Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

ID help please-mayflies

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  creekx 
#1 ·
Hello. Went creek fishing today expecting to be fishing like size 16-18 bugs then i find a bunch of these darker big guys? The darker one is like a ssize 10-12!

Then there were a bunch of these lighter colored guys. There were larger sizes of the white ones, they seemed to have extremely long tails. Similar in size to the olive one. Never was able to grab one of the larger white ones.

Heck my best fly of the day was a freaking size 10 4xl hook turk turantula. The fish in this creek rarely break 13" lol!

This is from northwest wa btw. North cascades.

Thanks for any help on this. New to fishing creeks.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
When I was a kid, there was a prolific hatch of those (or something similar in color) on a local walking-distance "crick." We concocted an all-gray dry that the fish would gulp with reckless abandon. Of course, we assigned it the ever-so-secretive name of . . . the "Grey" (the "e" spelling was to fool people, lol. If memory serves me correctly <debatable>, it was crafted with black sewing thread <all I could purloin from Mom's sewing box>, gray hackles & barbs & tips <too large, but beggars weren't choosers> and massive, bulky heads.). I haven't tied one in probably over 50 years; now I'll have to re-create it for old-time's sake!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.