I wish my wife liked to fly fish!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Charles Beaver, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    My girlfriend fishes with me occasionally. She is a horsewoman (works with them for a living, and does alot of western trailriding). So that's her thing. So I dabble in horseback riding and she dabbles in fishing. Just that each of us respects the others true "love" and doesn't commit too much into it. Nice to have similar likes, but also nice to get away with your own friends. She prefers the nicer weather to fish with me. BUT, she has went winter steelheading with me (one trip we were floating the Hoh with the snow coming down). So she's not afraid to go out and get dirty, wet, and cold. Hell, she'll even touch bait (when I do use it). I have some pics of her fishing, should see if I can find them. Do have fishpics of her, but dead fish so not sure everyone wants to see them. LOL.

Oh, and thinking of Mingo (king fishing that is). She always wanted to catch a big fish. I got her into a big king (was about 35#'s), all male, all muscle. Took her yard many a times (those fresh from the salt fish are always the best, and a buck really lets your tackle have it). After a good hour fight (and I thought for a bit she foul hooked it) I got the fish up to my jet sled. Was fair hooked, but this male was a scrapper. So he did NOT want to come in. After that fish (and being sore in the arms) she prefered to fish for silvers and steelhead. She can't figure out my obsession for kings (since those big ones beat the crap outta you LOL).

2. JEB

JEB New Member

My girlfriend only wants to go fishing under the following circumstances:
    Good weather
    In the Canoe/boat (Lakes)
    Trolling (which usually means I'm the motor)
    and she gets to pick which fly is used.

To be honest it's usually about two or three times a year and I am more than likely trying two kill two birds with one stone, if you know what I mean.:thumb:

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    I will be happy to teach your women how to fly fish.:cool:

4. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Fuzzy, going fishing with a woman, with very few exceptions (1/1000?), is really about sharing some quality time and having a picnic where you also bring along a fishing 'pole'. But do not confuse that with going fly fishing. As pointed out by others, plan ahead to ensure an enjoyable outing, treat it like a date, and do not go to places with her that are new to you. Pick out spots in advance, find nice areas, i.e., no bugs, easy access, sunny days, etc., and spend the time with her. It is not her role to be your fishing buddy unless she has a passion for the outdoors, in which case she would already be there.

5. wolverine

wolverine Member

My ex-wife used to like to fish. As long as it was trolling from the boat. She never liked casting and retrieving. Now one of the questions that I ask a women on the first date is do you fish? Hey, when you're 60 you can cut right to the chase! Haven't found one yet who preferred fishing to shopping at Nordstrom.

6. Anyfish

Anyfish Fishing with the kids

"Haven't found one yet who preferred fishing to shopping at Nordstrom."

...but if you keep asking you just might!

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I must've missed that quote Anyfish. I actually am dating a woman who'd rather fish then go shopping at all (especially Nordstrom). She's happier shopping out of a Cabela's magazine (or one of her Equine suppliers) then shopping at the mall. So I'm blessed in that instance. So, there are woman out there who hate shopping at the malls (whoever it was who said that originally). Now, my exwife, right before our divorce she went into shopping overdrive (she had always loved to shop, but got worse). Glad she's gone now. LOL

8. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Yea mine love flyfishing stuff for Birthdays to. Last year she was happier with here new fishing net the the nice earings I got her. I also found out it was a good thing my parents got her fishing stuff for xmas since I did not. She was a little upset that all I got her was clothes and some jewlery. Course she forgot I did get here wadders {used} just before xmas.
    Now if only I could get her to tie flies to.

9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I tried that... once.
    Gorgeous fall day several years ago now. Had a new (to me) jon boat with electric motor to try out. Invited my bride out to Spada Lake to go for a boat ride, troll flies and see the fall colors. Noticed one couple parked at the lake, talking. And another vehicle, City of Everett Water Dept. truck, parked there but absolutely no one on the lake. But then, the Seahawks were playing Denver that day so I certainly wasn't surprised.
    So dare ve vas. Me and my sweetie in the middle of the lake, far side actually. Just lasily, half assed fishing, not even caring if anything bit. I hear voices. There's no radio here so before long I look over toward the boat ramp and there, maybe a mile away is a strobe light. My poop chills on the spot. I said to myself "self (I said) we're in trouble". So about 30 minutes (at top speed) later, we're at the ramp.
    It simply never even crossed my mind that the lake would be closed. (Jim-spare the rod, ever been unconcious?) There was no "closed for fishing" sign in sight. Asshole in the COE truck watched us put in, with gear, and never said a word. Then, when we're out of earshot he calls F&G. F&G guy was fine, nice guy really, but he had to write us up. Only after he started the ticket did I notice the COE evacuating the area. Ticket was for several hundred dollars beings that the lake was closed AND my wife had no license. What does she need with a license. Never fished a day in her life, before or since. (Jim - STOP! "I am not a crook". At least not by design.)
    So, on the way to court we pick up a license for Liz. Court was conducted such that 7 perps would stand before the judge as he would read them their rap sheet and they'd plead innocent of any crimes. We were in the second wave so we sat and watched as 6 out of the 7 perps before us were read a page from our diary. Yes, each one of them had EXACTLY the same story as ours. Same lake, same truck, same asshole, same cop. Don't know why none of them squeaked but we sure did when it was our turn at justice. I told the judge it sure seemed it would be cheaper for the City to post a sign than pay an employee to camp there day after day. He said "it does seem a bit suspicious doesn't it. Almost like there's something going on" (with a grin). Anyway, we had our fines reduced significantly, enough such that we decided not to fight it and raise hell.
    Several years later and she still doesn't want to fish with me. I don't get it, even though I buy her a new rod just about every year. (Maybe if she knew.)
    Actually, sometimes she does ask to go out with me and the girls (9 & 13). I'm pretty sure she's not too serious though, kind of a dance old marrieds do I guess. "No, (I say) that is a 3 person boat". (I had off'ed the jon and got a DB later, smallish for a reason.) "Why don't you go play with a girl friend" (better than "clean up the house" don't you think)?
    Sorry for the breeze, got carried away.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Jim won't say anything except that when I fish I usually know what is open and what isn't and look for any innocent looking people. Also you were lucky you were in a john boat because if you were in a rubber raft you would of gotten a bigger fine. Being that it is a watershed nothing other than metal or fiberglas can be used in there. I'll stop here.

Jim

11. Charles Beaver

Charles Beaver New Member

My wife and I came to a compromise, she likes comming with me on a stream and sit on the bank of the river while I wade-ONLY IF I CATCH SOMETHING!
    If I dont catch anything in 20-30 min she is ready to got walk around.

As fate would have it, I land the most trout when she is away.
    :D

I have to be honest:
    I think it would be nice if she liked to fish but I kind of like getting away to just be alone and calm myself down. I also enjoy my wifes dainty trates and feminen ways. I think it adds to my enjoyment of fishing when I cant do it all the time

Maybe I am wierd....:cool:

12. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

My wife VEE is an avid fly fisher and fly tier. To me this is a mixed blessing. She usually outfishes me on every outing we go on except my birthday (I think she clips the hook off her fly on that day). She's a great partner, usually out of sight up or down river from. I never know she's there except for the sound of "Fish On!" echoing from the banks. A huge plus is that our streamside lunches are great.

Before we got married my trips to the fly shop usually cost me about $50, now they run a hundred or more. When I get a rod/reel/line, I have to buy two, one for each of us.

Gift buying is a snap, Valentines Day last year I bought her a 6 wgt two hander, reel and line. For her birthday last year she got a Sage SLT 5 wgt, and this past Christmas she got a Fisih Pond Coyote tiers travel bag.

For Valentines Day last year I got a Jungle Cock neck, for my birthday (two days after hers) a Sage SLT to match hers, and for Christmas I got a Blue Eared Pheasant skin.

For our last anniversary we took a trip with Steve Buckner on the Cowlitz for SRC.

I wouldn't trade this woman in for anything, and hope she feels the same about me.

REE

13. Susie

Susie New Member

I am a flyfishing wife!!

When we first got together, my husband (boyfriend at the time) asked me if I wanted to go fishing. All I could think about was when my step dad would take me fishing when I was a little girl and use worms from a dock and catch perch. I told him that I thought it was boring.

He said to give it a try and took me to some of his flyfishing haunts.

The first time I went I knew this was for me. The solitude and beauty of the stream was more than I could ask for. Then I caught my first fish.

Now I have 3 rods, a float tube, a pontoon boat, 2 different types of waders and tie my own flies.

I would rather flyfish than do almost anything else. I just love it.

We sure would like to get together with other flyfishing couples.

Suz

14. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    this is the main reason why i like the idea of Canyon River Ranch/ Reds on the Yak...........

15. SSmith

SSmith New Member

That's how my wife and I met! Up on the Middle Fork. We go to Montana every year and fish the rivers around Missoula. Heck we even went fishing up in Alaska for our honeymoon and it was HER idea!