Hunting tent suggestions..

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Kyle Escamilla, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Kyle Escamilla

Kyle Escamilla Active Member

What do you guys use for light in your tents? Is a lantern ok or dangerous? Do you just leave the door opened?

2. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    We use Coleman lanterns.

Wall tents are anything but air tight. I'm also using at least one 2 or 3 burner propane stoves. At the ridge there's a hole for the ridge pole. That alone will vent most fumes and gases.

Trapper

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  3. Kyle Escamilla

Here she is. 14x16. $800 for the tent and another $130 for the EMT. Put it up by myself in about 30 min. Have some minor tweaking to do.I was in a hurry due to running out of light. Still need to get a stove which I wish I got at the show also. Throughout the week I will be mocking the inside up with a kitchen and sleeping area to prep for the OP in a few weeks. May even cook a dinner in it with a stove to test her out. Can't wait!!

Attached Files:

4. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    Great looking tent!

Two things you may want to do.

1. With the tent off but the frame still standing, color code the EMT connections to the angles. It'll make setting it up much easier next time.

2. With the tent up, spray it with a water sealer.

Trapper

5. Kyle Escamilla

Thanks Trapper. Yesterday before I put it up I took three different colors of electrical tape I.D. the conduit. Then marked the diagram sheet with the colors. I am looking into something now that im gonna spray it with

6. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

How much more would a door option have been?;)
    Seriously, nice looking tent at a good price. What brand, model and options did you end up going with?
    I've been kicking the idea around myself and appreciate your questions and the answers.

7. Kyle Escamilla

Damnit! I already burnt a 4inch hole In it

8. Kyle Escamilla

Its from Davis tent and awning. Great deal but am kinda concerned how easily a ember put a 4" hole in it

9. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Well, Davis may sell you a patch for cheap, or at least have repair advice.

If not I'd visit http://www.seattlefabrics.com/ just North of Greenlake on 99. They sell Nikwax waterproofing agent (I'm assuming they'll have something for you, though I'd PM Trapper B. and follow his advice on waterproofing before I spent my money)

but they'll also have duck material (Davis uses a 10oz. I believe) or Cordura for you to repair with. I'd search out a remnant piece, which they nearly always have, so I didn't have to buy a 1/4 yard at a shot.

That an Awl, and a spool of appropriate thread, and you'll be able to repair that yourself. There' will be directions on the awl package as to what/how you should stitch.

10. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
    A 4" hole from an ember. Wow, that's unusual. How far above your tent is the top of the chimney? It should be at least 6 feet. What are you using to start your stove? Can you post a few photos of the stove and chimney inside the tent and then the chimney outside the tent?

If you get some extra canvas, there are a number of glues out there that work well with canvas. Just patch it like you would your waders.

Trapper

11. Kyle Escamilla

It is a 8' stove pipe so I would say it is about 6 feet. I was using cardboard along with some very dry and thin lath type wood stuff. I have a a feeling it was a the paper though. Will post pics when I get home from work.

12. Trapper Badovinac

Home Page:
  13. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Kyle,
    Really sorry to hear about your mishap.
    I guess from the glass half full side it's better that it happened now rather than while you were sleeping in the tent.
    Years ago, I had a white gas lantern hung in a canvas tent that flamed out. I got it outside without burning the tent down
    but definitely some tense moments that I'll never forget as I had my wife and 2 kids in there asleep.

I really like the idea of a wood stove in a tent but would definitely want everything set up right, inside clearance to the wall,
    floor, and other combustibles, chimney height and stabilization in wind, chimney spark arrestor/cap, etc.
    As Trapper said a few pics of your setup would help.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get years of enjoyment out of it.

14. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

I was going to ask about paper. Sounds like the cardboard was likely the culprit as it
    can float in the air glowing a long time.

15. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

When I first saw the thread, I figured it was a tent for backpacking into the High hunt. Boy, was I wrong! I'd really love a wall tent, but not on my back. Besides, it's nice to have one that will do double duty as a tent I can hunt out of, and something for general backpacking. And since I'm now able to return to some low-altitude mountaineering (Rainier, for example), I also needed a tent that'll withstand some serious wind and snow. We've settled on Hilleberg, a Nammatj3, and probably an Akto single. I can use the Akto for the high hunt.