Ideas for getting more Fish & Wildlife Officers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Paluch, Dec 4, 2017.

?

Would you donate money to pay for more WDFW officers?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure there are openings in a couple regions. Still not enough positions to have what I would consider enough officers to be able to handle the workload.

2. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Active Member

I'd buy those. And I NEVER buy lottery tickets.

3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

How many more than the current number do you considering enough? What are you basing that number on? What if the number of current officers used in a more efficient manner would work?

4. Matt Paluch

Home Page:
    There are currently 144 officers in the entire state. I think I remember that there are only 5 in Region 2 (where I live), but will double check. My personal opinion as of this moment is that enough would be around 500. I also know that that will not happen anytime soon - if ever. I'm basing that on the amount of area they have to cover and other, less scientific, theories. I do know that nearly every person I've talked with about this issue has agreed that more are needed.

As for efficiency, the workload is crazy high for these guys. They can't be two or three places at the same time. More bodies is the solution currently. How we get those additional bodies is the purpose of this thread.

5. Matt Paluch

Home Page:
  6. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Active Member

I was about to bring up this point, thanks Freestone.

In addition, prosecution of fish and wildlife cases are done by county attorneys, and the judges are local as well. Compared to drug offenses, murders, etc, most of the county attorneys don't think wildlife violations matter enough to get the attention they deserve.

Freestone likes this.
  7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

We already have a state lottery, it was suppose to fund the school system or so they said. Never panned out the money just disappears into the states coffers

8. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Too bad the punishment can't fit the crime by selling the poachers organs on the black market. Saves on jail expense and generates revenue.

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  9. freestoneangler

500... yeah, pretty sure that will be unobtanium. I suppose you could lobby to increase fishing and hunting fees to cover it. Nothing like this will happen with donations. Moreover, what does adding all these agents do for the state of fisheries? Are you expecting having them will change the trajectory of declining steelhead and salmon stocks?

10. Matt Paluch

Home Page:
    Poaching is rampant in many areas. Lenore was poached out pretty quickly. More enforcement = less poaching. Don't need to get to 500 to help. Any extra officers is good in my opinion.

11. freestoneangler

So more highway patrol officers will reduce speeding, more sheriffs will reduce tweaker burglary, more teachers will produce smarter kids... I see where you're going with this. Why is it every solution for some requires more government expenditure?
    facepalm-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

My quick analysis suggests the additional 346 WDFW officers will cost about $31M annually ($6000/mo and a 25% fringe). Let's assume all these officers would be directed to fisheries. Last data I saw showed about 10% of the state population buys a fishing license - which has dropped more than 50% since 1980. For arguments sake, lets say that equals 680,000. Think you can get everyone to agree to pay an additional $46/year?

12. Matt Paluch

Home Page:
    I think you're missing the entire point of the post. It's not about requiring anything. I'm asking how many people would donate money to get more WDFW officers. Obviously an enforcement increase would result in increased compliance. Right now we are in the wild west as far as poaching goes.

13. freestoneangler

Well, I don't want to wake you from this dream, but donations to fund a government agency is less likely than getting approval for even one more officer. That's why I tried to look at it from a different perspective. Now if you you want to sponsor "river watchers" that have no LEO jurisdiction, but can call for them much like the existing Poacher Hot Line, that might work.

14. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Wernt they trying to pass a law years ago where the local sherif could also act on behalf wdfw. I dont believe the law passed. Please corect me if im worng.

15. dustinchromers

dustinchromers Active Member

I wouldn't donate a dime to wdfw for more officers. Why? Do I want me officers? Heck yeah and I hate poachers more than herpes. I'll tell you why.

You see this is Washington. It's a complex state with complex issues but some things are simple. One, Washington and it's justice system don't care about game crime. Don't believe me? Sit in court and watch a game crime case. I've done more time for speeding or smoking a joint where I shouldn't have. Two. The other simple second fact is Washington would take the money and put it towards a social bridge to nowhere fund or some other such useless study to determine obvious answers then provide zero solutions. It's the Washington way. You see Washington is addicted to money. Addicted to workers money to pay for various things including those who don't work. It's a drug. They can't be rehabbed. Washington is doomed to budget shortfall because they will spend whatever they have then some.

So while I would love more enforcement they would likely concentrate on bui for people in pool toys or some other such useless crap policing. Like the guy on the inner tube is going to kill a family of four because he's had one too many. Gimme a break. Now if he gets in his truck, go get em. Either way it won't make a difference because the legislator will commandeer the monies and put it towards something you as I care nothing about.

Jonathan Tachell and spadebit like this.