Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

I Need to Improve My Fish Handling

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  hbmcc 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I appreciate you taking my advice and not only using this as a opportunity to learn but then sharing that with others. Pretty cool.

As far as my comments I want to publicly apologize. The internet and in particular this site, should not be a place for any negativity. Rather it should be a safe haven for anyone needing or looking for positive reinforcement. Just in my short time here, it is amazing how everyone has completely accepted me. Like you, I guess I am special.

Your videos are fantastic and it is hard to believe you are an amateur. You have such a unique perspective and I really look forward to seeing more of your work. Great job!!!!

Your friend in the fight against the meanies,

Swimmy

#3 · (Edited)
To answer your question, how to land large fish properly...

The first step is to make landing and releasing the fish paramount. When filming everything is the first priority everything else becomes secondary and things get compromised. Face it, the fish handling in that video was brutal. If you, or the people on the trip don't have a lot of experience landing these fish, put the camera down and help get the job done. The person filming should have tailed the fish in shin/knee deep water and not been dragging them up on the rocks. Barbless hooks will make releasing fish easier as well. As you get more experience you'll figure out how to better get it done. It's fine, those fish likely lived but it's a terrible example to set for others. People who don't know any better watch and think that's the way it should be done.

RE freestone/triploidjunkie responses: What can I say. They have low tolerance for jackassery, you may have not realized it when you made the video, but due to the fish handling it falls into that category.

Quit being passive aggressive and just own the mistakes. If you think the people here at WFF were rude, I invite you to post your link to any fly fishing forum and see what kind of response you get.

Outside of the fish handling, I thought the video was otherwise well done. Thanks for not playing terrible music.

#4 ·
I think the video was great. So what a couple fish get abused so awesome footage is gathered. The important thing is we learn from our mistakes and keep things 110% positive. They're just steelhead on their way to spawn and likely die anyway, video and memories are forever. Good work.

#6 ·
What made you think editing an 18 minute video of this was a good idea? I dont think your cinemetography skills suck, but your subject matter / plot material is garbage.

were you home schooled growing up?

As peyton stated nice rebuttle you cleverly backtrolled us all

#13 ·
The first 7 seconds of that video totally cracks me up. I really like how dude is working on his computer before turning to the camera and proceeding with a proper introduction. Even my girlfriend thought that was funny. Nice work.

I also like his expressions when he's watching his own video. You can tell he is totally impressed by his work.

Reminds me of a conversation I once read..."I just read the best script ever written." "Oh yeah, who wrote it?" "Me". - Steven Seagull

But even more I like his description of the video: "In this video I confess to sub-par fish handling techniques. My deficiencies were brought to my attention by certain members of the Washington Fly Fishing Forum in a way that really showed their true colors as human beings."

You can't make this shit up. Great job Theronn!!

#14 ·
My 2 cents: If you are, "All in for fishing" for the last five years or three years or whatever you would think you'd be looking at any forums, reading magazines, books, etc that you could get your hands on, and have seen multiple threads, articles, and chapters on fish handling. Seems like Salmon and Steelhead Journal has an article on it every year. But that's just like, my opinion, man.

#20 ·
Uh oh, this dude called out freestone. Somebody sound the trumpets the white knights are coming!!!!!!!

In all seriousness to the OP, people here are just dicks, myself included. At the end of the day freestone and triploid got to be a dick to you, and because of it you learned how to handle fish. Everybody wins. Keep making videos and keep roping chromers bro

#21 ·
Uh oh, this dude called out freestone. Somebody sound the trumpets the white knights are coming!!!!!!!

In all seriousness to the OP, people here are just dicks, myself included. At the end of the day freestone and triploid got to be a dick to you, and because of it you learned how to handle fish. Everybody wins. Keep making videos and keep roping chromers bro
Very well put. My thoughts exactly.

#24 ·
Holy shit, chromers vs swimmy. Sounds like a wwe internet paperview.

chromers is one of my internet heroes. Some of the shit that comes off his keyboard is pure gold. He is clearly the favorite but I would just be honored to be in the ring with him.

And for the record, the OP should be flattered about the members who have posted itt. This is pretty much the kool-kid club and a gathering of several of my favorite posters on this board.

#25 · (Edited)
Therron reminds me of me about 40 years ago: Is it neo-hippy? Or, was that just yesterday? You could call me Rip Van Winkle and only miss by a few optimistic years. Oh, and I skipped through a few minutes of Vimeo, too.

I recently waded back in, post-Neanderthal age, hurting about releasing dinner, breakfast, and lunch, and-til'-I'm-sick-leftovers. I caught my first salmonid in 30 years yesterday. We managed to stuff a few logs, er... lunkers into a 'trouter' (Is that what he called it?) net to watch and revive before releasing.

Fully embracing my new stewardship life, I was stunned by how quickly one of those water babies can go into shock. I will never laugh at aquariums on the River again. Next time, leave the beer at your dorm, kid.

Carry on, Kool Dudes and Gals. And slap away; because a sledge hammer is my prefered educator.

Signed: Non-Kool Kid .... And, don't give a d**n.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.