Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

I want to do some fly fishing photography...

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  jasmillo 
#1 ·
I am a professional photographer. I have done virtually nothing else since college. I spent 5-6 years shooting extreme sports for magazines and companies like ESPN. Recently I have spent the past few years doing wedding photography (got tired of the travel involved with editorial photography). Currently I am also an editor, writer, and administrator at photo.net, a huge photography education website. You can see some of my images here:

http://www.photo.net/photos/joshroot

In any case, I have gotten the itch to see if I can come up with some good flyfishing photos. I'm not really that interested in trying to make money off of it, though I suppose anything is possible. But rather, I need a new challenge. Shooting flyfishing photos lets me pull together for two things I love.

So here's the deal, I'd like to find a few people to tag along with on some fishing adventures. You would give me some space in your car/boat/etc, I would shoot some photos (and fish a little) . You would get some cool images of you fishing, I get to overcome a new photographic challenge.

For obvious reasons, I am more interested in moving water than still water. It's a lot easier to walk 40-50 feet down a gravel bar than it is to have someone drop me off on the shore of a lake just so they can paddle back out for a photos. But I guess anything is possible.

I am easygoing, fairly good company, and don't smell to horribly badly. Plus, I am happy to buy the round of beers when it is my turn.

Josh

See less See more
#3 ·
It's too bad that I'm leaving Bellingham for the summer as school is getting out now. But I will be back up here come beggining of September. As an inspiring photographer, fly fisherman, and collage student I'd love to get out and do something like that. Maybe some cool shots of salmon/steelhead fishing on the Nook this fall.

#6 ·
I am planning on doing some hike-in fishing this summer where the scenery will be spectacular so if you are interested in that pm me. If you want to take photos of big fish then you may not want to come with me because I tend to catch small to average sized fish. I will also be fishing some areas that don't require hiking so options abound.

#7 ·
If I take you to my secret places...

Do you promise not to tell?
I have no idea if you are being serious or a smart ass. But no, why in the world would I tell anyone where someone took me? But if it is that big of a deal to anyone, the answer is probably that you don't need to have me around. This is supposed to be fun, not a stress causing type of thing.

Anytime your in the Seattle area shoot me a PM. I fish with a few knuckle heads from this site who are laid back and wouldn't mind sharing some brews and scenic honey holes.
I love knuckleheads and honeyholes. So good times!

As an inspiring photographer, fly fisherman, and collage student I'd love to get out and do something like that. Maybe some cool shots of salmon/steelhead fishing on the Nook this fall.
Drop me a line when you get back. I'll be around.

Doing any spey fishing? I could take you on some fishng adventures along the Stilly if you like and the Skagit next winter or even later this summer for cutts.
Without some serious instruction, having me with a spey rod would be a serious danger to everyone else around me. I have no experience with them. But I'm sure we could figure something out.

If you want to take photos of big fish then you may not want to come with me because I tend to catch small to average sized fish.
The most important thing here is that I want to take photos of people fishing. Of course if you catch a fish that you want a photo of, I'll be happy to shoot a photo. That's what a fishing partner is supposed to do.

But what I want to do is learn to take photos that show the "feel" of fishing (to use a stupid 'art-school kind of word). Maybe that's a photo like the cover of A River Runs Through It or maybe it's a photo of a pile of against a tree in a campsite. I have no idea. I just needed a new photographic challenge, and this one seemed like fun.

#12 ·
Without some serious instruction, having me with a spey rod would be a serious danger to everyone else around me. I have no experience with them. But I'm sure we could figure something out.
The offer was made. If you wish to tag along and take some pics thats cool. If you want to toss a spey rod also I can bring one along for you to use. Let me know.

#11 ·
Yeah, that's what I want to do. Send photos to a publication that thinks they "own" photos that are submitted to them:

"Entrants agree to grant F&H News and/or its assignees use rights for photos submitted for editorial, promotional or advertising purposes. Photos submitted become property of F&H News and will not be returned."

No thank you. There is a reason that I got tired of working for the editorial market.

#13 ·
If you are an artist then go find fly fishermen that are fishing and don't know you.
Go to fly only water and photo.
If you want to go fishing? You can go with me and take all the photos you want.
All the moving water around here is high now and or closed. Check back with me in July and later.
Take a trip out to Rocky Ford and check it out.

#15 ·
Gary,

I am no more an artist than I am a gastroenterologist. What I am is a very good photographer who wants a new challenge. After you get paid as a photographer for a few years, some of the joy goes out of the work. It's a cool job, but it's still a job. But one of the aspects that never gets old is being able to give images to people who appreciate them. That ends up being a lot more important than any stuck-up art gallery posturing and a lot more satisfying than a paycheck. Sure, I could go and hang out on some fly water and take photos, but it would be more fun to hang out with some nice people, share a few brews and shoot some photos that they would be proud to hang on the wall next to the tying bench.

If I wanted to find some people to take me fishing, I'd make a post saying "Hey, won't somebody take me fishing?". What I want to do is hang out and shoot some photos while people are fishing. Sure, maybe I'll make some casts myself, but I won't be annoyed if I don't. Only an ass would make a post saying "I want to go shoot photos" then pitch a fit because they didn't get to do any fishing.

I love fishing, but I love photography more. If that doesn't make any sense to someone, then I'm guessing that they aren't the kind of person who wants to have me around. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone feels differently about their passions in life.

#17 ·
After you get paid as a photographer for a few years, some of the joy goes out of the work. It's a cool job, but it's still a job. But one of the aspects that never gets old is being able to give images to people who appreciate them. That ends up being a lot more important than any stuck-up art gallery posturing and a lot more satisfying than a paycheck.
Two of the truest things I've heard in quite a while.

#18 ·
Well Josh, I don't know how old you are, but there is wisdom in your words.
There is a whole lot more to life than money.
The mist rising from a spring creek on a cold morning, fat trout slurping tiny bugs close to the overhanging grass.
Capture the moment on film, trap the memory to be shared forever.
Good friends are hard to come by.
If you get to the east side of the Cascades some time check in and we can talk more about the passion of life (fly fishing).
I have to apologize for teasing you about the "undercover photo dude".
I'm sure your heart is in the right place.

#19 ·
I too love photography, but I am just about as amatuerish as they come (I have a good digital camera but it is not an SLR - I do have an SLR, but it is 35mm film so I have not touched it since I went digital). Maybe I can learn a thing or two from you if ever you come fishing with me.

Tom

#21 ·
Shooting flyfishing photos lets me pull together for two things I love.
Josh, here's an idea. Just go fishing to go fishing and bring your camera along.

Most people I know seem to have a camera with them. If you have the EOS-1DS MK3 and seven lenses or something then you'll just end up getting some exceptionally badass pictures versus the dude with the disposable rite-aid special.

Sometimes the fishing might be hot and you stow the camera, then break it out again when your arm is sore from all the fish. It it's slow, then you have something else fun to do, and you can work on getting some classic shots for the cover of the Orvis catalog : )

Nice pics BTW, I love the snowboard shot.

#23 ·
Josh, here's an idea. Just go fishing to go fishing and bring your camera along.
No offense, but that isn't really a good way to be consistently successful at something like photography. At least not for me. Good photography takes a lot of effort and thought. At the very least, I can't be worrying about what fly to tie on next if I am trying to make serious images.

I need to be concentrating on one thing at a time. Otherwise I just do two things really half assed.

#25 ·
Jasmillo makes an interesting point. The photos that we all see of fly fishing, are they really showing fly fishing the way we see it? Or even the way that we want to see it.

My only thought is to point out where I came from photographically. All the professional work that I did for my first 5-6 years was snowboarding, skateboarding, BMX, wakeboarding, etc. I was completely disappointed when I watched my first fly fishing video. Holy crap, did it NOT make me want to go fishing. The AEG guys are the only ones so far to have made the kind of movie I would make if I were still involved with video work.

Fishing may pump a lot of people up, but I'm not sure I will ever see anyone as amped as some of the athletes that I worked with. It's hard not to get the blood flowing when you are trying to backflip off of a 40 foot cliff over a series of boulders. Or trying to ride through traffic through the open doors of the subway station, dodging the security guard and grinding a 15 stair rail. Those guys were all nuts. As bad (or worse) than any steelheader I have ever met.

However, I also think there is something to be said for the idealic quiet stream at morning calendar shot. I think most everyone can identify with that kind of imagery, especially if they were looking at a photo of themselves fishing in that same image. And to be honest, different styles stoke different people.

Guess what I am saying is that if I can get my head around the new challenge, my goal would be to be halfway between the skate/snow/bmx photos I used to do, and the kind of photos that are in the FFF calendar.

#26 ·
Fishing may pump a lot of people up, but I'm not sure I will ever see anyone as amped as some of the athletes that I worked with. It's hard not to get the blood flowing when you are trying to backflip off of a 40 foot cliff over a series of boulders. Or trying to ride through traffic through the open doors of the subway station, dodging the security guard and grinding a 15 stair rail. Those guys were all nuts. As bad (or worse) than any steelheader I have ever met.
You're absolutely right about that...flyfishing could not possibly get the blood pumping like the sports described above-I don't care how big the steelhead are!

That being said, flyfishing is an activity that stirs up something more to us than just enjoying a pretty, tranquill place. Like I said, there are a number of other activities that would allow us to enjoy these places without the frustration of being outsmarted by a 12 inch fish :)

Wait, I think I have an idea :ray1: that will allow you to combine extreme sports and flyfishing for you photographic pleasure......why don't you photograph someone flyfishing the "surfer" hatch for Great Whites off an Australian beach! I would buy that video! Any tiers on this board think they can whip up a quick "surfer dude" pattern?

In any case, post some pics of the trips you go on....I'd offer to bring you along but I'm new to the area and still trying to figure out my own secret spots as well! Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.