Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Identifying fish

992 views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  plaegreid 
#1 ·
Hi all -

New to the site and fly fishing in general. I just started a few weeks ago. My forum name refers to the fact that I don't know any good spots, so I'm prospecting every time I fish :)

Anyway, I'm happy to report I caught my first fish today! A little 4" trout with a bit of blue coloring. I caught him on the upper MF Snoqualmie with a Royal Wulff. Great feeling to catch a fish and send the little guy on his way.

I've been looking around for a good site to help with identifying fish and haven't found anything (including a forum search - sorry for the probable repeat thread). Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks in advance for the help and for tolerating my newbie victory lap :)

#3 ·
I checked water flow data for the Snowqualmie today (based on a suggestion from the illustrious members of the forum, I've started a fishing journal). If I'm reading it right the volume is about 1/8th of historical average. Yikes.

Just realized I forgot to introduce myself. I'm in my mid 30's, work in software, moved to Seattle from the east coast about four years ago. Basically the classic profile of a transplant that's ruining the place - an invasive species if you will.

#4 ·
I checked water flow data for the Snowqualmie today (based on a suggestion from the illustrious members of the forum, I've started a fishing journal). If I'm reading it right the volume is about 1/8th of historical average. Yikes.

Just realized I forgot to introduce myself. I'm in my mid 30's, work in software, moved to Seattle from the east coast about four years ago. Basically the classic profile of a transplant that's ruining the place - an invasive species if you will.
Welcome to the forum and welcome to Washington. Where back east are you from?

#7 ·
To answer your original post question....
You can find prettier pictures, but you will need to check the Washington Fishing Regulations that were just published for 2015 .... anyway. You can find passable pictures of fishies in the State in the regulations, scattered about. I don't think printed 'pamphlets' (books!) are ready yet. Here is a link to the pdf version.....

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01726/wdfw01726.pdf

#8 ·
If you ever go for salmon, here's a flowchart to use as a general guideline:

Just remember that if you aren't sure what something is, keep it wet and release gently. Plenty of SRC, steelhead and bulls get bonked, especially during pink years. No bueno!

Also, welcome to the forum. Its a hoot.

#14 ·
It's a hoot so far! Thanks for the info, guys, definitely helps.

The fish I caught looks most like a steelhead smolt, but I caught it above the Snoqualmie falls. DFW doesn't stock above the falls, do they?
No, to your last question. All trout look alike when they are small, and to smolt stage. It would be useless to plant the forks as the RB's would just try to go out to sea and get killed going over the falls.

#17 ·
Great book here with life histories and amazing illustrations
Looks great. Ordered!

Thanks Old Man, didn't realize trout smolt all look basically the same. I'm less inclined to think it was a brook trout (though it was about the right size) because I didn't see much brown... simply a matter of seeing more fish, I guess.

I truly appreciate the warm welcome, everyone. If you don't hear much from me, it's because I'm too busy reading and keeping my dumb questions below quota. Tons of great info & perspectives in a couple weeks' worth of new posts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.