ideal setup for limited backcast?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by VanAllen, Nov 6, 2017.

1. VanAllen

VanAllen www.riverforged.com

Home Page:
    I am unsure what setup to recommend to a relative who fishes a very particular kind of environment. They are interested in local lakes where wading is possible, but with almost no room for a backcast as the banks are lined with branches. They can wade out a couple of rod lengths and work their way along the shoreline. Right now, all they have to work with is a short 5wt fiberglass rod.

I figure a 9'-10' 6wt would serve the purpose, but what line would allow for the most effective roll casts and/or single hand spey casts?

2. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

VanAllen likes this.
  3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Definitely need to do a Spey style cast. Some sort of shooting head style line. A 9' rod can be advantageous when branches are over head. Nice crisp rods help.

I can Spey cast about 50-70' of line with my streamer rig and limited back cast room. I'm running a 7wt XP with an airflo 40+ and poly leaders. There are probably better rigs but that's my bass set up so I just use that.

VanAllen likes this.
  4. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Active Member

Ambush, it was made for those kind of situations, then they just need to know how to roll cast.

Tugs and VanAllen like this.
  5. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

The ideal set up would be a float tube, pontoon boat or pram! Sounds like they have the waders already. Cover the water, no private property and the only thing to snag on your backcast is the back of your head! :eek:

Starman77, Krusty and VanAllen like this.
  6. jwg

jwg Active Member

Ambush and roll casts sounds right to me.
    Fiberglass sounds good for roll casts too, I think.
    How short is his glass rod?
    Maybe a longer glass rod. Or overline a longer graphite rod to slow it down?
    Generally slower rods are recommended for roll casting
    J

VanAllen likes this.
  7. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I have had some good success with ambush lines with heavier rods. For lighter rods I have also used the following in the conditions that you describe:

Rio Trout Spey—clunky but does a great job with streamers and other flies that don’t need a delicate presentation—200 gr. On a 8.5’ 5 wt. sometimes a 9’ 4 wt ( a bit heavy). I used this set up on some alpine lakes in Wyoming ( 5 wt. rod) with good success where casting room was very tight.

OPST comando head less clunky than the trout spey...also it can be used backwards with a floating leader for a slightly more delicate presentation...(I have only tried this a few times on the recomendation of another WFF member) a 300 gr head with a 10’ single handed 7 wt. rod will cover unbelievable distance with little to no back cast room.

Rio Scandi body with appropriate head for the body. This is a very versatile and easy to cast set up when matched with the rod. I would use this option if you need more delicate presentations and have slightly more backcast room. The other bonus is that you can get these bodies for $25 at some suppliers. Using the body only with a 9’ level 10 lb fluoro line worked great with the 8.5’ wt. rod throwing large Dali-llamas on the Yakima this fall. I will definitely be using this set up again.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    VanAllen likes this.
  8. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

spey stuff is all the fad right now, but a 10' 6wt with an indicator taper (heavy or multi fly/indicator rig) or a double taper (single wooly bugger, soft hackles, dries) will be a roll casting machine.

ps. might want a slightly slower rod, not something ultrafast., or something fast overlined

9. VanAllen

VanAllen www.riverforged.com

Home Page:
    Thanks for all the feedback. He has a strong interest in practicing some single hand spey, so the longer 6wt with one of those lines will probably be the ticket. That way he can roll cast at ease, and practice his spey technique whenever he's in the mood.

Dustin Bise likes this.
  10. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Just realized I said I was running a 40+. Wrong! It's actually the bass/musky line which is really a shooting head with a built in running line. Sorry for the mix up.

VanAllen and Dustin Bise like this.
  11. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

basically the same line, maybe a more aggresive front taper on the bass/musky?

VanAllen likes this.
  12. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Yeah, I think it just turns over heavier junk.

VanAllen likes this.
  13. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

I agree with Steve for the price of your heavy head lines you could go to CL by a pontoon boat for $200

14. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

This answer to this question fits all sorts of alpine non-local lakes as well...the kind of place where a significant hike prohibits packing in watercraft.

15. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Local lakes seems like lowland lakes...unless we're talking mountain men....