I Will Never Fish The Cedar again!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bhudda, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Wow, you've got me all riled up and i've never been in a fight; carefull out there though, you never know who packs...

Much respect,
    RZ

2. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Atta boy Hulgan!
    That would be jacked up to be scrappin' with a meth-head in the water in waders...
    Good on you for sticking up for what you believe in.

BP

3. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Home Page:
    I have a similar story but it was on the snohomish. In 2003 i was in my boat on the snohomish fishing for pinks. After a morning of fishing, i decided to take a little boat ride up the river. There was a guy fishing on sum of the flats, they were only like 8 inches deep so i dont know what he was thinking fihsing there. I signaled to him and it appeared that he signaled back so i got hte boat on plane and went right by him. He started screaming and yelling at me, right after that i see a buzzbomb come right out of the water and over the boat and miss my head by about a foot. Turns out he had never took his line in. I turned around and he started throwing sticks and rocks at me. Then he took a knife out of his tackle box and threw it at me. It missed and went right into the water. I saw about 6 empty beer cans near him, I argued with him and was about to get out of the boat when he took out another knife. Instead i turn around and got away from him. I could still here him yelling even over the engine noise when i was about 200 yards away.

4. troutaholic

troutaholic Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for standing up for all of us Bhudda! In my view instead of stopping our use of the river, we should all make a point of hitting the trouble areas over and over again, preferably in groups. Maybe when people realize that we're going to be raining on their parade, calling 911 and taking photos they'll move on to some where else they can turn into their personal party-town/ sewer. I know it's a pain giving up valuable fishing time rousting knuckleheads and "asshats" (love that word!) but if we don't do something, who will? I've only been out to the cedar a coupla times this year but, I'll give a shout out next time I'm able so maybe a few us can fish the logjam together. Maybe as someone earlier suggested, some of the homeowners in the area will even get involved....

5. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    After you worked so hard on cleaning up that exact location I'm not sure you could be faulted in the least for getting physical.

You really should file a police report just to contribute to a paper trail, down the road we're going to need to show that these are not isolated incidents.

But holy crap; he really held you down and tattooed your arm? That's brutal. :eek: ;)

Have fun
    Paul

6. Jeffro

Jeffro Member

Just glad that you're ok man!!!

7. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Damn Bhudda!! I never get this type of excitement when I fish with you. I've only hit the Cedar once but sounds like I need to go stalk secion 4.

That sucks no doubt but don't stop fishing let's hit in a week or so. :thumb:

8. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Maybe if a few of the 'asshats' accidentally fell under the logjam... Not sure how that would happen, but maybe they would stop partying there if they realized how dangerous it can be...

9. DaveT

DaveT New Member

Hey Guys,

A suggestion, when it comes to dialing 911, for those of you who don't already know this. A sheriff told me that a sure fire way to get an officer to respond to the scene is to use the words "in progress" when talking to the dispatcher. The phrase "in progress" instantly heightens the priority of the call when an officer is being dispatched to various locations. It doesn't really matter whether it is actually occuring or you witnessed it happen, you should still say those two magic words.

Tight Lines (and hopefully no bloody noses),
    Dave

10. CastOMatic

CastOMatic New Member

Living by the river for for a few years now, Ive noticed that alot of people fished it even when it was closed years back. The funny thing is I could point to sections of the river where these wonderful people hang out almost every night. Fished the river a few time this year but run into the same problems so I think im gonna hang it up. That and maybe just call the fish and game everyday and report poachers in these areas until a little representation shows up.

11. Tickety

Tickety New Member

I fished the Cedar as well last night and was annoyed at not only the people floating down drinking and dumping there trash in the river but the booger eaters lighting off fire works. The most amazing thing I saw were the 2 guys walking up the river with spears "fishing for suckers".

Bhudda I agree with you about the problems on the Cedar. But the thing not to do is quit. My grandfather once told about a river that was fished the same way the Cedar is being fished now (ie d*psh*ts that are fishing with bait and those that take the trophies for dinner.) It took some time to educate the public on the changes to that river and I am sure several people ended up with bruised chins and egos! Now that same river is considered a "blue ribbon trout stream".

12. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    thanks guys for the replies, i dont think he wanted any of Curtis cuz hes bigger then me, but im glad it was just between me and the asshat.
    LMAO brendan! we called in some poachers "in progress" like 20 minutes before the incident happened and no one ever showed up.
    now that i can take a look at the loses -
    drowned cell phone
    hole/rip in waders
    shades gone
    the painkillers ive been saving:)

im not giving up per-say on the cedar, but until the place can be ENFORCED by LAW ENFORCEMENT then im outta there. there was a nice family at the next jam having a good time , no harm, seemed like they even kept every thing together to take out? anyways, it was 1 jake that was an ass, but im sure theres more. and oh yeah, ill take everyone up on there offers for fishing:):):) Pat, id love to catch up with ya here soon, not in a whitey kind of way tho:) ...............i had too:)

bhudda

13. Chromer

Chromer Defeat terrorism

Either this brings renewed meaning to the term "donnybrook", or a second Cedar River cleanup is in order using the aforementioned tools!

14. gordon

gordon New Member

Buhhda:

I don't know yah, but I sure feel for you and want to say thank you for sticking up for our rivers. I send you a pat on the back. I feel for your losses and bruises, hopefully that guy will not forget the incident.

Take care.
    Gordon

15. MrP

MrP Member

I have fished Lenice and Nunnally since the early seventies. Times have changed everywhere. Back then there were no willows around the lakes and darn few fishermen. There's way more of both now. Over the years the poaching increased and for awhile the parking lot theft became rampant. Once, in the early 90's, when I was walking out, I saw two "anglers" sitting on the bank with a 5 gallon, Jack in the Box pickle bucket holding several dead fish. They had spinning rods staked in the ground. I knew they were fishing bait but decided against saying something to them as there was a handgun laying on a gunny sack next to the bucket. I had fished Lenice every year for over 20 years. I didn't go back for several years. It was a non-confrontational experience but nevertheless very demoralizing.

Bhudda, I am very glad that you are okay. And yes, I'm glad that you stood up for what's right.

That year I typed a 7 page single-spaced page letter documenting poaching violations I had observed in the previous six months. I don't remember if it was still the Game Department or Fish and Wildlife at that point. Either way, they were, and are, extremely understaffed.

Your Cedar River story is also very demoralizing to me. I want people to care and to be respectful. Alas, it isn't always the case. There is no one, single, easy answer to all of this. I would like to sugget that we all continue to be good, diligent stewards of our environment and our resources. Might I also say please that the bats and hand gun posts can be seen as somewhat funny but could I please suggest that we all be careful. You never know when the hand gun on the gunny sack is holstered or simply in someone's coat pocket.