I wish my wife liked to fly fish!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Charles Beaver, Jan 18, 2006.

1. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Well Suzie there are at least a few of the wives and girl freinds at the Dry Fall trip every year. Feel free for you and your husband to show up and meet some others from this site. Of course that not to say that we could not get together a couples only weekend some time this spring, summer or fall as well.

2. Denny Wagenman

Denny Wagenman Active Member

My wife and I have floated and waded a lot of rivers, fished a lot of lakes together for many years. She doesn't like the long , long days on the rivers, but when she gets tired she will read a book while I find a place to ware. Quite frankly we have had many good time fishing together. I lost my other fishing buddy to cancer last year so for the time being she is my number 1.

3. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Thread reminds me of a conversation with an old friend/peer several years ago. (I'll make this brief) We both love golf and as we were shooting the breeze I realized, wow, this guys playing a lot. So I asked him how often he gets out. I believe him when he said "last year I played over 150 rounds". "Jesus Bob, how do you manage that" I said. "My wife loves golf and we play usually twice a week together". Lucky bastard!
    I'm getting there though. Liz, the girls (9 & 13) and I usually play once a week in the summer. Takes us 2 hours to play 4 holes but we're doin' it! I'm just not sure I have the patience to take on teaching all there is about fishing on a river with currents, hatches, line control, etc. Besides, how can she miss me if I don't go away.

4. dryfly09

dryfly09 Presentation With Distance

1. My fiance has never liked to fish what so ever until I introduced fly casting. That made her question weather or not to give the sport to try. She since has and has really enjoyed it.

2. It is most definently possible to convert her. If you put it out on the table that when you go fishing it will be something you can do together. Another way to go about it is to offer to do something that she enjoys doing if she tries fly fishing with you. But make sure that you are not the one trying to teach her to cast. It will just end in a fight and you won't get any closer to your goal of converting her. So have a guide or even a friend who is a good caster who is also laided back to teach her and she will respond much faster.

3. Yes in a way becuase then you get what you want. You get to chase fish as well as spend time with your wife. You will be a really happy couple as a result of all of this. Also the bonus is she can't get mad at you for wanting to go fishing. Becuase she always has the chance to go its whether or not she takes it. So you are a winner both ways.

Give it a try. I bet it will work.

5. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

try these, they go well with hip boots

[​IMG]

:rofl:

6. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Well now thats a show stopper.
    Don't suppose Mrs. Mingo lacks a tutor.

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

To each his own I suppose but I'm with Jim Swan on this one. My wife could give half a shit about flyfishing despite me taking her along and putting her into fish. I thought I had my youngest daughter almost converted to FFing when she one day realized there were BUGS out there and no toilets.

After 20 years of marriage and family life, I honestly look forward to going fishing as an opportunity to get away from them for some quality ME time. But about halfway through a day on the water, I find myself thinking fondly about them as I remember Dan Hicks singing "How can I miss you when you won't go away . . . ?"

K

8. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

This may seem kinda funny to ask, but I've got a question for you female anglers, how does the bladder hold up? The thing that keeps my wife from going fishing, is she can't keep up with my watermelon sized bladder! I like to go fishing for the whole day, but if I plan on going somewhere without an outhouse, then she won't go. Speeking of birthday presents, maybe I should get her one of those bladder bags...

9. Charles Beaver

Charles Beaver New Member

DryFly09
    Hey man, I lived in Fort Collins for 7 years. Went backpacking last October had a blast. Caught alot of Brookies and Bows.

I live in Greeley now.

10. Prettyfly

Prettyfly lurker at large

OMG... I love this thread... I sure hope my boyfriend reads this thread... Picnics on the shore, fine wine, the best flies... can you have romantical music? lol and if you really want to spend lots of time fishing on yours or her birthday bring citrinella candles and if possible organize someone to bring a special dinner for her complete with flowers. OoOoh.. a candle lit dinner on the shore under the moonlight.. *sigh*

I've only ever fished with a spin rod and fly fishing is something I've only just picked up because of my boyfriend. But I really like it. I like the idea of us doing things together that he likes, so hopefully he will do things with me that I like. There has to be that mutual respect for each other and a real desire to incorporate aspects of each other into your lives. You both have to have an interest in the things you each like for it to work, not everything but somethings. And the only way to guarentee that she will be more accepting of it (if she isn't already) is to take her somewhere she is going to catch a fish within the first hour of fishing. Once she's caught a fish, she'll be happy and more willing to either go off taking photos (make sure you have lots of film or an empty memory card) read a book, or whatever. Bring camp chairs too if possible or at least a blow up chair and don't complain about having to blow it up if you want to stay longer LOL. Her comfort = your ability to fish longer.

My boyfriend lives far far away, and the last time he came here.. I had to share him with his best buddy.. and the buddy didn't want 'girls' on their 2 week fishing trip.. not fair cuz I hadn't seen him for a few months too but.. that's their thing and I'm still new at it, but next time I'll get to go..

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Prettyfly, I wouldn't say it'll always be fine wine and romance (though I have actually done that while fishing with a girlfriend, but was more a date for her then a fishing trip for me back then). You are correct, her comfort=longer fishing. I always have a heater (and extra blankets) when winter fishing. Plus all the ameneties.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

And what might THOSE be, inquiring minds want to know?

Oh never mind, I just hit 2000 posts!

K

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Camp stove for cooking up the hot meal (during the winter, and sometimes during the summer if you're BBQ'ing on the bank), hot chocolate in the thermos, a bathroom of some sort (porta potty with some sort of screen to put around it), extra blankets (in case the others get wet), some snack foods. Hmmmm, trying to remember what else I used to bring (not including the heater, etc.). Found the more comfortable they are, more likely they'll go (or if they INSIST on going, the longer they'll let you stay and fish).

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Oh, I should add. Kent, you should've seen my driftboat back then (my old alumaweld). I remember taking one girlfriend, and literally had to tell my fishing buddy he couldn't go. Why? Because of all the extra weight I had in the boat with the "amenities". Luckily, I had a splitter off my heater tank that I hooked my stove into (still have that old coleman in fact in the garage). So saved on bringing another tank.

15. Prettyfly

Prettyfly lurker at large

Well no, not every fishing trip would be like a date.. but the first one should be special.. IMO anyway.. And wouldn't that just be so romantic if at first she thought it was just a standard fishing trip only to be surprised up the river or at a secluded beach to find a romantic picnic set up?... movies aren't just for entertainment.. they are for ideas...LOL

Just got off the phone with the boyfriend.. apparently the 2 week fishing trip is the buddy's 'guy thing' geez... first it's friday night boys night now it's 2 week van isle 'guy thing' ... I better get the whole nine yards when we go fishing... or I'm just going to pout about it... lol ... Course.. the buddy's vacation time is much different now... hmm... I think things are about to change regarding this 2 week 'guy thing' fishing trip... hehehe...lol.. but nah.. I don't want to rain on their parade.. and my boyfriend called me every day on their last fishing trip.. I liked that almost as much LOL.. a little freedom goes along way