I found a DEAD (HUMAN) BODY at the Puyallup today.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by South Sound, Oct 12, 2008.

1. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

may i ask what portion of the puyallup river in sumner it was... I fished about a mile long portion of the river between the sumner orting highway bridge and mama stortini's (Main Street) from about 330-530pm... just wondering if I fished the same area yesterday. There are many homeless camps and tents in the woods along many areas in sumner...and I have always anticipated finding something like that in these areas.

2. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I worked as a medic for 7 1/2 years. I saw so much in that time. The ones I had the hardest time getting over was the gunshot wounds and really bad auto accidents. I develop quite dislike for people who drink and drive. Drinking and driving don't mix!

Anyway, who was the guy and was the death a homicide, suicide or accidental? Any particulars, sometimes knowing the reason and why helps work through the situation.

Keith

3. wolverine

wolverine Member

I wasa Navy Seabee in Vitnam in 1966. We were building a hard roof hospital to replace tents for the Marines north of Danang. I soon learned to dread seeing helicopters coming in with their lights on as that meant wounded on board. One day it was a steady stream of choppers coming in and we (Seabees) were pressed into service as litter bearers. We were heading back to the landing pad when a litter crew coming towards us slipped and dropped a wounded marine. The marine had a terrible abdomen wound and they had strapped his hands across his stomach to hold his intestines in. When he hit the ground his intestines spilled out into the dirt. I don't know if if the kid made it thru or not. All I can still see is a blond haired kid that looked to be way too young to be there laying in the dirt with his guts on the ground. A lot of us non combatants grew up during the next month as we built out the base. War is not pretty when you see its aftermath in the wounded, dead, and dying. I always laugh at whiny internet fishermen who don't have a clue about what really happens in rhe real world.

4. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

$hit!!! that would be wild!!

5. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

man, this is one hell of a thread.
    A lot of things I've seen and done spring to mind; death, blood and near misses. My own blood and that of others, some innocent and some not.
    Thanks, South Sound, for starting a kickass thread and for sharing your experience.
    What for the future? Well, every time you close your eyes for awhile the image will pop up on the screen, and it may get intrusive at times. For most people, this will pass but there's an uncomfortable transition period. Which is why you talk to people you trust and seek professional help if the symptoms become intrusive, if you begin losing sleep or decompensating in ways like booze, drugs, etc.
    Lots of guys who post in these pages have seen some real shit and for that reason have values that lead them into fishing... because they know how short and fragile our lives really are, and not in a philosophical way.
    Sounds like a good reason to go wet a line.:beer2:

My regards and deepest respect going out to the veterans, EMTs etc who posted on this.

6. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

In the early '70's my cousin and I were fishing at Pineview Reservoir in Utah and found a partially submerged body, turned out to be a drowning victim they had never found. It really freaked us both out for a long time. PTSD was in it's infancy as a diagnosis back then, but the nightmares we both had went away after awhile. Point being don't think this won't affect you on some level, talking to someone is a good idea.

7. South Sound

South Sound Member

I parked down river from the Old Cannery and walked in. I am not familiar with the river. I am told the guy was behind Safeway on the other side and near the new condos, if that helps. There is a bridge further down river I believe.

8. WT

WT Active Member

On the other hand, if it doesn't affect you that's okay too.
    Have good fishing,
    WT

9. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

ok gotcha i know that stretch... i was up river from there about 3/4 mile... you were just downstream of the confluence of the white and puyallup rivers.

10. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Home Page:
    That doesn't sound like much fun. When i was a kid sixteen or so I used to ride medic one out of harborveiw with my old man and I saw some gnarly sh*t. The body that haunts my mind still today was not seen riding the rig but was the open casket viewing of my friend Jeff Starr that was shot in Iraq. I needed to go say good bye to him but that picture is burned in my subconscious to this day. Death is never easy and is always someones loss.

11. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I think the reason a corpse is so haunting is because somwhere deep in your subconscious, you see yourself as a dead body. The fact that you will be a corpse someday is an inevitability and that is a hard thing to accept and be alright with no matter what you believe.

I know I have a hard time believing I will die, it is a lot easier to not seriously consider it.

12. kosel80

kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Being as this thread is shifting to people who have seen some difficult things I thought I would drop this link for those that would like to help vets get into fly fishing as a therapy.
    http://www.projecthealingwaters.org/ This group takes vets out fly fishing and gets them started tying. Very worthwhile.

13. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Remind me never to go fishing with you.... Did you see them die or see them dead?

14. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    death sucks period! when i was in iraq last year i dealt with dead people on occassion and put a couple into body bags. death creeps me the f*@k out!

15. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

When I was about 8 I was walking with my family down the American River in Sacramento. We came around a thicket of trees that were on the side of the river and there is a guy laying on his back, blood coming out of his mouth and he is slipping into the river. My dad grabbed him by the belt and pulled him out, no pulse, started doing CPR. I volunteered to run off and call the ambulance, didn't really want to stay around for that. I'm not sure if the guy made it or not, probably not. A few months later my parents were going out to run some errands. I decided to stay home, although I usually would have gone. It took them several hours to get home, and when they did it turns out they were right behind a pick up truck with some teenagers in the back. One of the girls stood up, and fell right out of the truck onto the pavement. She didn't make it and it was supposedly a pretty gruseome scene. I have a big fear of finding a dead body while I'm out fishing...