh from michigan...fished sunup to sundown every day...hour 55 of my 60 on the river, i get rocked set hard and to the shore, couple head shakes and then the fish rolls and turns and the hook pulls...giant buck at least 20lbs...what i came all that way for....only hookup all week...oh ive been playing this game for quite a while too so my confidence in my abilities is normally pretty high...although it is not at the moment...

14. ThnkMcfly

ThnkMcfly Member

Home Page:
    This is always a painful event. But you still found a fish and that is the goal. The OP seems to always produce between 1-3 fish during a 3 day trip like you describe, that has always been my experience so don't sweat it. Sometimes you land them all, sometimes not. If there is one thing I have learned about keeping steelhead on the end of my line is to make sure I always use the sharpest hooks, already pointed out many, many times, and I also find myself never setting the hook hard like described above. I have had fish take off and never look back, and fish that seemed to be nothing more than a rock. In both instances I wait out the hook set as long as possible and then just raise the rod and create tension. It was hard to do this coming from a trout fishing background, but waiting and waiting even sometimes longer than you feel comfortable with has always given me a reliable hook set and kept me in connection with the metalhead longer and more confidently than when I used to set the hook hard.

15. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

my trout reflexes have screwed the pooch more than once for me.
    And before that, gear drifting reflexes... now we're going back 20 years.
    I always try to have a relaxed grip on the rod, with my downstream shoulder more towards shore, and whether holding the rod high or low, I'll usually know it's a steelhead.
    When a swinging line stops in an unobstructed run, what else could it be, right? So now I let the line come tight and unhurriedly lift the rod against tension, toward shore. A sharp hook does the rest.

The hookup isn't that hard, once you get used to the 50% factor...it's keeping them hooked afterwards that can get tricky!:rofl:
    I rarely change angle, etc with steelhead. I just keep the rod at 45 degrees, let them fight the butt, and look for solid places to stand and land.