Hunting tent suggestions..

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Kyle Escamilla, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Kyle Escamilla

Kyle Escamilla Active Member

So last year camping on the OP was miserable both times. Apparently they don't call it the rain forest for nothing. I'm looking to buy one of the industrial stove style tents. Anyone have any suggestions? A quick search came up with these. http://www.montanacanvas.com/products/10oz-wall-tent

Cabela's also has some sweet looking ones but I'm afraid they will fall apart and leak like a sieve.

2. Kyle Escamilla

Or I could get a cheap pop up trailer, use it as a flat bad and put my super puma on top of that. Probably would hold up though

3. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I spend 8 - 12 weeks each year in a wall tent in all kinds of weather from dry, to pouring down rain, to blizzard conditions. I have a wall tent with a wood stove. If you take care of them and especially if you use a rain fly, they don't leak. I've been in mine in minus 25 F conditions and kept the inside temps in the 60s.

Much of it will depend on how many guys you'll put in it at one time. Once you set up a kitchen, sleeping cots, and hunting gear, it can get pretty crowded very fast. I know lots of guys who buy a wall tent and stove etc as a group.

An internal frame is really nice, but you can build a frame out of lodge pole pretty easily. In the camps I cook in, they cut frames for the tents and leave them at the campsite.

I don't sell wall tents, but I've been using them for hunting and fishing since the 1950s. Feel free to ask any questions. I have all sorts of photos too.

Trapper

4. 2506

2506 Active Member

5. Kyle Escamilla

Do you own one of there tents? Is Vapex superior then all the other tent materials out there?

6. Kyle Escamilla

Thanks Trapper... I think Im just going to go with a local shop that sells and makes them. Then make a frame for it.It will end up being for myself and maybe one other.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    If you do buy a Montana tent, you hit a good time. They make a super sale price on them at the Portland Sportsman Show.

8. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Dont make an impulse purchase. I would hate to see it in the classifieds. ;)

9. Kyle Escamilla

Ok thanks.

10. Kyle Escamilla

So I wonder if they will have this same sale at the Puyallup Sportsman Show this month. Any idea how much cheaper they are at the show?

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Usually when I'm at the shows, I'm there with Camp Chef and stay with their booth. At the Portland show the Montana booth is right across from our booth. I've wanted another wall tent (grew up using them) for my longer camps. When i was there two years ago i believe the 12x16 was $600 and tossed in a few extras. But was at the show only. I do know the tent they had was a $900 tent on their website with all the extras included. Again that was at least 2 years ago.

12. Kyle Escamilla

Well hopefully they're there

13. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    I spent a rainy summer in north Idaho living in two wall tents with four other guys. One tent was the sleeping tent, the other was the kitchen, dinning room and work tent. We covered the tents with black plastic. Worked great. Even covered the walkway between the two tents.

I would rather spend a rainy summer in those two tents than my tent trailer.

14. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

For an inexpensive interior frame use 1" and 1 1/4" emt conduit. We have done this for years. A center ridge section and two sidewall sections. Our pcs are no longer than the width of a pickup bodies width. The 1" always extends into the 1 1/4" by at least 2 feet(on the horizontal center ridge). The stops for the splices are sheetmetal screws. We use a hand conduit bender to form the 90 degree corners and always keep those formed onto an upright. Then we color code with spray paint. This system drawback is at upright at the door, but it packs much better than the expensive interior frames.

That was the short of it.

15. Kyle Escamilla

Yea I used to be a commercial electrician. I know all about emt and bending with it. I did the rear portion of my raft frame with it. I also used to do auto upholstery so making the canvas tent canopy wouldn't be an issue. But as I am getting older I am finding out that time time is money. Certain things I don't mind making but something like this I will just buy the real deal one time and one time only. Ill buy the angle pieces and canvas and sbuy 10' sections of emt and cut them to size