illegal float plane coho fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jonathan Tachell, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

It is pretty clear that "guiding for salmon" on the salt without a charter license is illegal.

From quote from PT above is directly from WDFW's website and there is no mention of needing a vessel.

A number years ago the state placed a cap on the number of "charter license" (248 or thereabouts) so the charter/salt water salmon guide fishing is a limited entry fishery. With that cap on the license one interested in guiding in that fishery they have to buy a license from someone with an existing license at more than face value. This business of salmon guiding without the proper license has been a long time problem. It gets interesting on the lower Columbia where those "guides" leaving from the Washington side of the river would need one of those limited entry license but they can get a non-resident guide license in Oregon that has no limit on the number of licenses issued - the only catch is that they must leave and land their catches on the Oregon side.

From the FAQs section of the link provided in the earlier posts-

If I charge a fee to students for instruction in fishing techniques on the water, do I need a guide or charter license?
    Yes, if the class includes on-the-water instruction with gear capable of catching fish.

Closing another common used loop hole.

Curt

2. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Don't you guys know this is America when you have deep pockets you can do anything you want. What ever happened to the fishing reports and cool pictures of places I haven't been 2 yet? All we have now is people crying because someone posted a report on pnp and Orvis seaplanes. Go fishing guys and gals there's plenty of salmon the seaplane didn't get them all

rory likes this.
  3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Where's a padlock when you need one.

David Dalan likes this.
  4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

i actually think the sea-plane is a pretty cool idea, although i would prefer going to secret spots not very accessible to the public which illegal bob has stated is not the plan. i would also like to go with guides who don't screw the legal guides by not being properly licensed for the fisheries they target.

there is no excuse for illegal guiding, and no excuse for supporting it.

5. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

Wow this is great stuff. Atta boy Bob! I'll let you borrow my gopro.

Isn't there something about a pot being called black?

CLO and Chris Bellows like this.
  6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Jonathan, did you try contacting these guides privately (PM) before posting this possibly slanderous thread? If you are right or wrong aside, it seams calling someone's professional integrity into question, on a open forum, without getting their side of it first. Well, that would be just rude. Hopefully you did and this thread is do to a lack of response from them.

Jeff Dodd and Dan Nelson like this.
  7. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

No. I contacted no one. A company advertised it and I am simply making people aware of the legality (or lack there of) the endeavor. I have not named names or companies, just provided facts.

I would hate to see a fisherman book one of these trips and get mixed up in a legal issue because they have placed trust in the integrity of the company in question.

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Please read what Smalma posted above, this may not be legal.

9. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

For pete's sake, he spoke with the Attorney's General office. It's one thing if you think he's being hypocritical in this endeavor based on his stance on guiding for steelhead, but it's pure bullshit to attack him on legality issues.

Jeff Dodd and Dan Nelson like this.
  10. smc

smc Active Member

The document specifically states "This document describes WDFW license requirements for guides and charter boats."

You have to read the what follows in the document in context to that statement.

Dan Nelson and Jonathan Tachell like this.
  11. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Again, Really?

12. 9iron

9iron Active Member

It's a wonder that anyone who's worth a damn or knows his ass from a hole in the ground even bothers to post here anymore.

Mike T, chodder, Dan Nelson and 2 others like this.
  13. smc

smc Active Member

Thanks Bob. It's clear to me that using the seaplane to access beaches, and then to fish from those beaches, does not require a "Charter License".

However, Salmon are classified as "Food Fish". As regards the Game Fish Guide License, from the same page:

"Game fish guides can operate statewide, but are limited to offering services relating only to fishing for game fish."

This tells me that you cannot guide for Food Fish (Salmon), unless you have a "Food Fish Guide License".

Unless you can point me to something that specifically exempts a Game Fish Guide from the Food Fish Guide requirement when guiding in the salt (which would make no sense), your argument that the requirement for a Food Fish License is for fresh water Food Fish only may be deficient.

PT and Chris Bellows like this.
  14. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

Under frequently asked questions. Can a gamefish guide license holder offer guide services for salmon or other food fish? No

15. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

This is really confusing to me. On one hand it really seems strange that people who really know what they are doing wouldn't have already determined that what they are doing is legal or not. So in the case of Orvis offering this service, it just would seem to me that they have crossed their "T's" and dotted their "I's". Then again I tend to be too trusting so maybe not. I really want to give these guys and all guides for that matter the benefit of the doubt but it is becoming harder and harder to do so.

smc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.