In-touch or other low-stretch lake line reviews?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

No wonder you have so many extra flies laying around your tying room. I guess I just like tying more than you.

troutpocket likes this.
  2. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

A friend and I was fishing the honey hole on a lake using the same fly he was catching fish and I was not the main difference was I was using 8 lb maxium he 4 lb fluoro I switch to 4 lb immediately start catching fish I think that day we total over 40 fish in 15 ft of water maybe 30 yard area

3. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

1x Flouro? There are people who use 3x mono for summer run steelies...

I will admit I tend to use heavy tippet, but maybe one x level lower then needed. I think if you moved to a 3x flouro you will get better strike detection as the tippet is more supple. Might also get more takes, and I think your fly will have better action, especially if its an 8 or smaller. Tbh I am not sure if the whole flouro mono debate makes that much difference, the best fish I've caught in a lake was on a type 3 ancient history line uniform sink with I think 3x mono, and the lake in particular gets lots of pressure and had very few tanks caught recently when I was there.

Gotta love large Pennask!

4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Well, summer run steel are not nearly as line shy as selective water stillwater trout, so you can get away with different tippet material. Even so, I use 3X flouro on summer run steel and do far better than the mono crowd.

As for troutpocket needing better strike detection, as someone who fishes with him on a regular basis, I can attest to the fact that he does not need better strike detection and he is able to work flies quite well.

Flouro versus mono debate in my opinion is a no brainer. Yes at times it doesn't matter but other times it most certainly does for so many reasons. Why mess with that as a variable when your trying to figure things out?

Yes, I do love large Pennask!

5. pond monkey

pond monkey Active Member

In the sport of fly fishing there is always a point at which everything (the details) matters ....We just don' t alway know where that point is.......

chief likes this.
  6. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

And your point is? Mine is eliminate every variable that you can to begin with.

7. pond monkey

My point is since details are so important one ought do your best to address 'em all the best that you can, even though you may doubt the necessity at times...

Irafly likes this.
  8. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Moving to 1x fluoro has been a progression. I started out in stillwaters fishing 5x mono. I broke off a lot of fish. I eventually moved up to 3x fluoro but still broke fish off when they took me down into weeds or sticks. I had a conversation a few years back with Denny Rickards and mentioned that I hated breaking fish off. He told me he used 1x fluoro with a non-slip loop knot on every fly that he could fit it through the eye. I scoffed and told him stillwater fish are leader shy. He asked me if I had every tried? Well, now I have and I like running that heavy tippet for several reasons. It rarely gets wind knots, pretty much never breaks off on fish, and almost never breaks off on snags either. I either end up hauling in sticks or bending out the hook. I have also found that my 2x heavy streamer hooks will bend out on fish as well.

I'm not saying it's for everyone and it's mostly overkill on my local waters. . . but fish still eat my flies and I don't break off anymore!

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  9. pond monkey

I hope that you don't mind me commenting .....I have found over the years that using fast action rods can account for a lot of lost fish... due to tearing flesh but also break offs....increasing tippet size is one way to compensate .....but medium soft tip rods like Winston BIIX or Sage SLT series allow one to land very big fish with smallish flies and 4X high grade tippett...and that is by applying plenty of pressure...IMHO

10. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

Interesting, moving to 1x flouro has been a progression as has the stiffer tips of fly rods, and at times a down sizing towards 5 and 4 wt fly rods for lakes as fast action rods become the norm.
    I wonder if we will see a development in fly rods away from fast action stiff tips towards slightly slower softer tips, or is that happening now?
    I am with pond monkey on this one, and I will add that big fish do not always eat big flies.
    Just ask Brian Chan or any chironie fly fisher up in BC, or those who have micro leeches in their boxes!
    I also wonder if the slightly stretchy lines protect lighter tippets then these new low stretch lines....

11. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

This is getting interesting ---- HA

12. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Umm, yeah. Anyway, I'll post a report of my new line when I've have a chance to fish it a bit.

:rolleyes:

Irafly and Mark Kraniger like this.
  13. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

:rolleyes: Thanks for sharing your experience Trout and look forward to your line report! As I wrote I'm looking for a new #3 sink rate trout line and the damn things are expensive.

14. tkww

tkww Member

Most of my break-offs occur at the strike or shortly there-after, meaning my rod is pointed at the fly or somewhere much closer to that direction than up and playing the fish. So I guess I'm not seeing rod action as as big of a factor. I'm not advocating for fast/super-fast rods, as I think they're just not very much fun to cast and not as fun to fish. But I guess I don't see them as that big a factor either.

The two spools 2x fluoro I have laying around are 11 lb and 12.5 lb. If you're getting somewhere close to 100% strength and you're having problems breaking off, you're doing something wrong. I have far more issues straightening hooks or tearing out, and I'm not even using 1x. Even well-tied 4x will straighten out a thin-wire hook and sometimes even standard wire.

15. pond monkey

Far more issues tearing out ( flesh).....a softer rod will cure that...I have fished with very veteran anglers who thought they were losing bigger fish due to what they thought was "the barbless factor"....but later learned (as I had ) that it was the rod...