I need better Marabou..

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by PatrickH, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Alright tails down...now work on the hackles:)

2. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Yeah, I need a softer all black hackle, but not sure what that would be? This 2 tone Bugger Pack is annoying me..

3. PT

PT Physhicist

You can open the material bags at Ted's to find the string you want. I'm guessing you have plenty of good material right there in the stuff you already own. Not every feather is going to be tying material. And, sometimes I use parts of certain feather that will make the perfect tail. It's not always just the tip section of a feather that has perfect properties for a bugger tail. One of the reasons I didn't like shopping at Swede's was because his materials were packaged in a way that you couldn't inspect them. And, if you did, he wasn't a real happy man.

You're also going to have to fish them a bunch to find out which the trout like best. My idea what a perfect tail is can be different from what the fish have in mind.

Not an example of the perfect tail, just a suggestion about using the material.

m1.JPG m2.JPG

4. PT

PT Physhicist

As for the hackle on your bugger. Don't always tie it in by the tip. Sometimes you have to start farther up the feather so you get more of the webby fibers as you're palmering it on.

h.JPG

5. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Thank you for the pictures. That was my biggest issues with the hackle I been using is that it's way too stiff and more like dry fly hackle. I will try what you posted by not tying in the stiff tip barbs and tying in farther down where it's softer.
    With the marabou, I been using all the side feathers lately to get more of a soft flowing tail. Harder to find good tips then it is finding good side feathers. Longer marabou feathers seem to be working better for this. The "woolly bugger marabou" is just too short for a nice long tail.
    I will tie some more with the suggestions you posted, thanks :)

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Sometimes I'll snip the inner tip off the marabou plume if it's too rigid. Allows the softer side fibers to form the tail rather than the rigid part of some of those plumes.

Edit: I almost never use more than 1 plume on a bugger. Leeches and most organisms are pretty slender critters. Most taper down toward the tail so buggers shouldn't be any different.

PatrickH likes this.
  7. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Yeah I been doing that on some also. Cabela's marabou is so bad you can't get a good tail from any of the feather tips.
    Sometimes I trim down the sides, hold my breath :eek: while I lay them out on the table and use the whole feather.

gormaci likes this.
  8. Northwestsalmon

Northwestsalmon New Member

Hey Patrick the answer you want to your question is pretty easy. Yes there are techniques to using material that will increase the look of the material but ultimately if you just want a marabou that you can clump in and tie a tail like that you need to look for SPEY marabou. Spey is the key the plumes are way longer and fuller then your average blood quil. Hope this helps

Alpine4x4 and PatrickH like this.
  9. PatrickH

PatrickH Active Member

Yes that does help, thank you. :)

gormaci likes this.
  10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Here's some example tails using Jay Fair marabou.
    Bugger_circle.JPG

11. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Am I the only one that has moved from marabou to rabbit for bugger style tails?

12. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Yes. ;)

13. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Am I the only one that has moved from marabou to rabbit for bugger style tails?

Nope, smallie flies are tied like you mentioned...they last a bit longer when being chewed often.

14. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

I've also had good luck with the Jay Fair Premium marabou. It is hard to find locally however. I believe Cabela's in Lacey carried it at one time, but I can't give a recent report on that. As mentioned above, Fish Hunter is good stuff too.

15. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Excellent thread. Been tying a lot of big streamers lately and they eat up marabou like nothing else. Never thought much about the quality or cost until I used a whole package tying three flies! Here's me going through a package trying to find a feather to palmer a tail- "Nope, won't work. Nope, won't work. Nope, won't work. Nope, won't work. Uhhhhh, maybe. Nope, won't work. Nope, won't work. There's a good one! Nope, won't work….."

triploidjunkie likes this.