I want to start building rods...

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Nick Riggs, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

I really want to start making my own rods, but I haven't a clue where to start. I can manage all the materials (thread, blanks, guides, etc...) but I really don't know where to start when it comes to equipment. I've seen pictures of rod wrapping tools (Roper's) and I can build one myself, but is there anything else that I need to get?

2. Dylan D

Dylan D Member

You'll hear this advice a lot - take a class. I did, and it speeds up the process immensely.

3. Nick Riggs

Thanks, I never would have thought of that.

4. Joshw

Joshw Tamer of Trouts

All About the Fly in Monroe has rod building classes. I took one at the shop and had a great time, learned a lot of cool stuff and have now built 5 rods.

Josh

5. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    i learned from a video tape and haven't had really any problems, except a couple minor ones, but nobodies perfect. if you're not sure what all to buy then just order a rod building kit. i order from cabelas a lot because they are reasonably priced and offer quite a bit. the kits come with a couple of different colr threads, winding checks, guides, hook keepers, reel seat, cork handle and a basic building chart. i can't remember if tip tops come with the kits or not though. they're pretty easy to build, but if i was starting now i would probably take some sort of class.

6. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Take a class...

:cool:

7. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Order of preference :

1) Take a class

2) Take a class

3) Take a class

4) Work with someone who's built a rod before

5) Get a book

6) Just start doing it

I did a combo of 5 and 6, and I can tell you, that unless you are a pig headed son of a bitch, it's not worth it. So if you can't take a class, then try to find someone who can at least provide some guidance. The biggest problems you'll have; are fear of doing something wrong, and epoxy. Neither are as big as deal as you would think, and having someone re-iterate that to you while you make mistakes is *very* important.

But in general the class will be FAR more valuable to you than getting good equipment. Save your pennies, wrap in a cardboard box with a thread bobbin, do anything to get to a class!

Also, start with something cheap. I can guarantee that there is no way your first rod will be a thing of beauty (though the pride won't be any less!).

If you need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Finally, where the heck is Stanwood at?

-- Cheers
    -- James

8. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Stanwood is near Camano Island. You should give Greg's a visit in Lake Stevens. They are also great people and very helpful. I couldn't make it in during the times that he was giving his rod building classes, so he worked with me on my schedule.

http://www.gregscustomrods.com/index.htm

Christian

9. Nick Riggs

I'm going to take a class as soon as possible, thanks for the advice.

10. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Even if you are going to take a class, think about buying a low end kit from say Cabela's and having some fun with it.

11. martinrjensen

martinrjensen BambooBoy

Home Page:
    I can't argue with a class, but I think this is one thing that you could do following instructions from a book. You really don't need much in tools but you do need some way to rotate the rod after you cover the wraps with epoxy. the real cheap way, the way I first started was to have a shoe box and I put it on the mantle and cut notches in it. When I put the epoxy on the wraps, (I put it on in one coat) I then turned on a movie (on TV, a DVD will work) and rotated the rod 180 degrees every few minutes. Of course I wouldn’t do this today, I would just put it in my homemade barbecue rotisserie motor but the fact remains I used this method successfully for a few years.
    martin