If you were to buy one spey rod, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sam Matulich, May 1, 2012.

1. mammoth spey

mammoth spey New Member

How big is the water your going to fish most of the time? that will play into your decision a lot. and do you want to hook that Chinook or actually land it? don't discount the price and importance of the line, a line that's not right for the best rod in the world will make that rod feel lousy.
    Terry

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I scored a TCX 7126 (aka Deathstar) used for $500. It's a premium rod that I'd go out on a limb and say is better than the Zaxis. Spend the rest on lessons (invaluable) an echo ion reel (cheap and reliable $100) and a couple of lines ($50 ea). Save yourself some frustration and just get 10ft sections of t-8,11,14. ($10 each if you tie your own loops)

3. Sam Matulich

Sam Matulich New Member

I like all the replies. Yes, I agree that spending some of the money on a good inexpensive rod and the rest on quality lessons is going to be a great way to go.
    The reel that I am going to use is a Ross Momentum 5, holds about 250yards of backing plus the 9wt Rio Atlantic salmon/Steelhead taper line, would guess that this is more than enough reel for spey lines. I do have two spools so I could go running line integrated with the skagit/scandi head and set up two spools, or just use one spool and have a separate running line and skagit/scandi heads.
    I am planning on getting out to Fall City at least one of these weekends to check out the 'day on the water' and start to get a feel for spey rods in general. Sounds like there are many to choose from which is great.
    BTW, I already have a switch rod that I have been playing with in the past couple of months (Beulah Platinum 7wt). It is fun, but not the easiest to learn spey casting with.

flybill likes this.
  4. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    +1 for cheap rod and lessons. James Mellow and I are best friends and fish a fuck-ton together. We both swing flies exclusively skandi summer, skagit winter. If you asked us what is the best rod we would have polar opposite replies. I hate his rods (way too soft) He thinks mine are too fast.

Different strokes.....

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Back in the day we all fished each other's rods. Everybody had something different and everybody built thier lines a bit different. It was a great time in the 2 handed world. Lots of stuff to try and everyone enjoyed what the other guy was trying to do. Now, you ask a question on a board and get a 100 different answers. None of which means a damn thing because you don't have it in your hands. Go to the river, makes some friends and try their setups. You will figure out which ones are right for you. And you will still get all of the different opinions but now they will be standing in the water next to you where what they say might actually mean something.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

John, if my best friend spelled my last name wrong I'd grab his stiff rod and beat him with it. Totally not bromantical!

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Don't buy one. Go to a day on the river clinic and try anything and everything that is there. If you find one, two or ten that you feel comfortable casting, then start asking the owner what the rod's capabilities are. Based on your target species and your ability to cast the rods you should soon find a few options. A cheap rod does NOT mean that it does not perform well. Less expensive rods often may be of heavier construction, made outside of the USA or are from lesser known or marketed companies. If you find the rods too heavy, you may find yourself needing a state of the art high tech rod that is made of ligher materials or processing. The more you try the more you will find the one or ones best suited for you. The ones that work for someone else may be the last thing that will work for you.

kamishak steve likes this.
  8. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

buy a used burkheimer... there is a great 8 wt for sale on the spey pages right now..

9. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

That's like telling a 16 year old kid to go to the race track and report back on what his favorite exotic car was. Basically buy a decent rod and a bunch of lessons. You'll be buying a second rod in a year based on learned preference. There's not much avoiding it :D

10. kamishak steve

kamishak steve Active Member

gotta agree with mumbles on this one. Get some lessons, figure out what your style is a little bit, maybe even buy a cheap one (cheap does not necessarily mean bad, Echos/TFo's a great sticks) and learn to cast. It's sort of like asking someone to pick your favourite scotch for you when you've never had a sip of alcohol. Until you know what you like a little bit, and you've gotten drunk a few times on the cheap stuff, you really don't know what to look for in the expensive end of things.You're going to get a lot of varied opinions because a lot of guys on here have been drinking scotch for a long time and very specific tastes. metaphorically speaking of course...:D

SanFranFlyFish and Ed Call like this.
  11. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

I disagree. Just use your gut and pick one you think looks the sexiest and has the coolest name. Then learn how to use it. They all work.

12. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I'd get the Beulah Platinum 12'4 #8

13. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I would run your question by Poppy at the Red Shed. He puts together affordable packages that are very high quality. I also agree with Ed to try and make a spey clave if you can. The rod makers are usually there, they are great guys, and will let you try their gear out and offer a few tips and suggestions on casting and gear.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

The Sandy Spey Clave is later this month, and every rod under the sun will probably be there to try. And numerous experts to help you out. Probably the best weekend a Spey newbie could spend.

Sg

15. Sam Matulich

Sam Matulich New Member

That sounds like a great opportunity. I will see what my work schedule is like, but I am really considering heading down for a couple days. Thanks for the heads up.