I am getting ready to go to Montana

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Canedawg, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Canedawg

Canedawg Member

That is a nice thing about having two brothers in Missoula. I have three days to fish. I plan on hitting the Bitteroot above Hamilton, the Blackfoot at two spots above Clearwater Junction. As for the last day I am torn. I was thinking of fishing Rock Creek, but also maybe hitting the Clark Fork above Rock Creek. If anyone has been there recently, and has any suugestions/recomendations please let me know .Thanks Mark.

2. IrishFishinGuy

IrishFishinGuy New Member

Here's what I got for Rock Creek from http://www.anglerguide.com/index.cfm?TR_ID=92 on July 30. Hope this helps,

IFG <(()><

Fishing Conditions : Good
    Report by: Rock Creek Mercantile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Remarks: Fishing continues to be good. Conditions are almost ideal. Flows are high enough that the fish aren't in any danger, water temperatures are staying within acceptable ranges and air temperatures are also reasonable, mostly in the 80s. We continue to have good caddis and PMD fishing, morning and evening and there are more and more hoppers every day. These hoppers are about a size 10 so smaller to mid size dries work best. They also have tan bodies so tan colored imitations will work best. Princes, Hares Ears, PTs, Copper Johns and, of course, the dreaded San Juan Worm are the hot nymphs. Don't forget the size 10 to 12 red attractor dries just before dark. We still don't have anybody fishing. All I can say is that people are missing a good thing. So take advantage of the the chance for good fishing in relative privacy. More tomorrow.

Hatches:
    PMD's
    Caddis

Patterns:
    Princes
    Hares Ears
    PT's
    Copper Johns
    Tan Hoppers size 10
    San Juan Worm

Fish Species:
    Brooks
    Browns
    Rainbow
    Cutthroat
    Whitefish

3. mtp1032

mtp1032 New Member

What a coincidence! I, and another friend, are leaving for Montana at 3:00 AM Sunday morning. Gonna fish Rock Creek Sunday PM, and then again all day Monday, but with a guide. Tuesday is up in the air, but if we hit gold on Monday, we'll probably fish Rock Creek again. The upper Clark Fork or the little Blackfoot are alternatives that have also been recommended to me. We'll see.

We'll be staying at the Rock Creek Mercantile (1 800 580 9703). Give us a call if you want to hook up and swap lies :LOVEIT

Good luck to you.

Michael