If you could only own one sinking tip for Steelhead...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by j herald, Jan 8, 2007.

  1. Jason Decker

    Jason Decker Active Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Messages:
    2,626
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Issaquah, WA
    Home Page:
    how bout a versi tip line and just get one or 2 tips to start with
     
  2. sashjo

    sashjo Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2003
    Messages:
    539
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Lakewood, WA.
    STS,
    That 425 gr line is a pleasure to cast. I only lost a handful of flies last week. I lost a boxful by nymphing with a floating line the week before. I really don't care if I lose a fly and at least my fly is getting to the bottom of the river where it needs to be to catch fish.
     
  3. fishkisser99

    fishkisser99 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2003
    Messages:
    98
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Eastsound, WA
    Wow, one sink tip? Even given the excellent advice posted here, I'm not certain...

    softwaterstructure has a good point...learn to build your own. After all, attaching a loop connector is no more difficult than tying a decent muddler. Easier, even...

    Really, it's the line that catches the fish--not the fly. If you're to match the sink to the water you're fishing, it is more important to have a variety of tips than it is to have a variety of flies.

    I carry a spool with a dry line, mostly for top- and greased-line presentations, occasionally used for nymphing, as well as a spool or two with a floating belly and running line, with a loop connector for different tips. Length and weight of the tip are determined by the rod being used, and the water being fished. Given the cost of pre-built sinktips and their (limited, unfortunately, sometimes) longevity, I deemed it appropriate to buy in bulk and make my own: just because the prepared tips are sold in 15' lengths doesn't mean they work best that way, given any stretch of water. Build a 20'. Build a 5'. Summer? Get on those clear intermediates. Fishing fast water a lot? Look into a leadcore tip to your type III.

    "Steelhead Fly Fishing and Filies" by Trey Combs is an excellent place to start...and read everything available on Dickson's website. It ain't so much the size of your wand as it is the way you wave it...

    ...and whatever line, I hope you keep it tight--
     
  4. softwaterstructure

    softwaterstructure Banned or Parked

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    inside seam
    i only lost a handful of flies all of last winter. you don't need to be on the bottom to catch fish.
     
  5. Denny

    Denny Active Member

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2001
    Messages:
    4,265
    Likes Received:
    93
    Location:
    Seattle, WA, USA.
    Get a multi-tip line. Although it is a little spendy, it comes with 4 or more tips, which would be the equivalent to 4 lines (about $200 or more). And, you don't have to have 4 spools; one spool will work for you, so you save money on the 3 spools.

    With this base setup, you can purchase other shooting heads and/or line like Cortland LC-13 to customize and add additional heads to the system.

    I have a 5, 7, and 9 weight multi-tip lines, and they are very useful.
     
  6. Salmo_g

    Salmo_g Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2004
    Messages:
    8,725
    Likes Received:
    3,106
    Location:
    Your City ,State
    Scientific Anglers introduced its Hi-Speed, Hi-D sinking line in 1977. Since that time I have used a 15' sink tip made of this material for easily 95% of all my winter steelhead fishing. If I could have only one sink tip line for steelhead fishing, it looks like I've cast my vote for this line again and again.

    Sincerely,

    Salmo g.
     
  7. Nooksack Mac

    Nooksack Mac Active Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2002
    Messages:
    2,108
    Likes Received:
    199
    Location:
    Bellingham, WA, USA.
    My experience parallels Salmo G's: a 15-foot spliced-on tip of SA HiSpeed Hi-D, which is about the same density as their newer Type IV. I've used that for about 85% of my single-handed steelhead fishing for decades (a 10' medium sink tip or a floating line gets the remaining 15% of use).

    This kind of discussion question ("If you could have only one ------") is useful for prioritizing choices, but taken literally, it is unrealistic, and a little scary. Who would dare limit us to one: the Taliban? (It may come to that in a few decades, if the Party of Defeat directs U.S. foreign policy toward the Worldwide Caliphate; but I'll be fishing along with my own 72 virgins by then.)
     
  8. HauntedByWaters

    HauntedByWaters Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    Messages:
    2,935
    Likes Received:
    289
    Location:
    Bellingham
    WTF!?!?! Is that the response you were expecting?