I give you....JigTruderBead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Randall Clark, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

That thing is crazy but I bet it catch's fish. That's why I don't post my ties people would laugh.

2. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

yeah, because spending the small amount of time it took to tie that thing is more than likely considerably less time than some folks spend trying to think of clever things to post on an internet forum.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    We've been tying these for awhile. Usually a longer trailer hook.

4. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

Not enough beads yet. You are getting there though.

5. Randall Clark

I'd work on another one, but don't really want to waste time tying up something just for a random internet thread. ;)

Besides, I need those beads to peg for an upcoming trip to stick some salmon and dust some chromers on my fly pole.

Irafly and CLO like this.
  6. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

Great thread, maybe you will find some more time to tie up more of these monstrosities. But seriously, you should mail me a couple of these: [​IMG]

7. Randall Clark

I actually did tie up a couple additional ones to throw in the steelhead box. I don't have very many of those beads though...tried fishing pegged beads a time or two but didn't really like it (despite the success).

In all honesty, I nymph a lot, but I'm also always trying to tie shit up that will nymph and swing equally effective so that all I have to do when I encounter more wide open water is take off the indi, if I have one on and swing away. Even when I fish that water, it's covered with both tactics...dead drift to get the fly down then slow swing while I'm slowly walking downstream several steps (helps keep the fly down). That fly above that was originally tied up as a joke will actually fish very well for both of those methods. I took 'er out for a spin last weekend and it swims really well with lots of movement and casts very easily...can't really ask for more in a steelhead fly...well, and an easy tie (probably not long enough nor does it have enough materials for all of the "purists" that appear to be around).

In all seriousness, if you do want several, PM me your address and we can have our own two person fly swap.

Irafly likes this.
  8. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

No one is going to comment on Derek's masterpiece?!

I don't mean to "hi-jack a thread," but that there is a fly that I can get behind!

9. Randall Clark

so now we have to do more than just "like" something to avoid any hurt feelings? ;)

10. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Derek Day said:
    I refuse to tie any of that new-agey crap. Only the most traditional for me. View attachment 35362
    No one is going to comment on Derek's masterpiece?!

I don't mean to "hi-jack a thread," but that there is a fly that I can get behind!
    Jason Chadick, Yesterday at 5:30 PM Report
    HOW'S IT SWIM...or does it just spin??

11. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

When I was living in Neah Bay I was also really into finding the "one" fly that could do it all. I really like to swing flies but there was a lot of great water in those creeks out there that just wasn't swing water. I'd try to swing it anyway because I'm stubborn. But after a few months I started trying to find a fly that would do both so I wouldn't have to travel so far between holes.

Enter Greg Colfax, one of the most impressive people I have ever met. He loved fishing for steelhead; gear, fly, spoon, bait, he just loved it, and his knowledge of local cedar-creek steelhead was a life's worth. Anyway, I met him on the Sooes one day and he showed me a fly that he likes to cast on both his gear and his fly-rod. He called it the "Nightmare", which I believe is a popular steelhead jig. His version was more "fly-like", despite being on a jig hook, and was ridiculously colorful: Pink chenille body, with a tuft of calf hair behind the brass eyes at the head of the jig hook, and the tail was blue steelie ice dub underneath a short black rabbit strip. He gave me a couple, and I've tied more since then. I will post a picture as soon as I find one around the house. Cool fly with some local lore behind it, definitely put a couple steelhead on the bank for me last season.

12. T Dave

T Dave Member

Lol That has got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen come out of a vise

Salmo_g likes this.