Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I need an anvil

T 
2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Jeff Dodd 
#1 ·
I know this is a long shot...but I've started smithing with a small forge set up and I've quickly realized my little 15# anvil isn't going to get me far. Before I start scrounging for some ibeam or railroad track, I thought I'd toss up a request here.

Someone somewhere has an old anvil sitting in the garage or barn collecting rust. I'd be happy to take it off your hands in exchange for fly fishing gear from my arsenal. PM me if interested.

#5 ·
Anvils are not each to come by and generally go for at least a dollar a pound. Good luck!

GBeeman
If I could get one for just a dollar a pound I'd be all over it :) Part of the problem is all the antique stores buy them off estates and upcharge significantly, not realizing that when someone buys an anvil made in the 1800's, they're buying it to beat on, not stare at!

Definitely a long shot, but worth checking.

#12 ·
Thanks for considering it Bitterroot. I'll throw in a back rub if you go for it :)

Keith I've checked out the NBAA board--there are a lot of local blacksmiths in Longview that are active there and if I'm unable to obtain one elsewise, I'll save up and get a used one from the NBAA forums. It's typical to sell to other smiths for around $2 a pound which is doable at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.