indicators in fly only water?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by I love babies, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Try this rig, you can nymph fish under an indicator and finish with a swing at the end. Kind of like your all in one rig (if you put a hook on your yarn indicator you'll even have a dry fly in there;)). But for real, soft hackle flies at the end swung can yield some really nice results.
    [​IMG]

2. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I'm always down. Honestly, I get what you're saying about complicated mends and constant attention to line control, although on the NF Stilly i don't think the seams are that complex. I don't begrudge anyone the way they get their kicks ( I used to fly fish the deer creek run high on acid...)
    On any other river nothing bothers me at all about nymphing etc etc. I'm not a purist at all, I just can't bring myself to use a bobber on the NF Stilly.

A north/ south trade off would be fun. I can put you on the beach sight casting to fish so picky that permit fishing seems easy :) also it's TUNA SEASON and MAKO SEASON!!!!! Bring a 12 weight- and the biggest damn reel you've got

ChaseBallard and Irafly like this.
  3. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Ira could catch a mako under an indicator.

Irafly likes this.
  4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

There is some heavy mind blowin concepts being layed down here !

5. billp

billp Active Member

I bet if you tried you could knot up that 15" of indicator line enough to make it look kinda like a bobber.

Alexander and sopflyfisher like this.
  6. stilly stalker

I bet if you add a few more blood knotted flies to that rig it turns into a gill net once it hits the water

CLO likes this.
  7. jwg

jwg Active Member

Back to the original question

Some responders have stated definitively that indicators are legal on flyfishing only waters.

I'm curious what is the basis for this.

As I read the regs, the language is " angler may use ONLY the following tackle ... Flies... Fly line... Backing.... Leader.... " and not "fixed spool reels ... Bait... Weight attached to the leader or line". ...

In flyfishing only waters an indicator would be something that is not among the ONLY items that are listed and allowed above.

What am I missing here? Or am I overthinking it?

J

8. jwg

jwg Active Member

P.s.
    My question is not about taking sides, it's an issue I have raised before in another context.

J

9. stilly stalker

I suppose you could get around it by using the indicator lines if you wanted
    I asked the warden on the Stilly about bobber fishing one day a few years ago and the way they interpret the law is that since it isn't expressly forbidden, it's legal
    Even the N Umpqua has relaxed its strict policies on the fly only water- sink tip lines allowed.

A sign of the times i suppose.

10. underachiever

underachiever members only

I can't speak to the wording in washington's regs, but Oregon has many fly fishing only waters and most allow indicators. If you look at the regs for the fly only stretch of the North Umpqua it explicitly outlaws things that are allowed on all the other "fly only" waters.

11. stilly stalker

Except you can use sinking lines on the N Umpqua fly water now

12. billp

billp Active Member

really? all year long? I haven't been over there in years, like 15 or so but used to fish it often when I lived closer. When and how did that change? I kind of liked that rule over there. Kept the pressure down I think. Of course I kind of view sink tips on the same level as using a indicator.

One you are a goddamn bobber fisherman, the other you might as well be swinging a blue fox. Heathens either way.

13. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Dang you sop, I wanted to be the one to ask when the heck we were going to share a beer and fish together. I even meant to put it in my post. Seriously, never have been offended and I enjoy the passionate exchange of ideas. For example if stilly and I do make it out and the idea of the indicator really bothered him that much, I'd hook steel some other way on the North Fork. After that though all bets are off.

DanielOcean likes this.
  14. stilly stalker

The N Umpqua rule changed this year or last- can't remember

15. golfman44

golfman44 5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Don't fall for the bait of fishing with Ira. You'll take him out to teach him a new fishery and he will be the only one who catches fish. To make matters worse a fish will actually hit his bobber instead of the fly you're fishing.