Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

I'm gonna puke

3K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Don Freeman 
#1 ·
I looked at wa lakesdot com for some reports, and I couldnt belive what I saw about Munn lake. pisses me off.

#3 ·
The responses in that thread say it all. We may never know but it looks like the lake just got about 12 pounds of biomass for feeding the ecosystem. A fish that nice should be treated like the royalty that it was so that others could enjoy meeting it some day.

#14 ·
This incident is currently under investigation by WDFW. Please do your part to help educate anglers about the value of proper fish handeling.

Munn Lake is currently managed with the "selective gear restrictions." Beginning May 1st it will become Thurston Co. only year round catch and release water.

#16 ·
Why don't some thoughtful fisherman or fly fishing club make up a bunch of cheap dehooking devices with dowel and a half eye hook screw and hang them at the launch. Post signs with instructions on proper use and fish releasing tips. Have the sign say "Please use and return for the next fisherman". if you are worried about people taking them paint them hot pink or something.

#18 ·
That's a good idea, why don't you make a bunch up and get them to me. Sounds like you're a thoughtful fisherman. We're organizing volunteers starting lowland lake opening day to explain regs, pinch barbs and re-direct would be harvesters to one of the 60 or so lakes in Thurston County that allow kill fishing. I'd like to collect a wad of wooly buggers, chironomids, Dick Nite Spoons and anything else giuys might find in their old tackle to offer people that show up expecting to take fish under the old regs. South Sound Fly Fishers is fronting the effort since we're here in town, but we're getting tons of help, notably Aaron 'Brien of Chinook Signs in Bainbridge Is. who donated a notice of the changes that must be worth hundreds of bucks. We installed it yesterday after policing the trash.

Point is, many groups and individuals are pitching in, SSFF, Puget Sound FF, Northwest Womens Flyfishers, and others have already stepped up. Instead of wondering "why don't some thoughtful fisherman etc...." do something; just do it.

Anyone who can help, pm me here. I'm coordinating the volunteer effort since I live nearly a mile form the lake, and somebody's got to do it.

#21 ·
Thanks for the offer, Marc

Anyone can contribute by sending stuff you think can help to

South Sound Fly Fishers
Munn Lake Donations
PO Box 2792
Olympia, WA 98507

I'll cipher some on designing another sign, but between the coastal cutthroat project, and the postings at Munn, I feel like I've been to that well.

I'm really looking forward to those pink de-hookers though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.